Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

Leigh looks for first win against Boston College

Bryan Leigh will get a chance to pitch under his own circumstances today against Boston College, vying for his first win as a pitcher for the Massachusetts baseball team in two years.

Leigh has been moved back and forth from the starting mound to the bullpen in his three seasons as a Minuteman. With observably more success coming as a starter, UMass coach Mike Stone has found tomorrow’s game as a perfect opportunity to play him where he feels most at ease.

“He’s had more success in the past as a starting pitcher,” Stone said. “We’ve been wanting to give him a start, but it has not worked out, as far as rest is concerned, so he has an opportunity to do that [today].”

In five appearances in 2010, Leigh (0-4) started one game and was charged with a loss in his last four appearances. The senior looks to regain a confidence that he played with during his sophomore year.

In 2008, Leigh was utilized as a starter, going 3-4 with a 4.93 earned run average. Since then, he has been primarily a relief man, starting just three games his junior year while garnering four saves in 16 bullpen appearances with a 4.07 ERA.

“He’s got command of four pitches, he’s got good velocity, throws a lot of strikes and he’s an experienced pitcher,” Stone said. “We’re hoping he’s going to give us a real good outing.”

Leigh’s last win came as a starter against St. Bonaventure when he threw a career-high nine innings and fanned seven batters in a complete game three-hit performance two years ago yesterday. Since then, Leigh has been unable to record a win.

Leigh comes into today’s contest with an 11.74 ERA in 15.1 innings pitched (8.1 out of the bullpen).

In his last three outings, he blew leads of five runs against William & Mary and three runs against Connecticut. In between those games, Leigh pitched 3.1 innings of relief, keeping Charlotte off the board in a tied game until his final frame when he allowed three runs.

He started his only game this season against Oklahoma, recording a career-best nine strikeouts in seven innings. Leigh led the Minutemen into the bottom-half of the seventh with a 4-2 lead, but could not hold on. After getting the leadoff hitter to fly-out, he put the next two men on with a walk and a hit-batter and then threw a wild-pitch to allow them to advance. A groundout by the next batter cut into the lead and a home-run followed that to put the Sooners up for good.

Despite picking up the loss, Stone was pleased with his pitcher’s effort and hopes that the added rest will help when the starter takes the mound for the 3 p.m. game at Chestnut Hill.

“He didn’t pitch over the weekend,” Stone said. “It works out perfectly because he had a tune up on Sunday and a day of rest before his start.”

Leigh faces the BC team that has talented hitters, but seems inconsistent in its run productivity. Six Eagles have hit .290 or better and their team average is .282, yet, they average just fewer than six runs per game and have been hot and cold at times.

BC has registered 11 runs in its last three games, winning two against Maryland. Prior to that, the Eagles knocked in 31 runs in three contests against Clemson and Bryant and managed just 18 runs in five games before that.

“We expect to see a good ball club tomorrow and a real test,” Stone said. “We’re going with the pitcher that we feel has got the best chance of winning right now.”

Dan Gigliotti can be reached at dgigliot@student.umass.edu.