Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

UMass heads to HC after impressive home meet

The quick turn-around from last weekend’s meet is an unusual one for UMass, which typically has about a week in between events, which will test the mental and physical toughness of its athletes. UMass women’s coach Julie LaFreniere said that she was pleased with the performance of her team members in the UMass Nine-Way meet, but that they are not used to outdoor conditions and need to tune-up.

“The kids are not fresh,” said LaFreniere. “We are pushing through all these meets, and there are places where we need to be tougher mentally and physically. We’re going to keep working hard through April and ease up a bit when we get ready for [the Atlantic 10 championship].”

The meet at HC gives UMass a chance to get used to outdoor competition one more time before heading into a bigger event on Friday in New Jersey, the Larry Ellis Invitational. Both teams will look to continue the momentum of their top finishes and qualify more members for the New England and A-10 championships.

“We have Princeton next weekend, and that’s a top end meet,” LaFreniere said. “We want to be ready for that, and in order to do that, we have to sharpen up.”

The Minutewomen certainly looked sharp this past weekend, combining to take first place in their home opener, the UMass Nine-Way meet.

Senior Lisa Wilson paced the Minutewomen, as she broke her own school record from 2009 in the shot-put, and taking first place in the hammer throw, as well as second place in the discus. Fellow upperclassman Stephanie Aguguo also recorded a first-place finish, winning the triple jump and qualifying for NECs in the process.

Like the Minutewomen, the men’s team recorded a satisfying finish in the meet, taking second place overall.

The Minutemen turned in a strong performance in several events, but none were as impressive as the 10,000-meter distance run. UMass recorded a one-two-three finish in the event, with each runner finishing within a minute of each other. The winner, Jonathan Pierce, was named Co-Atlantic 10 Performer of the Week for his performance, sharing the award with Darius Law of Charlotte.

Pierce won the 10,000-meter run when he crossed the finish line in 30 minutes, 43 seconds. His time was good enough to qualify him for both the NECs, as well as the IC4A Championships later in the season. This award is the second of the year for Pierce, who won Performer of the Week honors back in October during the cross country season.

Other top performers for the Minutemen included pole vaulter Sean Busch, who placed second in his signature event, as well as Sonny Gamble, who also took second in the steeple chase event.

Brian Miller and Zachary Koncki capped off the meet for UMass by winning the high jump and long jump events, respectively. Miller reached a height of 6-07.00 meters, and barely missed the school’s top-five record. Knocki leaped a distance of 22 feet, 11 inches, as he beat out the competition.

The Minutemen, like their female counterparts, are getting used to outdoor weather and conditions each week, and the men have shown steady improvement all season long. They look to contend this week before moving on to the A-10 championship in just two weeks.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “UMass heads to HC after impressive home meet”
  1. Mary B says:

Actually, no one from UMass is competing at this meet. Check out the first day results at Holy Cross’ athletic website.

Mens: http://www.goholycross.com/sports/m-track/stats/041410day1

Womens: http://www.goholycross.com/sports/w-track/stats/041410day1

2. Bill says:

Actually Mary, they were supposed to, and if you look at past articles on UMass Athletics.com, it is talked about. They probably just changed it last minute after this article was written