UM professor receives Fellow honor

In honor of his contributions to his scientific field, University of Massachusetts professor of polymer science and engineering Thomas Russell has been named a Fellow of the Materials Research Society (MRS).

Russell’s recognition as a MRS Fellow, which is a lifetime honor for the UMass professor, stems from his “seminal contributions in the processing of thin-block copolymer films to achieve well-organized nanostructures, and pioneering efforts to implement X-ray and neutron methods for polymer films and interfaces.”

In addition to his standing as a professor at the University, Russell is also the director of the Materials Research Science and Engineering Center on the UMass campus.

The Center, which features 40 University faculty members from seven different departments, has research collaborations and outreach programs with over a dozen institutions.

Additionally, the Center has received support over the past 29 years from the National Science Foundation for interdisciplinary research and education in polymer science and engineering in Amherst.

According to the Center’s website, an average of 15 percent of all Ph.D. degrees in the United States are awarded to those in field of polymer science.

Russell’s MRS honor was recently celebrated at the Society’s Spring Meeting in San Francisco over a three-day period last week, where Russell was named a guest at a special reception for the new Fellows.

Of the new Fellows, only 30 were named for 2010, with the total number from all years being less than 100.

According to the organization’s website, MRS Fellows may be invited to participate, on occasion, in special Fellows Receptions and in projects which may require their advisory input on important issues of concern for the organization.

In a letter announcing Russell’s achievement at being named an MRS Fellow, President David Ginley said, “the title of MRS Fellow honors those MRS members who are notable for their distinguished research accomplishments and their outstanding contributions to the advancement of materials research, worldwide.”

He added, “The maximum number of new Fellow appointments each year is limited to 0.2 percent of the current MRS membership. The distinction is thus highly selective.”

Jennifer Heshion can be reached at [email protected].