UMass defense can’t stop late Toledo surge, Minutemen fall 42-35 -

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Defense paying off for Minutewomen

Behind the dominating pitching of Sara Plourde and power hitting from the offense, there has been one component of the Massachusetts softball team that has been overshadowed this season: The defense.

However, UMass’ defense stepped up recently in its 6-0 shutout of Quinnipiac. With three players boasting a fielding percentage of 1.000, the Minutewomen (28-7, 8-0 Atlantic 10) helped Plourde record her fifth no-hitter of the season.

“No-hitters are sensational in newspapers and get people to want to come and watch,” UMass coach Elaine Sortino said. “But, I can promise you that never once do we start a game and think, ‘Today we’re going to throw a no-hitter.”

To Sortino, no-hitters are something to which her team pays little attention.

Plourde, with 399 strikeouts for the season, relied on her defense in the no-hitter, as she tossed nine strikeouts in the game.

“We had a lot more defensive plays,” Plourde said. “[Quinnipiac] was a good hitting team, they just put the ball in play and our defense had a chance to make our plays. They did it, they put everything away.”

Michelle Libby helped out in the first inning, catching a fly ball to end the inning after Plourde struck out two batters. Carly Normandin got the second out in the second inning, along with catching a fly ball in the fifth, and Plourde fanning the final batter to end the second. Freshman Teea Rogers also helped out with an out at third base to finish up the third inning.

Sarah Reeves came through for UMass in the fourth, making two outs at first base after Plourde forced both batters to pop out. It was also Reeves who ended the game and ensured the shutout, making the final out on a foul ball in the seventh inning.

It was all defense in the sixth inning for the Maroon and White, with catcher Meghan Carta catching a foul ball. Rogers came through with her second key play of the day by stopping a line drive at third base, while Whitney Williams, playing shortstop, stopped another line drive to end the inning for the Minutewomen. 

Normandin, Katie Bettencourt and Reeves are the three starting players who have a 1.000 fielding percentage this season. Kyllie Magill, Libby and Carta also have high ranking fielding percentages, with .980, .943 and .998, respectively.    

In the A-10, Carta is second in putouts, with 431, while Reeves and Normandin are also tied for first place in the A-10 for their fielding percentages.      

Despite having numerous defensive threats at her disposal, Sortino does not have one player on defense who she feels stands out esepcially.

“I think all of them are doing a good job,” Sortino said. “I think we started out with errors early in the year, but that was also a byproduct of not being able to play on the field.”  

In the NCAA fielding percentage standings, UMass ranks fourth in the country with an overall percentage of .978. The Minutewomen also have the lowest amount of errors in the NCAA, with 17. The defense stands strong in putouts and assists, with 668 and 94, respectively.

Now that the Minutewomen can play outside at the UMass softball complex, 10 of their next 13 regular season games will be played at home, and Sortino thinks her defense will only continue to improve. Despite having a consistent pitcher and strong batters on offense, Sortino is confident that “defense wins championships.”

Geena Lombardi can be reached at glombard@student.umass.edu.