Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass heads to HC after impressive home meet

The quick turn-around from last weekend’s meet is an unusual one for UMass, which typically has about a week in between events, which will test the mental and physical toughness of its athletes. UMass women’s coach Julie LaFreniere said that she was pleased with the performance of her team members in the UMass Nine-Way meet, but that they are not used to outdoor conditions and need to tune-up.

“The kids are not fresh,” said LaFreniere. “We are pushing through all these meets, and there are places where we need to be tougher mentally and physically. We’re going to keep working hard through April and ease up a bit when we get ready for [the Atlantic 10 championship].”

The meet at HC gives UMass a chance to get used to outdoor competition one more time before heading into a bigger event on Friday in New Jersey, the Larry Ellis Invitational. Both teams will look to continue the momentum of their top finishes and qualify more members for the New England and A-10 championships.

“We have Princeton next weekend, and that’s a top end meet,” LaFreniere said. “We want to be ready for that, and in order to do that, we have to sharpen up.”

The Minutewomen certainly looked sharp this past weekend, combining to take first place in their home opener, the UMass Nine-Way meet.

Senior Lisa Wilson paced the Minutewomen, as she broke her own school record from 2009 in the shot-put, and taking first place in the hammer throw, as well as second place in the discus. Fellow upperclassman Stephanie Aguguo also recorded a first-place finish, winning the triple jump and qualifying for NECs in the process.

Like the Minutewomen, the men’s team recorded a satisfying finish in the meet, taking second place overall.

The Minutemen turned in a strong performance in several events, but none were as impressive as the 10,000-meter distance run. UMass recorded a one-two-three finish in the event, with each runner finishing within a minute of each other. The winner, Jonathan Pierce, was named Co-Atlantic 10 Performer of the Week for his performance, sharing the award with Darius Law of Charlotte.

Pierce won the 10,000-meter run when he crossed the finish line in 30 minutes, 43 seconds. His time was good enough to qualify him for both the NECs, as well as the IC4A Championships later in the season. This award is the second of the year for Pierce, who won Performer of the Week honors back in October during the cross country season.

Other top performers for the Minutemen included pole vaulter Sean Busch, who placed second in his signature event, as well as Sonny Gamble, who also took second in the steeple chase event.

Brian Miller and Zachary Koncki capped off the meet for UMass by winning the high jump and long jump events, respectively. Miller reached a height of 6-07.00 meters, and barely missed the school’s top-five record. Knocki leaped a distance of 22 feet, 11 inches, as he beat out the competition.

The Minutemen, like their female counterparts, are getting used to outdoor weather and conditions each week, and the men have shown steady improvement all season long. They look to contend this week before moving on to the A-10 championship in just two weeks.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “UMass heads to HC after impressive home meet”
  1. Mary B says:

Actually, no one from UMass is competing at this meet. Check out the first day results at Holy Cross’ athletic website.

Mens: http://www.goholycross.com/sports/m-track/stats/041410day1

Womens: http://www.goholycross.com/sports/w-track/stats/041410day1

2. Bill says:

Actually Mary, they were supposed to, and if you look at past articles on UMass Athletics.com, it is talked about. They probably just changed it last minute after this article was written