Halloween Special Issue -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UM alumni hopeful for their up-and-coming snowboard company -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hockey looks to end road trip on a high note with weekend series against Maine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

#WrongDoor: Why I am not surprised? -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

B-horror films: hits and misses of the nightmare genre -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Appreciating campus workers -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hosts Ebola panel to address concerns of the public -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Democrats hope to get more students connected -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The broke college student horror comic buyers guide -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Republican Club: Not just for Republicans -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

To live and die and live again -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Five reasons why Halloween is the best holiday -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The anatomy of a horror game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Berger has first shot at securing starting role with UMass basketball -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Robert Johnson’s deal with the devil -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Humans vs. Zombies: UMass’ most dangerous game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Group Halloween costumes inspired by the roles of Hollywood icons -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

A haunting at UMass -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

At the end of your rope? Write about it. -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass men’s soccer heads down to Carolina for a weekend pair of games -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass closes season at UNH

The Massachusetts track and field teams are set for the final regular season meet this weekend in Durham, N.H. for the New Hampshire Pre-Conference Meet. The event will be held at UNH, as many UMass athletes look to qualify for the New England Championships before the next weekend’s Atlantic 10 Conference Championships.

The Minutemen are coming off a meet where they qualified several athletes for the postseason. After competing with some of the nation’s best teams, UMass men’s coach Ken O’Brien believes that his team is in the right mindset.

“We have had a consistent year of training and an enthusiastic group of kids, looking to succeed,” O’Brien said.

One of the keys to the success of both squads is their well-balanced distribution of talent. Another key to the success of UMass is its leadership. A talented group of seniors leads the way for the Minutemen. In the 3,000 meter steeplechase event, both Sonny Gamble and Sean Duncan shared success, as both have qualified for New England Championships.

Chris Vercollone leads the way for the men’s throwing squad in the javelin with a top-five mark in UMass school history as well as Lisa Wilson who is the dominant force of the women’s throwing unit.

The distance team features Jonathan Pierce, Jason Ayr, Nicolai Naranjo and Andrew McCann.

“I would say that the seniors carry more than 50 percent of the weight of the team, but the more important thing is their great ability to motivate the underclassmen and push them to do their best,” O’Brien said.

Freshman thrower Nalis Mbianda for the women looks to be Wilson’s apprentice. Mbianda currently holds the third best mark in the shot-put in UMass school history. Wilson holds the best mark in school history, with a mark of 45-05.75. For the men, freshmen Joe Doyle and Nick Otis had solid indoor seasons and are expected to be a factor in the outdoor season as well.

Some of the team’s top athletes have been sidelined due to injuries. Tyler Cotto, who was the leading hurdler in indoor, suffered a hamstring pull, but is expected to compete and is looking to qualify for New England Championships. Mid-distance competitor Ryan DiOrio and long jumper Dan Woo will look to qualify as well as throwers Kevin Spieler and Dave McKenna.

The action begins in Durham on Saturday at 11:30 a.m. The Minutemen will return to compete in the Atlantic 10 Championships the following weekend at the UMass track and field complex.

Michael Counos can be reached at mcounos@student.umass.edu.