UMass chancellor suspends use of student confidential informants -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Only a freshman, Matthew Mooney provides valuable minutes for UMass men’s soccer -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Fox’s new ‘Red Band Society’ could be important if it wasn’t misguided -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The SGA can’t fix problems without students’ help -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Minutewomen look for improved offense, steady defense in A-10 play -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Safe Passage provides services for survivors of domestic violence -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

A fruity, creamy berry Irish Fool recipe -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

UMass women’s soccer battles Harvard to a draw -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

UMass to implement new electronic security sign-in system -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

UMatter at UMass campaign tackling problem of alcohol and drug abuse -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

With conference play under way, UMass looks to get on track -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Depth, chemistry powers UMass club hockey -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Hader and Wiig give a beating heart to ‘Skeleton Twins’ -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

UMass falls short at home to UNH 1-0 -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tennis shines in West Point Invitational -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

SGA to launch new binge drinking awareness campaign -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

UMass rugby captain Devin Ibanez: ‘I’m just a rugby maniac’ -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

SGA discusses University’s confidential informant policy -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Akron upsets ACC foe, Toledo outruns Central Michigan -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Electro-pop duo Cherub takes its sweet sound to Pearl Street -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Rams shut out Gaels, 49ers end home schedule with victory

A combination of stellar Fordham offense and pitching helped the Rams shut out Iona, 6-0, for its fourth consecutive shutout on Tuesday afternoon.

Fordham (40-8, 12-2 Atlantic 10) proved once again why it is one of the premier softball teams in the country, as pitcher Jen Mineau led the team by hurling four strong innings, while giving up only one hit and striking out four against the Gaels (22-18).

Mineau improved her record to 27-5, and also has 400 strikeouts on the season.

The offense saw significant contributions from senior Erin Fisher, as she hit a three-run home run over the centerfield fence early on in the game, her 13th on the season. 

Junior Jocelyn Dearborn also had a good day offensively, as she went 2-for-4 with a run and a run batted in.

The win is the Rams’ fourth-straight shutout, and is also their 14th-straight win, as they remain a perfect 15-0 away from their home field. This season also marks the first time in program history when Fordham reached the 40-win plateau. The Rams are currently in third place in the A-10 standings, trailing only Charlotte and division-leading Massachusetts.

49ers close out home season with win

The Charlotte 49ers ended their 2010 season at home on a strong note, taking down UNC-Greensboro, 9-2, Tuesday afternoon.

The 49ers (35-13, 12-2 A-10) showed the rest of the Atlantic 10 why they deserve to hold on to the No. 2 seed, as they scored seven runs in the last two rain-drizzled innings against the Spartans.
The Spartans (23-24) were able to tie up the game at 1-1 in the third inning, but it all went down hill from there.

After taking a slim 2-1 lead in the bottom of the third, the 49ers racked up five runs in the fifth off a bases-loaded triple by Lorena Vela and a two-run shot by Natalyn Blanton.

Pitcher Emily Jeffery picked up her 25th complete game of the season, as she struck out 11 and improved her record to 19-8.

Serena Smith broke the school’s career RBI record and Jeffery broke the school’s career strikeout record.

Owls Shut out GW in double-header

The Temple Owls improved their status in the Atlantic 10 rankings as they completed a sweep against conference-rival George Washington with the help of Kristen Marris’ pitching performances.

The Owls (16-25, 5-7 A-10) moved up in the division rankings with their double-header wins against the Colonials (5-35, 2-14 A-10), who are still struggling to make it out of the bottom slot in the division.

Marris gave up three hits combined in both games against the Colonials. She improved her record on the year to 10-11 and solidified her spot as one of the most reliable hurlers in the Temple rotation, as she struck out a combined 10 batters on the day.

Though the Temple offense exploded in the first game, scoring 10 runs (three unearned) on seven hits, they were very much quieted in the second game, where they scored just four runs on five hits. 

The Owls will need more performances from their leaders in the last days of the season, especially in games against Atlantic 10 teams. Their playoff chances, though slimmer than they would like, are still alive if they can keep up their strong play down the stretch.

David Martin can be reached at dmmartin@student.umass.edu.