SGA outlines plan to involve students in proposed IT fee process -

Thursday, May 28, 2015

UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass finishes A-10 tournament play

Amanda Joinson/Collegian

The Massachusetts tennis team finished tied for fifth overall in the 2010 Atlantic 10 tournament on Saturday afternoon in St. Louis, Missouri The Minutewomen improved their performance from last year finishing one place higher.

The A-10 tournament for UMass began with a 4-1 victory over Saint Joseph’s on Friday afternoon. Candynce Boney and Maude Lecluyse helped the Minutewomen with an 8-6 victory over Jhennifer Kedzierski and Laura Matz.

After falling in No. 2 doubles, the team of Jocelyn Providence and Kaitlyn Carpenter clinched the doubles point for UMass with a 8-3 win over Tara Walsh and Kate Dowd.

The Minutewomen clinched the victory by taking three of the four singles matches. Freshman Julia Comas raised her record to 6-2 at No. 1 singles winning, 6-1, 6-1, over Kedzierski. Both Tanisha Hodgson and Jocelyn Providence lost one game apiece in singles victories at No. 3 and No. 6 singles respectively to clinch the victory for UMass.
          The Minutewomen fell 4-1 in the second round of the tournament to Temple, sending them into the consolation bracket.

Temple took the doubles point to begin the match, as Boney and Lecluyse fell 8-3 to Josephine Bergman and Katharina Mittag. Comas continued to be successful for UMass, as she continued her strong play with 6-2, 6-2 victories over Bergman.

Temple quickly regained control as it swept the No. 4, 5 and 6 singles contests to take the match. The Hawks moved on to face second-seeded Richmond in the semifinals, while UMass moved on to face Saint Louis for fifth-place overall.

UMass defeated SLU, 4-1, to earn a tie for the fifth-place spot. Top-seeded Xavier also finished fifth after beating Duquesne in its consolation match. Boney and Lecluyse seized the early momentum by defeating Casey Miller and Jenny Nalepa, 9-7. Jocelyn Providence and Kaitlyn Carpenter earned the doubles point with a 8-3 win over Mia Elmore and Sarah Septien.

While Comas fell 6-2, 6-4 to Hailee Elmore, Boney, Carpenter and Lecluyse picked up the slack with victories at No. 2, No. 5 and No. 6 singles respectively.   

Nine of the team’s 11 players will return next year, with Lecluyse being the lone graduating senior while sophomore Magdalena Ploch has been off the team since mid-March.

In the larger A-10 tournament, Richmond repeated as champions by defeating George Washington, 4-0. The fifth-seeded Colonials had made a strong run through the tournament, defeating St. Bonaventure, Duquesne and Charlotte. The Spiders entered the championship game after defeating Dayton, St. Louis and Temple.

The title was the seventh in school history for the Spiders. The victory also clinched a spot in next month’s NCAA tournament. Last year, Duke swept Richmond, 4-0, in the first round.

Ben Lambert can be reached at wlambert@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.