Modern American hero

This Friday, Bill Moyers, an American journalist who hosted PBS’ “Bill Moyers Journal,” will retire from his weekly broadcast at the age of 75, after over 50 years of working as a media professional in various capacities. Numerous reports suggest that Moyers will not be leaving journalism for good, but he has no new projects in the works.

As a soon-to-be graduate with a BA in journalism, Moyers’ bittersweet retirement could not have come at a more appropriate time for me, whose exposure to the maverick media man was one of the guiding reasons I picked my choice of study.

Over the past six years, Moyers became something of a personal hero to me – his extraordinary commitment to journalism itself is insurmountable; his reputation has been revered the world over. Even the late-great Studs Terkel, a Pulitzer Prize-winning American author, cites Moyers as personal inspiration. “Bill Moyers has been my North Star, in his eloquence, his quiet passion and courage, and in the way he presents me and millions of others with the ideals of our nation,” Terkel once stated, “…from our past to our present to our uncertain future. Always he offers the gifts of thoughtfulness and of hope.” 

I know many of you reading this editorial probably have no idea who Bill Moyers is – and why should you? He’s fairly under the radar, especially when measured against the big-name pundits normally featured in television newscasts, thrusting their overzealous opinions into the media spotlight. His show is also aired on PBS, which, let’s face it, always takes the backburner to MTV, HBO and E!, not to mention its Friday evening time slot – students are far too busy partaking in end-of-week beer festivities to tune in at that hour. And I’m going to venture to say that some of you may not really have an interest in journalism, politics or the like – especially if you’re a neuroscience major on the fast track to medical school.

So why should Bill Moyers be of any interest to you, especially if you’re not a “news nerd?” What exactly do plastic surgeons, marine biologists, archaeologists or anthropologists have to learn from this man?

At the tender age of 16, my father, who had always been a faithful follower of Moyers’ work, noticed and was thrilled I was becoming more interested in news, politics and writing. Admittedly, this interest was definitely fostered by my teenage need to develop an opinion on absolutely everything, then making sure everyone was well aware of it.

But one night, my father somehow persuaded me to watch Moyers’ PBS program at the time, “NOW with Bill Moyers.” Like every other teenager, I knew absolutely everything and anything there was to know about the world, clearly. I mean, really, what kinds of insights could this guy give that would have any impact on my life?

An hour later, my perception and understanding of the world around me began to shift. The episode we watched featured a discussion on our government’s response to 9/11, with extensive investigations, interviews and in-depth analyses of the situation. My first exposure to Bill Moyers got me to stop talking and start listening – to question not only the judgments of others, but also my own. Since that moment, I haven’t stopped reading or watching his work.

Now 22 and way more aware, my following of Moyers throughout the past six years has given me a strong sense of the man behind the reporting. Regardless of background (political, religious, ethnic), there is certainly a general understanding of good and bad, right and wrong, among different demographics around the world. Anyone with knowledge of Moyers and his work would, without a doubt, see the immense amount of goodness in this journalist. His reporting goes far beyond just delivering the facts – he inspires viewers to question, to think, to keep tabs on the government.

Many shower Moyers with praise over his work and accomplishments, something that’s undoubtedly warranted. But his truest, his most profound accomplishment, though, is his rare ability to maintain an utmost sense of dignity and morality while producing some of history’s most groundbreaking journalism. Moyers served as former President Lyndon Baines Johnson’s press secretary from 1965 to 1967 – though LBJ’s persistence in the Vietnam War left Moyers grappling with his conscience; not knowing if he could compromise his personal convictions regarding the war to continue representing the president. In “Secrets: A Memoir of Vietnam and the Pentagon Papers,” written by Daniel Ellsberg, Moyers is reported as saying, “I never thought the situation could arise when I would wish for the defeat of LBJ, and that makes my current state of mind all the more painful to me.”

Moyers’ decision to end his press secretary stint and work as a publisher for Newsday is a prime example of the legendary reporter’s integrity – removing himself from one of the most powerful, prestigious and exciting positions a media professional could have for the sheer sake of his ethics? Without running the risk of sounding cliché or contrived, Moyers’ actions are not just the mark of a courageous individual. They’re the indication of a true American hero. Since leaving his post serving LBJ in 1967, exceptional journalism has been his calling.

Moyers’ most relevant legacy extends far beyond the realm of newswriting, newscasts and reporting. It even extends far beyond the scope of journalism ethics. What college students, recent graduates and Americans can learn from his life’s work is the ability to maintain the kind of self-respect and self-reliance in everything you do – from career choices to family, and everything in between.

During a time when it seems as if individuals are becoming increasingly corrupt, “selling-out” is fairly standard and shows like “Jersey Shore” and “Tough Love” demand the undivided attention of millions of fans on a weekly basis, we’re in dire need of more public figures who espouse strong values, ones we so often forget due to hyped-up celebrity culture and tendency to associate these people with reality. Skip the “Real World/Road Rules Challenge” this week and pick up a copy of “Moyers on Democracy” – you won’t be disappointed.

Kirsten Swenson is a Collegian columnist. She can be reached at [email protected]