UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass Football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass closes season at UNH

The Massachusetts track and field teams are set for the final regular season meet this weekend in Durham, N.H. for the New Hampshire Pre-Conference Meet. The event will be held at UNH, as many UMass athletes look to qualify for the New England Championships before the next weekend’s Atlantic 10 Conference Championships.

The Minutemen are coming off a meet where they qualified several athletes for the postseason. After competing with some of the nation’s best teams, UMass men’s coach Ken O’Brien believes that his team is in the right mindset.

“We have had a consistent year of training and an enthusiastic group of kids, looking to succeed,” O’Brien said.

One of the keys to the success of both squads is their well-balanced distribution of talent. Another key to the success of UMass is its leadership. A talented group of seniors leads the way for the Minutemen. In the 3,000 meter steeplechase event, both Sonny Gamble and Sean Duncan shared success, as both have qualified for New England Championships.

Chris Vercollone leads the way for the men’s throwing squad in the javelin with a top-five mark in UMass school history as well as Lisa Wilson who is the dominant force of the women’s throwing unit.

The distance team features Jonathan Pierce, Jason Ayr, Nicolai Naranjo and Andrew McCann.

“I would say that the seniors carry more than 50 percent of the weight of the team, but the more important thing is their great ability to motivate the underclassmen and push them to do their best,” O’Brien said.

Freshman thrower Nalis Mbianda for the women looks to be Wilson’s apprentice. Mbianda currently holds the third best mark in the shot-put in UMass school history. Wilson holds the best mark in school history, with a mark of 45-05.75. For the men, freshmen Joe Doyle and Nick Otis had solid indoor seasons and are expected to be a factor in the outdoor season as well.

Some of the team’s top athletes have been sidelined due to injuries. Tyler Cotto, who was the leading hurdler in indoor, suffered a hamstring pull, but is expected to compete and is looking to qualify for New England Championships. Mid-distance competitor Ryan DiOrio and long jumper Dan Woo will look to qualify as well as throwers Kevin Spieler and Dave McKenna.

The action begins in Durham on Saturday at 11:30 a.m. The Minutemen will return to compete in the Atlantic 10 Championships the following weekend at the UMass track and field complex.

Michael Counos can be reached at mcounos@student.umass.edu.