Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Darrice Griffin named UMass’ senior associate athletic director for internal operations/senior woman administrator -

Report: UMass football will host Mississippi State in 2016 -

Monday, June 8, 2015

UMass finishes A-10 tournament play

Amanda Joinson/Collegian

The Massachusetts tennis team finished tied for fifth overall in the 2010 Atlantic 10 tournament on Saturday afternoon in St. Louis, Missouri The Minutewomen improved their performance from last year finishing one place higher.

The A-10 tournament for UMass began with a 4-1 victory over Saint Joseph’s on Friday afternoon. Candynce Boney and Maude Lecluyse helped the Minutewomen with an 8-6 victory over Jhennifer Kedzierski and Laura Matz.

After falling in No. 2 doubles, the team of Jocelyn Providence and Kaitlyn Carpenter clinched the doubles point for UMass with a 8-3 win over Tara Walsh and Kate Dowd.

The Minutewomen clinched the victory by taking three of the four singles matches. Freshman Julia Comas raised her record to 6-2 at No. 1 singles winning, 6-1, 6-1, over Kedzierski. Both Tanisha Hodgson and Jocelyn Providence lost one game apiece in singles victories at No. 3 and No. 6 singles respectively to clinch the victory for UMass.
          The Minutewomen fell 4-1 in the second round of the tournament to Temple, sending them into the consolation bracket.

Temple took the doubles point to begin the match, as Boney and Lecluyse fell 8-3 to Josephine Bergman and Katharina Mittag. Comas continued to be successful for UMass, as she continued her strong play with 6-2, 6-2 victories over Bergman.

Temple quickly regained control as it swept the No. 4, 5 and 6 singles contests to take the match. The Hawks moved on to face second-seeded Richmond in the semifinals, while UMass moved on to face Saint Louis for fifth-place overall.

UMass defeated SLU, 4-1, to earn a tie for the fifth-place spot. Top-seeded Xavier also finished fifth after beating Duquesne in its consolation match. Boney and Lecluyse seized the early momentum by defeating Casey Miller and Jenny Nalepa, 9-7. Jocelyn Providence and Kaitlyn Carpenter earned the doubles point with a 8-3 win over Mia Elmore and Sarah Septien.

While Comas fell 6-2, 6-4 to Hailee Elmore, Boney, Carpenter and Lecluyse picked up the slack with victories at No. 2, No. 5 and No. 6 singles respectively.   

Nine of the team’s 11 players will return next year, with Lecluyse being the lone graduating senior while sophomore Magdalena Ploch has been off the team since mid-March.

In the larger A-10 tournament, Richmond repeated as champions by defeating George Washington, 4-0. The fifth-seeded Colonials had made a strong run through the tournament, defeating St. Bonaventure, Duquesne and Charlotte. The Spiders entered the championship game after defeating Dayton, St. Louis and Temple.

The title was the seventh in school history for the Spiders. The victory also clinched a spot in next month’s NCAA tournament. Last year, Duke swept Richmond, 4-0, in the first round.

Ben Lambert can be reached at wlambert@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.