Paranormal Research Society seeks to uncover the truth about the supernatural -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass tops Merrimack 4-1 to cap off successful weekend series -

Monday, January 26, 2015

‘Broad City’s’ second season off to a wickedly funny start -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Students respond to Obama’s State of the Union address -

Monday, January 26, 2015

St. Bonaventure earns tight victory, VCU clinches 11th straight win in Atlantic 10 men’s basketball action -

Monday, January 26, 2015

An open letter to the people who were kind when I was struggling -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass club hockey salvages weekend with tie against NYU on Saturday -

Monday, January 26, 2015

2015 Winter TCA’s announce bevy of show returns and new releases -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Brilliant online film archives for cinema lovers -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass men’s and women’s track and field teams see mixed results in Joe Donahue Indoor Games -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Steve Mastalerz, defense delivers for UMass hockey -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass online graduate programs climb U.S. News & World Report rankings -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Front to Back: Week of Jan. 25, 2015 -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

BLOG: UMass football receives seven verbal commitments -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

UMass plans to fail again with Super Bowl guest policy -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Special teams play fuels late UMass rally, forces tie -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

BLOG: UMass hires Mark Michaels as special teams coordinator, outside linebackers coach -

Friday, January 23, 2015

Former Tibetan political prisoner overcomes odds in Tibet and the US -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

UMass basketball falls flat in loss to St. Joe’s -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

‘Selma’ resonates with the here and now -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

Minutemen take first series of the season

Just a few hours after losing to Richmond, the Massachusetts baseball team rebounded to win the deciding game of a three-game series, 6-3, on Sunday afternoon at Earl Lorden Field.

Jared Freni got the win for the Minutemen (4-18, 3-6 Atlantic 10), by pitching eight innings in which he struck out 13 Spiders’ hitters while allowing only three runs.

UMass coach Mike Stone called Freni’s outing an outstanding performance. “He just battled through a couple of tough innings and really went a long way,” Stone said. “He had some great short innings when he needed them to stay in the game.”

It was a major accomplishment for the senior and co-captain of the team, who had struggled in his first four starts, allowing a total of 25 runs in 21 innings. However, he was able to make adjustments in this game after laboring in his first three innings.

“[Freni] got in a good rhythm and was more fluid,” Stone said. “That makes a big difference as far as his command is concerned. It was good to see he made those adjustments.”

Glen Misho pitched a scoreless ninth inning to earn the save against Richmond (15-15, 3-6 A-10). It was the first save of the season for the Minutemen.

“[Freni] had thrown a lot of pitches and at a certain point you have to give it to your bullpen,” Stone said. “Fortunately, [Misho] came in did a nice job finishing up. He was throwing the ball hard.”

The offense collected six runs, all scored by different players. Eight of the nine starters had base hits, and no one had more than one run batted in. Despite a balanced effort, Stone thinks improvements still need to be made.

“We left a lot of people on base and in scoring position,” Stone said. “Sometimes, all you need to do is take a good short swing and drive the ball into the outfield and we just didn’t do that. We could’ve scored a lot more runs if we executed better in those situations.”

The series began on Saturday after Friday’s game was postponed. The first game of the doubleheader ended with the Minutemen walking off with the victory in 13 innings.

Senior Mike Donato was hit by a pitch to begin the bottom of the 13th inning. After a walk to Brian Baudinet, junior Peter Copa hit a deep fly ball to left center. The runners tagged up with Donato heading to third base. He was able to score the winning run after the Richmond shortstop mishandled the ball on the relay.

Sophomore Leif Sorenson pitched six effective innings of one-run ball in relief to get the win. His effort followed starting pitcher Nick Serino who went seven strong innings, striking out 10 batters.

“[Serino and Sorenson] pitched very well,” Stone said. “That was a good one to win, it made a difference for us. It was a battle all the way through and everyone was pulling for each other, so it was great.”

The middle game was played in the span of two days. Action was suspended on Saturday due to darkness, and completed in the early afternoon on Sunday. Despite losing the middle game of the series, the Minutemen earned their first series win of the season.

“To get on the right track, to take a series is really important,” Stone said. “It was great the way we responded as a team [after losing the middle game]. We were able to bounce back. I think we can play better. I really do.”

Stone hopes his team is able to carry this series victory into what he calls a tough week ahead.

“We played a good home series and came out at the top end of that,” Stone said. “That’s got to give you a lot of confidence going forward.”

Senior Bryan Leigh will start against Boston College on Tuesday. It will be his first start since March 17 against Oklahoma. UMass will then host Northeastern on Wednesday before traveling to Rhode Island for another three-game series.

Pete Vasquez can be reached at pvasquez@student.umass.edu.