Paranormal Research Society seeks to uncover the truth about the supernatural -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass tops Merrimack 4-1 to cap off successful weekend series -

Monday, January 26, 2015

‘Broad City’s’ second season off to a wickedly funny start -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Students respond to Obama’s State of the Union address -

Monday, January 26, 2015

St. Bonaventure earns tight victory, VCU clinches 11th straight win in Atlantic 10 men’s basketball action -

Monday, January 26, 2015

An open letter to the people who were kind when I was struggling -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass club hockey salvages weekend with tie against NYU on Saturday -

Monday, January 26, 2015

2015 Winter TCA’s announce bevy of show returns and new releases -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Brilliant online film archives for cinema lovers -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass men’s and women’s track and field teams see mixed results in Joe Donahue Indoor Games -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Steve Mastalerz, defense delivers for UMass hockey -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass online graduate programs climb U.S. News & World Report rankings -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Front to Back: Week of Jan. 25, 2015 -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

BLOG: UMass football receives seven verbal commitments -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

UMass plans to fail again with Super Bowl guest policy -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Special teams play fuels late UMass rally, forces tie -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

BLOG: UMass hires Mark Michaels as special teams coordinator, outside linebackers coach -

Friday, January 23, 2015

Former Tibetan political prisoner overcomes odds in Tibet and the US -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

UMass basketball falls flat in loss to St. Joe’s -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

‘Selma’ resonates with the here and now -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

Special teams to play vital role for UMass against Drexel

Success in lacrosse isn’t always determined by a team’s ability to function in even-man situations.

While the No.9 Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team excels on special teams offense, No. 13 Drexel is one of the toughest teams to beat on the penalty kill in the Colonial Athletic Association.

A win this weekend puts the Minutemen into a good position for good seeding in the conference tournament.

UMass (8-4, 2-2 CAA) boasts a conference-best 45-percent man-up scoring percentage, tallying 17 goals on the man-advantage.

Attackman Kyle Smith and midfielder Bobby Hayes account for nine of those goals.

Saturday against Georgetown, the Minutemen won, 13-12 but needed to score the final three goals of the game to do so.

“I thought we needed to be more athletic on the attack side,” UMass coach Greg Cannella said of the Minutemen’s win against Georgetown last Saturday.

“In starting D’Amario right of the bat, hopefully we’ll instill some confidence in him. We bumped up Christian Hain into the first group with Bobby Hayes and Ryan Hantverk and that’s a formidable group.”

In that game, the Minutemen scored on their only extra-man opportunity of the game and allowed the Hoyas two extra-man opportunities, one of which resulted in a goal.

The two penalties were an improvement, however, for a UMass team that averages four per game. The Dragons (9-4, 2-2) average just under five

Outside of goalkeeper Mark Manos (7.90 goals against average, .607 save percentage), defenseman Dana Wilbur (45 ground balls, 11 caused-turnovers) brings ball-hawking skills that can stifle numerous offensive runs put together by opponents.

As well as handling themselves on the defensive side of special teams, six different Dragons have multiple man-up goals on the season.

Conference Differential

Both UMass and Drexel have trouble defending against conference opponents. Each have 36 goals against them in conference play.

“It’s our first year [in the conference] and the two teams we’ve faced for the first time in conference, we’ve lost to,” Cannella said. “So we put the challenge [to break that trend] out to the guys this week.”

The Minutemen average 17 turnovers per-game against conference opponents but Tim McCormack’s .581 save-percentage in conference game is 20 points higher than his overall.

Another constant during conference play is the tandem of attackmen Will Manny and Anthony Biscardi.

Manny has most of the minutes previously held by sophomore Art Kell, whose season ended due to a leg injury as UMass began conference play. Since then, Manny has nine goals, six assists. He also leads the conference with 3.75 points per-game in conference games.

The only blemish to Manny’s conference numbers is his 16 turnovers.

Biscardi has seven goals, five assists, while starting in all four conference games this season.

Defenseman Diogo Godoi and Casey Rahn have led the UMass defense through conference play, amassing 14 caused-turnovers, 20 ground balls, second only to face off midfielder Greg Rushing, who leads the conference with 21 ground balls during CAA play.

Mike Gillmeister can be reached at mgillmei@student.umass.edu.