Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Minutewomen head to Dartmouth to face stiff competition

The Massachusetts rowing team looks to pick up a strong win against tough competition in this Saturday’s regatta in Dartmouth, New Hampshire, in preparation for May’s U.S. Rowing Collegiate Championship tournament.

The weekend’s regatta will feature races from the Varsity 8, the Second Varsity 8, the Lightweight 8 and the Varsity 4 boats.

The competition this weekend will be a huge factor, as the Minutewomen will be facing off against strong opponents in Dartmouth, Buffalo and Cornell.

Dartmouth is one of the premiere Ivy League crews with a 10-2 overall record. The Big Green are ranked 17th in the nation according to the Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association and are looking to improve their standings further against a determined UMass crew.

Buffalo, however, is the team that looks to be the biggest overall threat in this weekend’s regatta. The Bulls are fresh off of a Colonial Athletic Association championship run and are trying to show that they are one of the teams to beat in the Collegiate Championships. UMass coach Jim Dietz is not missing their argument.

“Buffalo is one of the strongest teams in the country, and I can definitely see them reaching the finals in the Championship regatta. Their crew is one that raises the bar for other schools across the country.”

Dietz understands Buffalo’s strengths and abilities well, considering his team was in that same position just a few years ago.

“We were always that team, but now others have taken our place as we find ourselves in the middle of a rebuilding year,” Dietz said.

It’s worthy to note that, in the Minutewomen’s rebuilding year, they have rarely finished below second place overall in any regatta. They have also placed in first and second consecutively in several different races throughout the season.

In preparation for their last three regattas of the year, most of the rowers have taken it upon themselves to practice on the water twice a day, getting their timing right and figuring out which combinations of rowers per boat work out the best.

“The more time that they spend on the water, the better they’ll become. We make sure that they don’t burn themselves out by having their second practices outside replace the time that they would have spent in Boyden working on rowing machines and in the weight room,” Dietz said.

In a sport like this, constant practice and repetition are key to a crew’s success. Hundreds of hours go into races that last at most six or seven minutes. Determination, camaraderie and commitment will be what help the team transition from a rebuilding roster to a championship contender.

“You don’t get good at rowing if you don’t have a day-to-day, year-to-year commitment,” Dietz said. “These girls have that, and they all want to enjoy the same type of success that this program has seen in the previous decade.”

In preparation for the upcoming championship regatta in New Jersey, Dietz is looking to concentrate more efforts on the smaller and lightweight boats. Those, he feels, are the boats that are really going to make a lot of noise in the championship bout.

David Martin can be reached at dmmartin@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Minutewomen head to Dartmouth to face stiff competition”
  1. ds says:

dartmouth is located in hanover, new hampshire. dartmouth is not the name of the town.

good luck in your racing!

thanks.