Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Paper Jam to begin Southwest Week festivities

Kicking off 2010’s Southwest Week is Paper Jam, a six-act “battle-of-the-bands” concert event hosted by the Massachusetts Daily Collegian and Southwest Area Government. The event will take place at 6 p.m. tonight in the Hampden Courtyard.

Southwest Week is hosted annually by the Southwest Area Government. Posters and online event pages advertise the week as a “pseudo road trip.” Each day’s activities are themed as a different U.S. city.

Today is “Boston, Mass.” day. A run will be held around the Southwest Residential Area at 5 p.m., followed by the Paper Jam concert an hour later.

The concert features six bands of different music genres playing and competing, “battle-of-the-bands” style. The acts will be judged by hosts from WMUA’s radio show, “Sweet Baby Lou and the Reverends of Funk,” and emceed by local duo, Solo Sexx.

Leading off the event is Leisure Colony, a Northampton-based band formed last year.

They’ll be followed by Bubonic Souls, an Amherst funk/soul/rock band. 

Third up is Darlingside, a string-rock quintet based in Northampton.  

Fourth in the lineup is The Telephone Company, an acoustic rock band from Amherst.

On Trak and Malado, a rap/funk band from Springfield, Mass., perform next. The band won the University Programming Council’s ‘Battle of the Bands’ last year, receiving the opportunity to open for the annual spring concert.

The event will end with a performance by Bella’s Bartok from Amherst, a 13-member outfit who describe themselves as an “acoustic gypsy punk circus band,” according to their MySpace.com profile.

Tuesday is “New Orleans, La.” day and will begin at 5 p.m. with shirt tie-dying. A comedy night will take place at 7 p.m. in the Hampden Patio with comedian Moody McCarthy headlining. Berkshire Dining Commons will also host their annual spring barbecue.

Wednesday is “Carnival Day” and has an “Austin, Texas” theme. Southwest will have inflatables and activities such as eurobungy, bungee run, pedestal joust, a mechanical bull and a “mega obstacle course” presented by the Residential Leadership Association. A wing-eating contest will also take place with chicken from Berkshire.

Thursday, “Hollywood, Calif.,” will have a special showing of “The Hangover” on Southwest Beach starting at 8 p.m.

Friday, “Las Vegas, Nev.,” will feature a casino night at Berkshire with table games such as blackjack, roulette, craps and Texas Hold ’Em. There will also be two slot machines and an inflatable money machine. Local establishments have made donations, which will be used as prizes for the casino night.

- Collegian News Staff

2 Responses to “Paper Jam to begin Southwest Week festivities”
  1. Azzie Raasch says:

Good stuff it was a great read thanks for the insight !…

2. Polly Gorin says:

I enjoy you because of every one of your efforts on this blog. Ellie take interest in setting aside time for research and it is easy to understand why. Most of us learn all of the compelling tactic you deliver both useful and interesting guidelines on the web site and even foster response from people on this point and our favorite princess is certainly starting to learn a lot. Have fun with the remaining portion of the new year. You are conducting a good job.