Recovery fund established for former UMass student Chloe Rombach -

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Minutemen search for answers following blowout loss to Providence -

Saturday, December 20, 2014

UMass dominated in 85-65 loss to Providence -

Saturday, December 20, 2014

BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

UMass finishes A-10 tournament play

Amanda Joinson/Collegian

The Massachusetts tennis team finished tied for fifth overall in the 2010 Atlantic 10 tournament on Saturday afternoon in St. Louis, Missouri The Minutewomen improved their performance from last year finishing one place higher.

The A-10 tournament for UMass began with a 4-1 victory over Saint Joseph’s on Friday afternoon. Candynce Boney and Maude Lecluyse helped the Minutewomen with an 8-6 victory over Jhennifer Kedzierski and Laura Matz.

After falling in No. 2 doubles, the team of Jocelyn Providence and Kaitlyn Carpenter clinched the doubles point for UMass with a 8-3 win over Tara Walsh and Kate Dowd.

The Minutewomen clinched the victory by taking three of the four singles matches. Freshman Julia Comas raised her record to 6-2 at No. 1 singles winning, 6-1, 6-1, over Kedzierski. Both Tanisha Hodgson and Jocelyn Providence lost one game apiece in singles victories at No. 3 and No. 6 singles respectively to clinch the victory for UMass.
          The Minutewomen fell 4-1 in the second round of the tournament to Temple, sending them into the consolation bracket.

Temple took the doubles point to begin the match, as Boney and Lecluyse fell 8-3 to Josephine Bergman and Katharina Mittag. Comas continued to be successful for UMass, as she continued her strong play with 6-2, 6-2 victories over Bergman.

Temple quickly regained control as it swept the No. 4, 5 and 6 singles contests to take the match. The Hawks moved on to face second-seeded Richmond in the semifinals, while UMass moved on to face Saint Louis for fifth-place overall.

UMass defeated SLU, 4-1, to earn a tie for the fifth-place spot. Top-seeded Xavier also finished fifth after beating Duquesne in its consolation match. Boney and Lecluyse seized the early momentum by defeating Casey Miller and Jenny Nalepa, 9-7. Jocelyn Providence and Kaitlyn Carpenter earned the doubles point with a 8-3 win over Mia Elmore and Sarah Septien.

While Comas fell 6-2, 6-4 to Hailee Elmore, Boney, Carpenter and Lecluyse picked up the slack with victories at No. 2, No. 5 and No. 6 singles respectively.   

Nine of the team’s 11 players will return next year, with Lecluyse being the lone graduating senior while sophomore Magdalena Ploch has been off the team since mid-March.

In the larger A-10 tournament, Richmond repeated as champions by defeating George Washington, 4-0. The fifth-seeded Colonials had made a strong run through the tournament, defeating St. Bonaventure, Duquesne and Charlotte. The Spiders entered the championship game after defeating Dayton, St. Louis and Temple.

The title was the seventh in school history for the Spiders. The victory also clinched a spot in next month’s NCAA tournament. Last year, Duke swept Richmond, 4-0, in the first round.

Ben Lambert can be reached at wlambert@student.umass.edu.