Community talks education, immigrants’ rights, climate change with state senators -

Q&A: Khalif Nunnally-Rivera, an advocate for access and affordability for underrepresented students -

Plant-Based Nutrition club promotes healthier, sustainable diets on campus -

Rolling tobacco and high profits for iRollie -

UMass softball to kickoff conference schedule on Thursday at Boston University -

UMass baseball coach Mike Stone trying not to dwell on 2017 being his final season -

Fresh off NCAA Championship appearance, UMass diver Emma Roush looks ahead -

Notebook: UMass men’s soccer adds junior college transfer to roster for next season -

Newly appointed UMass defensive line coach Dave Wissman has taken interesting road to Amherst -

Student Union Craft Center serves as an open space of expression for students -

An ode to Amherst’s American Legion -

Letter: The Graduate Employee Organization wants to empower those who are marginalized -

To counter and balance: A place for conversation in the opinion pages -

Activism can change the world -

Active Minds strives to start conversation about mental health, end stigma -

Native American Student Association plans for powwow after travelling to Native Nations Rise March in Washington D.C. -

Black Student Union aims to be a strong voice for the African-American community on UMass’ campus -

UMass Students for Reproductive Justice continue fighting for student rights -

UMass notebook: Celtics assistant coach Micah Shrewsberry reportedly interviewed for a second time Monday for men’s basketball head coaching vacancy -

UMass softball anxiously awaits start of conference play with doubleheader against BU looming Thursday. -

Paper Jam to begin Southwest Week festivities

Kicking off 2010’s Southwest Week is Paper Jam, a six-act “battle-of-the-bands” concert event hosted by the Massachusetts Daily Collegian and Southwest Area Government. The event will take place at 6 p.m. tonight in the Hampden Courtyard.

Southwest Week is hosted annually by the Southwest Area Government. Posters and online event pages advertise the week as a “pseudo road trip.” Each day’s activities are themed as a different U.S. city.

Today is “Boston, Mass.” day. A run will be held around the Southwest Residential Area at 5 p.m., followed by the Paper Jam concert an hour later.

The concert features six bands of different music genres playing and competing, “battle-of-the-bands” style. The acts will be judged by hosts from WMUA’s radio show, “Sweet Baby Lou and the Reverends of Funk,” and emceed by local duo, Solo Sexx.

Leading off the event is Leisure Colony, a Northampton-based band formed last year.

They’ll be followed by Bubonic Souls, an Amherst funk/soul/rock band. 

Third up is Darlingside, a string-rock quintet based in Northampton.  

Fourth in the lineup is The Telephone Company, an acoustic rock band from Amherst.

On Trak and Malado, a rap/funk band from Springfield, Mass., perform next. The band won the University Programming Council’s ‘Battle of the Bands’ last year, receiving the opportunity to open for the annual spring concert.

The event will end with a performance by Bella’s Bartok from Amherst, a 13-member outfit who describe themselves as an “acoustic gypsy punk circus band,” according to their MySpace.com profile.

Tuesday is “New Orleans, La.” day and will begin at 5 p.m. with shirt tie-dying. A comedy night will take place at 7 p.m. in the Hampden Patio with comedian Moody McCarthy headlining. Berkshire Dining Commons will also host their annual spring barbecue.

Wednesday is “Carnival Day” and has an “Austin, Texas” theme. Southwest will have inflatables and activities such as eurobungy, bungee run, pedestal joust, a mechanical bull and a “mega obstacle course” presented by the Residential Leadership Association. A wing-eating contest will also take place with chicken from Berkshire.

Thursday, “Hollywood, Calif.,” will have a special showing of “The Hangover” on Southwest Beach starting at 8 p.m.

Friday, “Las Vegas, Nev.,” will feature a casino night at Berkshire with table games such as blackjack, roulette, craps and Texas Hold ’Em. There will also be two slot machines and an inflatable money machine. Local establishments have made donations, which will be used as prizes for the casino night.

– Collegian News Staff

2 Responses to “Paper Jam to begin Southwest Week festivities”
  1. Azzie Raasch says:

Good stuff it was a great read thanks for the insight !…

2. Polly Gorin says:

I enjoy you because of every one of your efforts on this blog. Ellie take interest in setting aside time for research and it is easy to understand why. Most of us learn all of the compelling tactic you deliver both useful and interesting guidelines on the web site and even foster response from people on this point and our favorite princess is certainly starting to learn a lot. Have fun with the remaining portion of the new year. You are conducting a good job.