UMass women’s soccer earns double overtime draw against Central Connecticut -

Friday, September 4, 2015

Offensive struggles continue for UMass men’s soccer team in loss to Columbia -

Friday, September 4, 2015

UMass field hockey pulls off thrilling overtime victory against Northeastern -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Kicking competition between Blake Lucas, Mike Caggiano nearing decision -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UM gains experience in exhibition meet

UMass Media Relations

Record-setting performances propelled the Massachusetts track and field teams in the New Hampshire pre-conference meet over the weekend.

In total, six athletes broke or tied school records in their respective events as UMass prepared for the upcoming Atlantic 10 Championship in an exhibition setting.

The events weren’t scored; however, the meet provided a chance for athletes to qualify for the postseason. UMass benefited from this format as it set school records and qualified additional members for championships in their given events.

Lisa Wilson, Gina Perno and Nicole Pompei all set school marks for the Minutewomen. Wilson beat her previous UMass record while taking first place in both the shot put (48.75 meters) and the hammer throw (176 feet) for the third straight week.

Pompei won the pole vault by reaching a height of 11.75 meters. The mark set her as fourth all-time at UMass for the event.

Perno, a junior distance runner, also left her mark in the record books, as she now sits third all-time in school history in the 800-meter run. She crossed the finish line in two minutes, 12.15 seconds, and placed second in the event.

Brian Miller, Sean Busch and Tyler Cotto led the Minutemen and each broke records in their respective events. Miller, a senior jumper, owns the best mark in school history in the high jump (6.25 meters).

Busch (15 meters) took second place in the pole vault event.

Cotto (14.51 seconds) qualified for the New England and IC4A Championships and set the fourth-best time in school history with a first place finish.

In addition to the record-setting performances, four Minutewomen qualified for the NECs while 10 Minutemen qualified for the NECs and IC4As.

Hurdlers Jason Dwyer and Nick Otis placed fourth and fifth, respectively, in the 400-meter hurdles. Each of them qualified for NECs in the event. With a 22-foot leap, Daniel Wu and Zach Koncki tied for second place in the long jump.

Holly Heinricher (25.36 seconds) qualified for NECs in the 200-meter run. Emma Riedel and Michelle Jenssen each placed third in their events, qualifying in the 100-meter and 400-meter runs, respectively. Alex Haller (one minute, 20 seconds) also qualified in the 400-meter run by finishing fourth.

The teams return to Amherst in the upcoming weekend for the A-10 Championship meet. The event is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “UM gains experience in exhibition meet”
  1. Ebony Hnat says:

To jump higher you need to do pull-ups as well to increase your bpdy strength. Pull-ups grant you to lift yourself up into the air quicker.

2. Mary B says:

Hey, check your height distance units. You’re confusing “meters” with “feet”. All of the distances should be in “feet”.