UMass students came together to Stand Against Racism -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass baseball gets swept in four-game road trip to Florida Gulf Coast -

Monday, April 27, 2015

of Montreal and Toro y Moi to co-headline Pearl Street this weekend -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass administrators exploit and disrespect graduate students -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Bike Racing Club brings energy and excitement to bike racing -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Sonic Youth’s ‘Bad Moon Rising’ still stands as crucial career turning point -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse cruises past GW on Senior Day -

Monday, April 27, 2015

How to stay sane during the long summer -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass softball drops pair of games against first-place Dayton -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Take Back the Night event raises awareness about sexual violence -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Demetrius Dyson to transfer from UMass basketball -

Saturday, April 25, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Delaware 10-9 in regular season finale -

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Brett Anton stands tall against UMass men’s lacrosse, Minutemen stumble into playoffs -

Friday, April 24, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse cruises toward regular season A-10 championship with win over Richmond -

Friday, April 24, 2015

UMass softball hits the road for big test at Dayton -

Friday, April 24, 2015

Long-time campus radio host banned from WMUA, status of station adviser unclear -

Friday, April 24, 2015

Celebrating 125 years of the Daily Collegian -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

SGA expresses support for Survivor’s Bill of Rights -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

UMass blanked by Boston College in Beanpot Championship -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Second annual yogathon stresses Earth Day ideals to individuals -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Paper Jam to begin Southwest Week festivities

Kicking off 2010’s Southwest Week is Paper Jam, a six-act “battle-of-the-bands” concert event hosted by the Massachusetts Daily Collegian and Southwest Area Government. The event will take place at 6 p.m. tonight in the Hampden Courtyard.

Southwest Week is hosted annually by the Southwest Area Government. Posters and online event pages advertise the week as a “pseudo road trip.” Each day’s activities are themed as a different U.S. city.

Today is “Boston, Mass.” day. A run will be held around the Southwest Residential Area at 5 p.m., followed by the Paper Jam concert an hour later.

The concert features six bands of different music genres playing and competing, “battle-of-the-bands” style. The acts will be judged by hosts from WMUA’s radio show, “Sweet Baby Lou and the Reverends of Funk,” and emceed by local duo, Solo Sexx.

Leading off the event is Leisure Colony, a Northampton-based band formed last year.

They’ll be followed by Bubonic Souls, an Amherst funk/soul/rock band. 

Third up is Darlingside, a string-rock quintet based in Northampton.  

Fourth in the lineup is The Telephone Company, an acoustic rock band from Amherst.

On Trak and Malado, a rap/funk band from Springfield, Mass., perform next. The band won the University Programming Council’s ‘Battle of the Bands’ last year, receiving the opportunity to open for the annual spring concert.

The event will end with a performance by Bella’s Bartok from Amherst, a 13-member outfit who describe themselves as an “acoustic gypsy punk circus band,” according to their MySpace.com profile.

Tuesday is “New Orleans, La.” day and will begin at 5 p.m. with shirt tie-dying. A comedy night will take place at 7 p.m. in the Hampden Patio with comedian Moody McCarthy headlining. Berkshire Dining Commons will also host their annual spring barbecue.

Wednesday is “Carnival Day” and has an “Austin, Texas” theme. Southwest will have inflatables and activities such as eurobungy, bungee run, pedestal joust, a mechanical bull and a “mega obstacle course” presented by the Residential Leadership Association. A wing-eating contest will also take place with chicken from Berkshire.

Thursday, “Hollywood, Calif.,” will have a special showing of “The Hangover” on Southwest Beach starting at 8 p.m.

Friday, “Las Vegas, Nev.,” will feature a casino night at Berkshire with table games such as blackjack, roulette, craps and Texas Hold ’Em. There will also be two slot machines and an inflatable money machine. Local establishments have made donations, which will be used as prizes for the casino night.

- Collegian News Staff

2 Responses to “Paper Jam to begin Southwest Week festivities”
  1. Azzie Raasch says:

Good stuff it was a great read thanks for the insight !…

2. Polly Gorin says:

I enjoy you because of every one of your efforts on this blog. Ellie take interest in setting aside time for research and it is easy to understand why. Most of us learn all of the compelling tactic you deliver both useful and interesting guidelines on the web site and even foster response from people on this point and our favorite princess is certainly starting to learn a lot. Have fun with the remaining portion of the new year. You are conducting a good job.