Go Gaga with spring fashion

These days, there’s no one with a more individual and eccentric fashion sense than Lady Gaga. Every time she makes a video, steps out on the red carpet or simply goes walking down the street, she has heads turning. Whether it be a globe around her head, a bloody wedding dress at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards, or an interview with German Television with an ensemble entirely devoted to Kermit the Frog, Gaga definitely knows how to make a statement, and, arguably, does it better than anyone else in the business. She always wears funky looks that are very much over the top. She knows exactly how to push the envelope, and her fame is skyrocketing because of it.
Although most of her looks are not socially acceptable to wear around campus, there are a few, basic things that any college girl can incorporate into her wardrobe to get that same Gaga glam.
Gaga rocks all her looks with loud, bright and audacious colors. In each of the pictured looks, she includes various hues of the rainbow. And with the spring season in full swing, it is perfect time to bring out your best and brightest. Some of Lady Gaga’s personal favorites are bold reds, bright pinks and purples and some daring yellows and greens. So no matter how loud the shade of your top may be, rock it with confidence.
After you’ve gotten your perfect shade, add a little sparkle to it. The majority of the time Lady Gaga is spotted in public, she has something bright and shiny on. She incorporates the idea of a “disco stick” into these looks, giving her that extra glam and shine. If you’re not headed out to some red carpet event or glamorous party, you can still get your glam on while walking to class. Simply add to your look with a sequin top, jacket or shawl. Not only will all eyes be on you, but it is a perfect look for the spring season.
Like any fashionista, Lady Gaga knows the importance of accessories. Whether it’s a pair of sunglasses or a crazy hat, she still pulls it off. Stylish shades have become synonymous with her name. From small circular ones, to rhinestone-studded square ones, she’s worn them, day and night. It adds a little mystery to her look.
Another must-have accessory of hers is leather gloves. They give her that badass biker chick look without her having to hop on the back of a Harley. A great place to get a deal on leather gloves and more is ShopStyle.com.
Hats are another one of Lady Gaga’s beloved accessories. She has rocked all types of hats, including ones resembling mushrooms, to an entire peacock’s worth of feathers. But if that type of statement isn’t quite your style, simply do up your look with a more subtle headpiece. Anything from a bright beanie, a chic beret or a vintage Cloche hat will give your look extra pizazz. A great place to find Gaga-esque hats is HatsInTheBelfry.com. And if you’re questioning exactly what type of headpiece to get, check out About.com’s Hat Glossary.
Once you’ve completely Gaga-ed out the top half of your body, it’s time to move on to the bottom. Now, on more than one occasion, Lady Gaga has been spotted wearing onesie-leotards with no pants. That isn’t really the best look to walk to class in – so an alternative is tight, shiny bottoms. Gaga’s been to known to love shiny, lycra leggings. Those can be found anywhere from American Apparel to Urban Outfitters.
For shoes, the higher the heal, the better. Lady Gaga even wore a pair of 10-inch Alexander McQueen stilettos in her video for “Bad Romance.” But, if you’re one of the countless girls who can’t rock in super high heals, a chic pair of flats will do the trick. Great flats can be found at pretty much all retail shops, but the best deals can be found at places like Target, Payless and DSW.
After you’ve gathered your bright shirts, shiny jackets, eccentric accessories, tight pants, and killer shoes, be sure to incorporate Lady Gaga’s confidence into your look. She walks down any red carpet, wearing her confidence on her sleeve.

Julie Holbrook can be reached at [email protected].