SGA outlines plan to involve students in proposed IT fee process -

Thursday, May 28, 2015

UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UM gains experience in exhibition meet

UMass Media Relations

Record-setting performances propelled the Massachusetts track and field teams in the New Hampshire pre-conference meet over the weekend.

In total, six athletes broke or tied school records in their respective events as UMass prepared for the upcoming Atlantic 10 Championship in an exhibition setting.

The events weren’t scored; however, the meet provided a chance for athletes to qualify for the postseason. UMass benefited from this format as it set school records and qualified additional members for championships in their given events.

Lisa Wilson, Gina Perno and Nicole Pompei all set school marks for the Minutewomen. Wilson beat her previous UMass record while taking first place in both the shot put (48.75 meters) and the hammer throw (176 feet) for the third straight week.

Pompei won the pole vault by reaching a height of 11.75 meters. The mark set her as fourth all-time at UMass for the event.

Perno, a junior distance runner, also left her mark in the record books, as she now sits third all-time in school history in the 800-meter run. She crossed the finish line in two minutes, 12.15 seconds, and placed second in the event.

Brian Miller, Sean Busch and Tyler Cotto led the Minutemen and each broke records in their respective events. Miller, a senior jumper, owns the best mark in school history in the high jump (6.25 meters).

Busch (15 meters) took second place in the pole vault event.

Cotto (14.51 seconds) qualified for the New England and IC4A Championships and set the fourth-best time in school history with a first place finish.

In addition to the record-setting performances, four Minutewomen qualified for the NECs while 10 Minutemen qualified for the NECs and IC4As.

Hurdlers Jason Dwyer and Nick Otis placed fourth and fifth, respectively, in the 400-meter hurdles. Each of them qualified for NECs in the event. With a 22-foot leap, Daniel Wu and Zach Koncki tied for second place in the long jump.

Holly Heinricher (25.36 seconds) qualified for NECs in the 200-meter run. Emma Riedel and Michelle Jenssen each placed third in their events, qualifying in the 100-meter and 400-meter runs, respectively. Alex Haller (one minute, 20 seconds) also qualified in the 400-meter run by finishing fourth.

The teams return to Amherst in the upcoming weekend for the A-10 Championship meet. The event is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “UM gains experience in exhibition meet”
  1. Ebony Hnat says:

To jump higher you need to do pull-ups as well to increase your bpdy strength. Pull-ups grant you to lift yourself up into the air quicker.

2. Mary B says:

Hey, check your height distance units. You’re confusing “meters” with “feet”. All of the distances should be in “feet”.

You must be logged in to post a comment.