UMass men’s lacrosse’s win streak snapped in battle with No. 18 Towson -

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Closing arguments presented, jury deliberations begin Friday in first of four 2012 gang rape trials -

Friday, March 27, 2015

UMass library opens groundbreaking 3D printing lab -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Defendant in 2012 gang rape case says accuser consented to sex -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

For the love of the craft: UMass Juggling Club -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass lacrosse looks for fourth straight victory versus Towson -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

The dark, twisty special on Robert Durst proves that, yet again, humanity’s biggest “Jinx” is hubris -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Law and order, UMass style -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Hillel fails to represent all Jewish students -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse aims another perfect conference record against Duquesne -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass heads home to take on Albany -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Coming off weekend victory, UMass softball prepares for series against St. Josephs -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

‘The Last Man on Earth?’ more like, ‘The Worst Show on Earth’ -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

A new face for money -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass hopes to carry momentum into weekend series against VCU -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass Theatre Guild to present “Seussical” this weekend -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

UMass eyes the future of its athletics with the hiring of Athletic Director Ryan Bamford -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Derrick Gordon to transfer from UMass in search of more prominent role -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Local author and activist Don Ogden writes to make environmental change -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Chiarelli: Football the center of attention Tuesday at Bamford’s hiring -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

UM gains experience in exhibition meet

UMass Media Relations

Record-setting performances propelled the Massachusetts track and field teams in the New Hampshire pre-conference meet over the weekend.

In total, six athletes broke or tied school records in their respective events as UMass prepared for the upcoming Atlantic 10 Championship in an exhibition setting.

The events weren’t scored; however, the meet provided a chance for athletes to qualify for the postseason. UMass benefited from this format as it set school records and qualified additional members for championships in their given events.

Lisa Wilson, Gina Perno and Nicole Pompei all set school marks for the Minutewomen. Wilson beat her previous UMass record while taking first place in both the shot put (48.75 meters) and the hammer throw (176 feet) for the third straight week.

Pompei won the pole vault by reaching a height of 11.75 meters. The mark set her as fourth all-time at UMass for the event.

Perno, a junior distance runner, also left her mark in the record books, as she now sits third all-time in school history in the 800-meter run. She crossed the finish line in two minutes, 12.15 seconds, and placed second in the event.

Brian Miller, Sean Busch and Tyler Cotto led the Minutemen and each broke records in their respective events. Miller, a senior jumper, owns the best mark in school history in the high jump (6.25 meters).

Busch (15 meters) took second place in the pole vault event.

Cotto (14.51 seconds) qualified for the New England and IC4A Championships and set the fourth-best time in school history with a first place finish.

In addition to the record-setting performances, four Minutewomen qualified for the NECs while 10 Minutemen qualified for the NECs and IC4As.

Hurdlers Jason Dwyer and Nick Otis placed fourth and fifth, respectively, in the 400-meter hurdles. Each of them qualified for NECs in the event. With a 22-foot leap, Daniel Wu and Zach Koncki tied for second place in the long jump.

Holly Heinricher (25.36 seconds) qualified for NECs in the 200-meter run. Emma Riedel and Michelle Jenssen each placed third in their events, qualifying in the 100-meter and 400-meter runs, respectively. Alex Haller (one minute, 20 seconds) also qualified in the 400-meter run by finishing fourth.

The teams return to Amherst in the upcoming weekend for the A-10 Championship meet. The event is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “UM gains experience in exhibition meet”
  1. Ebony Hnat says:

To jump higher you need to do pull-ups as well to increase your bpdy strength. Pull-ups grant you to lift yourself up into the air quicker.

2. Mary B says:

Hey, check your height distance units. You’re confusing “meters” with “feet”. All of the distances should be in “feet”.