Professor Neil Forbes receives $1.56 million grant to develop cancer-killing Salmonella. -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

UMass, Trey Davis ready for Richmond and Kendall Anthony -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Milan Fashion Week mixes the old with the new -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Smartphone surge following historic net neutrality decision shows relationship between technology and consumers -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Tournament time: UMass women’s basketball faces St. Bonaventure in A-10 opener -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Bread & Butter brings local produce to Amherst’s breakfast scene -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

‘Blarney’ guest policy is too harsh and was announced too late -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Esho and Lalanne ready for one final show at Mullins Center -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: March 3, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Meet the 2015 SGA spring election candidates -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Years of dedication lead to breakout senior campaign for Zack LaRue -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Five simple steps to get your college diet on track -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Students head to State House, push for more public higher education funding -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Gabriel Schmitt hopes to improve UMass health services as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Barrett/Barbosa ‘ready on day one’ -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

An outsider to the SGA, student trustee candidate Nicholas Vigneau says he brings a fresh perspective to the position -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kristi Sefanoni pleased with UMass softball’s start to season -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Outsider candidates Rocco Giordano and Dhananjay (Danny) Mirlay Srinivas intent on shoring up student-administration relationship, getting more voices heard -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass tennis wins its first conference match in weekend split -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Minutewomen excel despite injuries, Minutemen gain experience -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UM gains experience in exhibition meet

UMass Media Relations

Record-setting performances propelled the Massachusetts track and field teams in the New Hampshire pre-conference meet over the weekend.

In total, six athletes broke or tied school records in their respective events as UMass prepared for the upcoming Atlantic 10 Championship in an exhibition setting.

The events weren’t scored; however, the meet provided a chance for athletes to qualify for the postseason. UMass benefited from this format as it set school records and qualified additional members for championships in their given events.

Lisa Wilson, Gina Perno and Nicole Pompei all set school marks for the Minutewomen. Wilson beat her previous UMass record while taking first place in both the shot put (48.75 meters) and the hammer throw (176 feet) for the third straight week.

Pompei won the pole vault by reaching a height of 11.75 meters. The mark set her as fourth all-time at UMass for the event.

Perno, a junior distance runner, also left her mark in the record books, as she now sits third all-time in school history in the 800-meter run. She crossed the finish line in two minutes, 12.15 seconds, and placed second in the event.

Brian Miller, Sean Busch and Tyler Cotto led the Minutemen and each broke records in their respective events. Miller, a senior jumper, owns the best mark in school history in the high jump (6.25 meters).

Busch (15 meters) took second place in the pole vault event.

Cotto (14.51 seconds) qualified for the New England and IC4A Championships and set the fourth-best time in school history with a first place finish.

In addition to the record-setting performances, four Minutewomen qualified for the NECs while 10 Minutemen qualified for the NECs and IC4As.

Hurdlers Jason Dwyer and Nick Otis placed fourth and fifth, respectively, in the 400-meter hurdles. Each of them qualified for NECs in the event. With a 22-foot leap, Daniel Wu and Zach Koncki tied for second place in the long jump.

Holly Heinricher (25.36 seconds) qualified for NECs in the 200-meter run. Emma Riedel and Michelle Jenssen each placed third in their events, qualifying in the 100-meter and 400-meter runs, respectively. Alex Haller (one minute, 20 seconds) also qualified in the 400-meter run by finishing fourth.

The teams return to Amherst in the upcoming weekend for the A-10 Championship meet. The event is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “UM gains experience in exhibition meet”
  1. Ebony Hnat says:

To jump higher you need to do pull-ups as well to increase your bpdy strength. Pull-ups grant you to lift yourself up into the air quicker.

2. Mary B says:

Hey, check your height distance units. You’re confusing “meters” with “feet”. All of the distances should be in “feet”.