UMass men’s basketball drops first game of season to Creighton in MGM Grand Main Event finals -

UMass football prepares for final regular season game against Buffalo Friday -

UMass men’s basketball continues hot shooting in rout of Clemson Monday night -

SGA votes down letter opposing Baker’s statements on refugees -

IPO reaches out to local families to host international students for Thanksgiving -

Amherst Police Log: Nov. 20-22 -

Local Pioneer Valley food banks aim to fight hunger -

UMass club sports present petition alleging lack of resources, communication from athletic department -

UMass women’s basketball looks to get back on track in Omni Hotels Classic -

An inside look at the UMass club baseball team -

UMass men’s swimming proves victorious in Terrier Invitational, Minutewomen finish fourth -

The benefits of meditation -

In wake of Paris attacks, US should not ditch compassion -

Letter to the editor: Students for Justice in Palestine respond to a previous op-ed -

Student makes UMass history as first to perform mainstage production in wheelchair -

Graduate Employee Organization and UMass administrators meet to talk about late pay issues -

UMass Dining encourages different programs to prevent hunger in Amherst -

FBI agents explain cyber security at UMass talk -

Students present demands and tap administrators for answers, additional information at ‘answering session’ -

UMass Dining works to reduce amount of food waste created with weight measurement -

UM gains experience in exhibition meet

UMass Media Relations

Record-setting performances propelled the Massachusetts track and field teams in the New Hampshire pre-conference meet over the weekend.

In total, six athletes broke or tied school records in their respective events as UMass prepared for the upcoming Atlantic 10 Championship in an exhibition setting.

The events weren’t scored; however, the meet provided a chance for athletes to qualify for the postseason. UMass benefited from this format as it set school records and qualified additional members for championships in their given events.

Lisa Wilson, Gina Perno and Nicole Pompei all set school marks for the Minutewomen. Wilson beat her previous UMass record while taking first place in both the shot put (48.75 meters) and the hammer throw (176 feet) for the third straight week.

Pompei won the pole vault by reaching a height of 11.75 meters. The mark set her as fourth all-time at UMass for the event.

Perno, a junior distance runner, also left her mark in the record books, as she now sits third all-time in school history in the 800-meter run. She crossed the finish line in two minutes, 12.15 seconds, and placed second in the event.

Brian Miller, Sean Busch and Tyler Cotto led the Minutemen and each broke records in their respective events. Miller, a senior jumper, owns the best mark in school history in the high jump (6.25 meters).

Busch (15 meters) took second place in the pole vault event.

Cotto (14.51 seconds) qualified for the New England and IC4A Championships and set the fourth-best time in school history with a first place finish.

In addition to the record-setting performances, four Minutewomen qualified for the NECs while 10 Minutemen qualified for the NECs and IC4As.

Hurdlers Jason Dwyer and Nick Otis placed fourth and fifth, respectively, in the 400-meter hurdles. Each of them qualified for NECs in the event. With a 22-foot leap, Daniel Wu and Zach Koncki tied for second place in the long jump.

Holly Heinricher (25.36 seconds) qualified for NECs in the 200-meter run. Emma Riedel and Michelle Jenssen each placed third in their events, qualifying in the 100-meter and 400-meter runs, respectively. Alex Haller (one minute, 20 seconds) also qualified in the 400-meter run by finishing fourth.

The teams return to Amherst in the upcoming weekend for the A-10 Championship meet. The event is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

Michael Wood can be reached at

2 Responses to “UM gains experience in exhibition meet”
  1. Ebony Hnat says:

To jump higher you need to do pull-ups as well to increase your bpdy strength. Pull-ups grant you to lift yourself up into the air quicker.

2. Mary B says:

Hey, check your height distance units. You’re confusing “meters” with “feet”. All of the distances should be in “feet”.