Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Minutemen look to continue momentum against Eagles

The Massachusetts baseball team hopes it can further erase its poor start to the 2010 season.

After beginning the year 2-16, UMass (4-17, 3-6 Atlantic 10) won a crucial series, 2-1, against conference rival Richmond last weekend at Earl Lorden Field. It was a step in the right direction for the Minutemen, who are slated to play Boston College at 3 p.m. today in Chestnut Hill.

“It gives us a lot of confidence,” UMass coach Mike Stone said. “We won our first conference series and we played really well in our second game – it gives us a lot of confidence going forward.”

Even with loads of confidence, beating the Eagles (15-16, 6-9 Atlantic Coast Conference) should be no easy task. With wins in three of their previous four contests, the Eagles have newfound confidence of their own. Luckily for UMass, it will most likely not have to face BC pitcher Mike Dennhardt, who threw a complete game shutout against Maryland on Saturday. The performance earned him ACC Pitcher of the Week honors.

Starting for UMass will be senior right-hander Bryan Leigh. Leigh owns an 11.74 ERA and an 0-4 record to this point, but was very effective in his only start of the season when he threw seven innings, giving up five runs (three earned) while striking out nine.

“We expect that he’ll pitch well and give us some solid innings,” Stone said.

One player Leigh will have to watch out for is junior infielder Mickey Wiswall, whose .271 average is greatly overshadowed by his power numbers. Wiswall has started all 31 games for the Eagles this season and he leads the team in home runs with nine, and runs batted in with 35.

“Wiswall’s good,” Stone said. “[BC] is a good team playing in the ACC so they have to have good players. A lot of their players are friends with our players so it should be a good match-up.”

UMass will also have to watch out for senior outfielder Robbie Anston, who is widely recognized as one of the best lead-off hitters in the conference. Coming off a year where he set the BC single-season hits record with 85, Anston continues to perform both at the plate and on the base paths, where he displays invaluable speed. In 31 games, Anston leads the team in hits (41), runs (30), and stolen bases (9).

Although the game will undoubtedly be difficult, Stone likes what he sees from his team as of late.

“I think we’ve had a better, more positive attitude lately,” Stone said. “When you’re successful then you feel better about yourselves and then you get on a roll. It is [having] confidence, playing well, and being successful that makes all the difference in the world.”

Although it is not a conference game, UMass cannot afford to sit back. After another non-conference game against Northeastern tomorrow, UMass will travel to Rhode Island where it opens a three-game set against a strong Rams team on Friday.

Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu.