Fordham sweeps Temple

After coming off three solid wins, the Fordham softball team swept Temple and improved its Atlantic 10 record to 12-2.  Ever since losing to Massachusetts, the Rams are on a 13-game winning streak.

The last game for Fordham was against the Owls (14-25, 5-7 Atlantic 10), which started off with a home run by outfielder Joceyln Dearborn. The hits kept on coming, when catcher Megan Shager hit a single to left and brought home one more run.

The Ram’s stifled the Owls in more ways than one, as the team contributed on both offense and defense. Starting for Fordham was pitcher Jen Mineau struck out the top three batters for the Owls through the first five innings.

Minaeu (26-5) had 11 strikeouts and had three hits in the game. The Ram’s defense maintained Temple, as the offense struck hard with heavy hitting.

Hawks looking for groove

Saint Josephs has had difficulties in conference play after being swept by Charlotte. Recently, the Hawks (2-14, 4-5 A-10) rebounded with wins over Lafayette and George Washington. 

Last Saturday, catcher Brooke Darreff hit a solo home run in the fourth inning to end the game, defeating the Colonials (5-12, 2-12 A-10), 1-0. The game started off with Erin Gallagher allowing two hits, which gave GW the opportunity to score. After the solo home run, Gallagher gave up one hit in the last four innings to give the Hawks the win.

SJU (21-14, 5-5 A-10) sits in sixth place in the A-10 with a match against Temple in its near future.

Crunch time for 49ers

After coming off a loss at Elon, Charlotte rebounded with a pair of wins over La Salle this past weekend. The Explorers fell short to the 49ers, 3-2.

Catcher Tenaya Tucker hit a double that brought in two runs, but it wasn’t enough to take down the Explorers.  The game went into overtime, and concluded with freshman Briana Gwaltney scoring the game-winning run.

Pitcher Gina Allen allowed two hits in the first three innings, and held off Charlotte’s offense in Game 2. After junior Katy Hacket relieved Allen, she allowed the same amount of hits while striking out six batters in four innings.  

Daniel Giardina can be reached at [email protected]