UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass finishes A-10 tournament play

Amanda Joinson/Collegian

The Massachusetts tennis team finished tied for fifth overall in the 2010 Atlantic 10 tournament on Saturday afternoon in St. Louis, Missouri The Minutewomen improved their performance from last year finishing one place higher.

The A-10 tournament for UMass began with a 4-1 victory over Saint Joseph’s on Friday afternoon. Candynce Boney and Maude Lecluyse helped the Minutewomen with an 8-6 victory over Jhennifer Kedzierski and Laura Matz.

After falling in No. 2 doubles, the team of Jocelyn Providence and Kaitlyn Carpenter clinched the doubles point for UMass with a 8-3 win over Tara Walsh and Kate Dowd.

The Minutewomen clinched the victory by taking three of the four singles matches. Freshman Julia Comas raised her record to 6-2 at No. 1 singles winning, 6-1, 6-1, over Kedzierski. Both Tanisha Hodgson and Jocelyn Providence lost one game apiece in singles victories at No. 3 and No. 6 singles respectively to clinch the victory for UMass.
          The Minutewomen fell 4-1 in the second round of the tournament to Temple, sending them into the consolation bracket.

Temple took the doubles point to begin the match, as Boney and Lecluyse fell 8-3 to Josephine Bergman and Katharina Mittag. Comas continued to be successful for UMass, as she continued her strong play with 6-2, 6-2 victories over Bergman.

Temple quickly regained control as it swept the No. 4, 5 and 6 singles contests to take the match. The Hawks moved on to face second-seeded Richmond in the semifinals, while UMass moved on to face Saint Louis for fifth-place overall.

UMass defeated SLU, 4-1, to earn a tie for the fifth-place spot. Top-seeded Xavier also finished fifth after beating Duquesne in its consolation match. Boney and Lecluyse seized the early momentum by defeating Casey Miller and Jenny Nalepa, 9-7. Jocelyn Providence and Kaitlyn Carpenter earned the doubles point with a 8-3 win over Mia Elmore and Sarah Septien.

While Comas fell 6-2, 6-4 to Hailee Elmore, Boney, Carpenter and Lecluyse picked up the slack with victories at No. 2, No. 5 and No. 6 singles respectively.   

Nine of the team’s 11 players will return next year, with Lecluyse being the lone graduating senior while sophomore Magdalena Ploch has been off the team since mid-March.

In the larger A-10 tournament, Richmond repeated as champions by defeating George Washington, 4-0. The fifth-seeded Colonials had made a strong run through the tournament, defeating St. Bonaventure, Duquesne and Charlotte. The Spiders entered the championship game after defeating Dayton, St. Louis and Temple.

The title was the seventh in school history for the Spiders. The victory also clinched a spot in next month’s NCAA tournament. Last year, Duke swept Richmond, 4-0, in the first round.

Ben Lambert can be reached at wlambert@student.umass.edu.