Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

Paper Jam to begin Southwest Week festivities

Kicking off 2010’s Southwest Week is Paper Jam, a six-act “battle-of-the-bands” concert event hosted by the Massachusetts Daily Collegian and Southwest Area Government. The event will take place at 6 p.m. tonight in the Hampden Courtyard.

Southwest Week is hosted annually by the Southwest Area Government. Posters and online event pages advertise the week as a “pseudo road trip.” Each day’s activities are themed as a different U.S. city.

Today is “Boston, Mass.” day. A run will be held around the Southwest Residential Area at 5 p.m., followed by the Paper Jam concert an hour later.

The concert features six bands of different music genres playing and competing, “battle-of-the-bands” style. The acts will be judged by hosts from WMUA’s radio show, “Sweet Baby Lou and the Reverends of Funk,” and emceed by local duo, Solo Sexx.

Leading off the event is Leisure Colony, a Northampton-based band formed last year.

They’ll be followed by Bubonic Souls, an Amherst funk/soul/rock band. 

Third up is Darlingside, a string-rock quintet based in Northampton.  

Fourth in the lineup is The Telephone Company, an acoustic rock band from Amherst.

On Trak and Malado, a rap/funk band from Springfield, Mass., perform next. The band won the University Programming Council’s ‘Battle of the Bands’ last year, receiving the opportunity to open for the annual spring concert.

The event will end with a performance by Bella’s Bartok from Amherst, a 13-member outfit who describe themselves as an “acoustic gypsy punk circus band,” according to their MySpace.com profile.

Tuesday is “New Orleans, La.” day and will begin at 5 p.m. with shirt tie-dying. A comedy night will take place at 7 p.m. in the Hampden Patio with comedian Moody McCarthy headlining. Berkshire Dining Commons will also host their annual spring barbecue.

Wednesday is “Carnival Day” and has an “Austin, Texas” theme. Southwest will have inflatables and activities such as eurobungy, bungee run, pedestal joust, a mechanical bull and a “mega obstacle course” presented by the Residential Leadership Association. A wing-eating contest will also take place with chicken from Berkshire.

Thursday, “Hollywood, Calif.,” will have a special showing of “The Hangover” on Southwest Beach starting at 8 p.m.

Friday, “Las Vegas, Nev.,” will feature a casino night at Berkshire with table games such as blackjack, roulette, craps and Texas Hold ’Em. There will also be two slot machines and an inflatable money machine. Local establishments have made donations, which will be used as prizes for the casino night.

– Collegian News Staff

2 Responses to “Paper Jam to begin Southwest Week festivities”
  1. Azzie Raasch says:

Good stuff it was a great read thanks for the insight !…

2. Polly Gorin says:

I enjoy you because of every one of your efforts on this blog. Ellie take interest in setting aside time for research and it is easy to understand why. Most of us learn all of the compelling tactic you deliver both useful and interesting guidelines on the web site and even foster response from people on this point and our favorite princess is certainly starting to learn a lot. Have fun with the remaining portion of the new year. You are conducting a good job.