UMass students came together to Stand Against Racism -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass baseball gets swept in four-game road trip to Florida Gulf Coast -

Monday, April 27, 2015

of Montreal and Toro y Moi to co-headline Pearl Street this weekend -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass administrators exploit and disrespect graduate students -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Bike Racing Club brings energy and excitement to bike racing -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Sonic Youth’s ‘Bad Moon Rising’ still stands as crucial career turning point -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse cruises past GW on Senior Day -

Monday, April 27, 2015

How to stay sane during the long summer -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass softball drops pair of games against first-place Dayton -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Take Back the Night event raises awareness about sexual violence -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Demetrius Dyson to transfer from UMass basketball -

Saturday, April 25, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Delaware 10-9 in regular season finale -

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Brett Anton stands tall against UMass men’s lacrosse, Minutemen stumble into playoffs -

Friday, April 24, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse cruises toward regular season A-10 championship with win over Richmond -

Friday, April 24, 2015

UMass softball hits the road for big test at Dayton -

Friday, April 24, 2015

Long-time campus radio host banned from WMUA, status of station adviser unclear -

Friday, April 24, 2015

Celebrating 125 years of the Daily Collegian -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

SGA expresses support for Survivor’s Bill of Rights -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

UMass blanked by Boston College in Beanpot Championship -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Second annual yogathon stresses Earth Day ideals to individuals -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Minutemen take first series of the season

Just a few hours after losing to Richmond, the Massachusetts baseball team rebounded to win the deciding game of a three-game series, 6-3, on Sunday afternoon at Earl Lorden Field.

Jared Freni got the win for the Minutemen (4-18, 3-6 Atlantic 10), by pitching eight innings in which he struck out 13 Spiders’ hitters while allowing only three runs.

UMass coach Mike Stone called Freni’s outing an outstanding performance. “He just battled through a couple of tough innings and really went a long way,” Stone said. “He had some great short innings when he needed them to stay in the game.”

It was a major accomplishment for the senior and co-captain of the team, who had struggled in his first four starts, allowing a total of 25 runs in 21 innings. However, he was able to make adjustments in this game after laboring in his first three innings.

“[Freni] got in a good rhythm and was more fluid,” Stone said. “That makes a big difference as far as his command is concerned. It was good to see he made those adjustments.”

Glen Misho pitched a scoreless ninth inning to earn the save against Richmond (15-15, 3-6 A-10). It was the first save of the season for the Minutemen.

“[Freni] had thrown a lot of pitches and at a certain point you have to give it to your bullpen,” Stone said. “Fortunately, [Misho] came in did a nice job finishing up. He was throwing the ball hard.”

The offense collected six runs, all scored by different players. Eight of the nine starters had base hits, and no one had more than one run batted in. Despite a balanced effort, Stone thinks improvements still need to be made.

“We left a lot of people on base and in scoring position,” Stone said. “Sometimes, all you need to do is take a good short swing and drive the ball into the outfield and we just didn’t do that. We could’ve scored a lot more runs if we executed better in those situations.”

The series began on Saturday after Friday’s game was postponed. The first game of the doubleheader ended with the Minutemen walking off with the victory in 13 innings.

Senior Mike Donato was hit by a pitch to begin the bottom of the 13th inning. After a walk to Brian Baudinet, junior Peter Copa hit a deep fly ball to left center. The runners tagged up with Donato heading to third base. He was able to score the winning run after the Richmond shortstop mishandled the ball on the relay.

Sophomore Leif Sorenson pitched six effective innings of one-run ball in relief to get the win. His effort followed starting pitcher Nick Serino who went seven strong innings, striking out 10 batters.

“[Serino and Sorenson] pitched very well,” Stone said. “That was a good one to win, it made a difference for us. It was a battle all the way through and everyone was pulling for each other, so it was great.”

The middle game was played in the span of two days. Action was suspended on Saturday due to darkness, and completed in the early afternoon on Sunday. Despite losing the middle game of the series, the Minutemen earned their first series win of the season.

“To get on the right track, to take a series is really important,” Stone said. “It was great the way we responded as a team [after losing the middle game]. We were able to bounce back. I think we can play better. I really do.”

Stone hopes his team is able to carry this series victory into what he calls a tough week ahead.

“We played a good home series and came out at the top end of that,” Stone said. “That’s got to give you a lot of confidence going forward.”

Senior Bryan Leigh will start against Boston College on Tuesday. It will be his first start since March 17 against Oklahoma. UMass will then host Northeastern on Wednesday before traveling to Rhode Island for another three-game series.

Pete Vasquez can be reached at pvasquez@student.umass.edu.