Paranormal Research Society seeks to uncover the truth about the supernatural -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass tops Merrimack 4-1 to cap off successful weekend series -

Monday, January 26, 2015

‘Broad City’s’ second season off to a wickedly funny start -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Students respond to Obama’s State of the Union address -

Monday, January 26, 2015

St. Bonaventure earns tight victory, VCU clinches 11th straight win in Atlantic 10 men’s basketball action -

Monday, January 26, 2015

An open letter to the people who were kind when I was struggling -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass club hockey salvages weekend with tie against NYU on Saturday -

Monday, January 26, 2015

2015 Winter TCA’s announce bevy of show returns and new releases -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Brilliant online film archives for cinema lovers -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass men’s and women’s track and field teams see mixed results in Joe Donahue Indoor Games -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Steve Mastalerz, defense delivers for UMass hockey -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass online graduate programs climb U.S. News & World Report rankings -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Front to Back: Week of Jan. 25, 2015 -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

BLOG: UMass football receives seven verbal commitments -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

UMass plans to fail again with Super Bowl guest policy -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Special teams play fuels late UMass rally, forces tie -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

BLOG: UMass hires Mark Michaels as special teams coordinator, outside linebackers coach -

Friday, January 23, 2015

Former Tibetan political prisoner overcomes odds in Tibet and the US -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

UMass basketball falls flat in loss to St. Joe’s -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

‘Selma’ resonates with the here and now -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

Reeves no longer slumping, instead surging

The Massachusetts softball team’s first baseman Sarah Reeves is coming close to breaking school records, as she has recorded a hit in five back-to-back appearances at the plate twice this season.

The senior, with a team-leading slugging percentage of .624, showed her consistent hitting last Saturday against St. Louis. In her last at-bat of the game, Reeves hit a double with two outs and put herself in a position to score the winning run. However, the final batter struck out to end the inning and leave the game at a 3-3 tie.

Since then, Reeves went a perfect 4-for-4 in Game 1 against Rhode Island. She started by singling to left field to get on base, but was left stranded after advancing to second. Reeves repeated her initial hit by singling up the left side again in the third inning. The senior went on to double in fourth inning and was sent home from a Katie Bettencourt home run. She ended the game with a triple to left center and tacked on an additional UMass run from a Bettencourt single.

However, Reeves has yet to break the record of a hit in seven-straight appearances at the plate. The record was set in 1980 by Jackie Gaw and tied by Chris Ciepiela in 1986. Reeves tied this record earlier in the season, however her five back-to-back hits falls short by three hits of taking first place in UMass history.

Sophomores lead UMass

Along with fellow classmate Reeves, Katie Bettencourt also played an important role in recent victories.

The sophomore went a perfect 3-for-3 in Game 1 against URI, highlighted by a two-run home run in the fourth inning. Bettencourt is batting .360 for the season along with a .588 slugging percentage, helped out by six home runs. She also contributed with a single in the third that led to a run scored, followed by an RBI single.

Bettencourt received Atlantic 10 honors on April 12 after leading the Minutewomen to a victory over Boston College and Charlotte. In the BC game, the sophomore hit a three-run home run that gave her a slugging percentage of 1.300 for the week.

In the 3-0 win over Charlotte, Bettencourt provided all three runs for her team. A double led to her scoring the first run of the game, followed by a two-run home run in the sixth inning to ensure the victory.

The outfielder has scored 26 runs, placing her behind fellow sophomore Kyllie Magill with 30, and has also helped out with 21 RBIs.

Pinch runners help out

UMass boasts a collection of pinch runners and hitters who have helped out this season to provide an added offensive spark. Specifically, freshmen Cyndil Matthew and Christine Della Vecchia have been used for the crucial positions.

In the recent sweep of URI, the freshman pair played a big role. Della Vecchia pinch ran for Reeves after a single got her on base in the third inning. She proceeded to steal second base and advanced to third on a walk. A second walked batter brought Della Vecchia home to score the second run of Game 1 for the Minutewomen.

Matthew also showed her speed in Game 1, stealing second base after pinch running for Jessica Serio. She advanced to third on a throwing error, but was unable to score as Michelle Libby popped up to second base and left Matthew stranded.

The freshman also provided offensive spark in Game 2, as she scored on a double steal of first and third base. Despite only four hits for the season, Matthew has proved herself as a successful pinch runner with 14 runs scored and is 10-for-12 in stolen bases this season. Della Vecchia has contributed two runs, along with two stolen bases.

Geena Lombardi can be reached at glombard@student.umass.edu.