Towson stonewalls UMass men’s lacrosse in CAA Championship; Minutemen season ends after 9-4 loss -

Zach Coleman to join former coach Derek Kellogg at LIU Brooklyn -

UMass men’s lacrosse advances to CAA finals courtesy of Dan Muller’s heroics -

On campus: The liberal assault on free speech -

Former UMass star Tony Gaffney signs with Celtics

Former Massachusetts men’s basketball player, Tony Gaffney has signed a contract with the Boston Celtics and could possibly suit up for the team’s game tonight in Chicago.

According to The Daily Hampshire Gazette, the signing also includes a non-guaranteed contract for next year.

After leaving UMass, Gaffney — a lifelong Celtics fan from Somerset MA. — signed a free agent contract with the Los Angeles Lakers.

With Los Angeles being the first team to offer Gaffney a contract, he said it was easy to switch his allegiances.

“I immediately went from a die-hard Celtics fan to a die-hard Lakers fan,” Gaffney said last August.

“That part was easy,” Gaffney later added. “They were the first team to give me the opportunity to play in the NBA, and it was easy falling in love with the Lakers organization.”

After playing for their summer league team, Gaffney was offered an invitation to the Lakers preseason camp, but was later cut. He then went to play overseas in Isreal before breaking his foot.

Now Gaffney will have to switch his allegiances back to where they all began, with the Celtics being the first NBA team to give him a shot to actually play in an NBA game. The Celtics have two games remaining on their regular season schedule before heading to the playoffs, where Gaffney is expected to join them.

As a senior for the UMass, Gaffney averaged a double-double with 11.5 points and 10.2 rebounds per game while also ranking third in the country with and 3.8 blocks per game.