UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Five places to study at UMass -

UMass tennis team battles injuries as season comes to an end -

Chaz Williams to compete in Portsmouth Invitational Tournament -

Putting the ‘new’ back into ‘news’ -

Kurt Cobain, remembered 20 years later -

Feist plays engaging, soulful show at the Calvin Theater -

UMass poll shows Coakley emerging as a frontrunner in upcoming election -

Rain washes out baseball, softball -

General Education courses should not be required -

Campus Perspectives: One year anniversary of the Boston Marathon Bombings -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Boston Marathon: One year later -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Bostonian spirit prevails -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Minutewomen continue to show offensive improvement -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Overalls and whitewashed outfits trend in spring 2014 -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

UMass looks to continue to build confidence against non-conference opponents -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

UMass rowing overcomes food poisoning and earns gold at Knecht Cup -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Lessons from the Marathon bombings -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Minutewomen head to Dartmouth to face stiff competition

The Massachusetts rowing team looks to pick up a strong win against tough competition in this Saturday’s regatta in Dartmouth, New Hampshire, in preparation for May’s U.S. Rowing Collegiate Championship tournament.

The weekend’s regatta will feature races from the Varsity 8, the Second Varsity 8, the Lightweight 8 and the Varsity 4 boats.

The competition this weekend will be a huge factor, as the Minutewomen will be facing off against strong opponents in Dartmouth, Buffalo and Cornell.

Dartmouth is one of the premiere Ivy League crews with a 10-2 overall record. The Big Green are ranked 17th in the nation according to the Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association and are looking to improve their standings further against a determined UMass crew.

Buffalo, however, is the team that looks to be the biggest overall threat in this weekend’s regatta. The Bulls are fresh off of a Colonial Athletic Association championship run and are trying to show that they are one of the teams to beat in the Collegiate Championships. UMass coach Jim Dietz is not missing their argument.

“Buffalo is one of the strongest teams in the country, and I can definitely see them reaching the finals in the Championship regatta. Their crew is one that raises the bar for other schools across the country.”

Dietz understands Buffalo’s strengths and abilities well, considering his team was in that same position just a few years ago.

“We were always that team, but now others have taken our place as we find ourselves in the middle of a rebuilding year,” Dietz said.

It’s worthy to note that, in the Minutewomen’s rebuilding year, they have rarely finished below second place overall in any regatta. They have also placed in first and second consecutively in several different races throughout the season.

In preparation for their last three regattas of the year, most of the rowers have taken it upon themselves to practice on the water twice a day, getting their timing right and figuring out which combinations of rowers per boat work out the best.

“The more time that they spend on the water, the better they’ll become. We make sure that they don’t burn themselves out by having their second practices outside replace the time that they would have spent in Boyden working on rowing machines and in the weight room,” Dietz said.

In a sport like this, constant practice and repetition are key to a crew’s success. Hundreds of hours go into races that last at most six or seven minutes. Determination, camaraderie and commitment will be what help the team transition from a rebuilding roster to a championship contender.

“You don’t get good at rowing if you don’t have a day-to-day, year-to-year commitment,” Dietz said. “These girls have that, and they all want to enjoy the same type of success that this program has seen in the previous decade.”

In preparation for the upcoming championship regatta in New Jersey, Dietz is looking to concentrate more efforts on the smaller and lightweight boats. Those, he feels, are the boats that are really going to make a lot of noise in the championship bout.

David Martin can be reached at dmmartin@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Minutewomen head to Dartmouth to face stiff competition”
  1. ds says:

dartmouth is located in hanover, new hampshire. dartmouth is not the name of the town.

good luck in your racing!

thanks.