Halloween Special Issue -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UM alumni hopeful for their up-and-coming snowboard company -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hockey looks to end road trip on a high note with weekend series against Maine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

#WrongDoor: Why I am not surprised? -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

B-horror films: hits and misses of the nightmare genre -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Appreciating campus workers -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hosts Ebola panel to address concerns of the public -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Democrats hope to get more students connected -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The broke college student horror comic buyers guide -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Republican Club: Not just for Republicans -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Five reasons why Halloween is the best holiday -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

To live and die and live again -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The anatomy of a horror game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Berger has first shot at securing starting role with UMass basketball -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Robert Johnson’s deal with the devil -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Humans vs. Zombies: UMass’ most dangerous game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Group Halloween costumes inspired by the roles of Hollywood icons -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

A haunting at UMass -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

At the end of your rope? Write about it. -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass men’s soccer heads down to Carolina for a weekend pair of games -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Reeves no longer slumping, instead surging

The Massachusetts softball team’s first baseman Sarah Reeves is coming close to breaking school records, as she has recorded a hit in five back-to-back appearances at the plate twice this season.

The senior, with a team-leading slugging percentage of .624, showed her consistent hitting last Saturday against St. Louis. In her last at-bat of the game, Reeves hit a double with two outs and put herself in a position to score the winning run. However, the final batter struck out to end the inning and leave the game at a 3-3 tie.

Since then, Reeves went a perfect 4-for-4 in Game 1 against Rhode Island. She started by singling to left field to get on base, but was left stranded after advancing to second. Reeves repeated her initial hit by singling up the left side again in the third inning. The senior went on to double in fourth inning and was sent home from a Katie Bettencourt home run. She ended the game with a triple to left center and tacked on an additional UMass run from a Bettencourt single.

However, Reeves has yet to break the record of a hit in seven-straight appearances at the plate. The record was set in 1980 by Jackie Gaw and tied by Chris Ciepiela in 1986. Reeves tied this record earlier in the season, however her five back-to-back hits falls short by three hits of taking first place in UMass history.

Sophomores lead UMass

Along with fellow classmate Reeves, Katie Bettencourt also played an important role in recent victories.

The sophomore went a perfect 3-for-3 in Game 1 against URI, highlighted by a two-run home run in the fourth inning. Bettencourt is batting .360 for the season along with a .588 slugging percentage, helped out by six home runs. She also contributed with a single in the third that led to a run scored, followed by an RBI single.

Bettencourt received Atlantic 10 honors on April 12 after leading the Minutewomen to a victory over Boston College and Charlotte. In the BC game, the sophomore hit a three-run home run that gave her a slugging percentage of 1.300 for the week.

In the 3-0 win over Charlotte, Bettencourt provided all three runs for her team. A double led to her scoring the first run of the game, followed by a two-run home run in the sixth inning to ensure the victory.

The outfielder has scored 26 runs, placing her behind fellow sophomore Kyllie Magill with 30, and has also helped out with 21 RBIs.

Pinch runners help out

UMass boasts a collection of pinch runners and hitters who have helped out this season to provide an added offensive spark. Specifically, freshmen Cyndil Matthew and Christine Della Vecchia have been used for the crucial positions.

In the recent sweep of URI, the freshman pair played a big role. Della Vecchia pinch ran for Reeves after a single got her on base in the third inning. She proceeded to steal second base and advanced to third on a walk. A second walked batter brought Della Vecchia home to score the second run of Game 1 for the Minutewomen.

Matthew also showed her speed in Game 1, stealing second base after pinch running for Jessica Serio. She advanced to third on a throwing error, but was unable to score as Michelle Libby popped up to second base and left Matthew stranded.

The freshman also provided offensive spark in Game 2, as she scored on a double steal of first and third base. Despite only four hits for the season, Matthew has proved herself as a successful pinch runner with 14 runs scored and is 10-for-12 in stolen bases this season. Della Vecchia has contributed two runs, along with two stolen bases.

Geena Lombardi can be reached at glombard@student.umass.edu.