UMass men’s soccer look to surprise the Atlantic 10 conference for the second consecutive season -

Third and 20 S2 Episode 8 -

Author, poet and ex-con gives talk on criminal justice reform -

Israeli writer Ari Shavit speaks at Integrative Learning Center -

Alex DeSantis continues strong play for UMass men’s soccer as season reaches midway point -

Andrew Ford looks to continue to lead UMass football’s torrid offensive passing attack -

Sunset Grill and Pizza adjusts as a new restaurant in Amherst -

UMass field hockey falls 8-1 to No. 1 UConn -

Offensive-oriented practices hold high hopes for UMass women’s soccer with A-10 opener Thursday -

Hyper-stress on college campuses: a culture of high achievement leads to increased rates of mental illnesses -

Race of candidates should not affect voter turnout -

Students share what keeps them happy during the fall -

Harvest’s millennial-pandering replacement to Chameleon Cold Brew leaves caffeine fans at a loss -

Guide to fall 5K races and beyond -

UMass Votes Coalition hosts voter registration event -

Brettell presents on U.S. immigration policies -

UMass field hockey team seeks revenge against undefeated UConn -

UMass running back Marquis Young looks to build off momentum gained against Mississippi State -

UMass hockey announces captains for 2016-17 season -

Andy Isabella finds his niche within the UMass football offense -

Sia brings song to Pearl Street

Sia is an Australian singer, songwriter and dancer who performs jazzy pop songs. She will bring her quirky, part oddball and all charming style to the Pearl Street Ballroom tomorrow at 8 p.m.

Whether or not you have heard of Sia, there’s a good chance you will recognize her music. With songs that have appeared on The O.C., Six Feet Under, the Sex in the City movie, and will soon be featured on Christina Aguilera’s new album “Bionic,” which is set for release on June 4, she is quickly becoming quite a prominent pop artist.

“From acid-jazz ecstasies to downbeat atmospherics, Sia is a woman of artistic phases,” says the preview for her show on the Iron Horse Entertainment Group website. It is hard not to like her soulful music and powerful voice. While her personal style may throw some off, she is delightfully eccentric and childlike, which lends well to her charm.

While her past songs were riddled with autobiographical bits about a very black period in her life, her new material is beginning to take the world by storm. It seems that her music is not far off from radio single stardom.

Sia first got her start in 2000 with her major-label debut album ‘Healing is Difficult,’ which received wide critical acclaim and popularized her music in the United Kingdom. Her next album, ‘Colour the Small One’ released in 2003, featured hit single ‘Breathe Me’ which gave her international recognition when it was featured in the last episode of Six Feet Under. ‘Colour the Small One’ saw an American release in 2006 following its success.

Sia has recently begun a new rise to fame and in the past five years she has managed to be on a number of talk shows, including Late Night with Conan O’Brien and the David Letterman show. Her third album, ‘Some People Have Real Problems,’ was nominated for Best Breakthrough Artist Album at the 2009 Aria awards.

Currently, Sia is on tour in support of her newest CD, ‘We Are Born,’ which will be released June 7. A few of the songs are available on her website now to listen to, including ‘Clap Your Hands,’ an upbeat song that is reminiscent of Christina Aguilera’s music, but still carries Sia’s personality across as well. The tour is called The We Meaning You Tour and spans two continents in two months. She will be visiting the United States, Canada, Denmark, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany and the United Kingdom.

On stage, Sia is joined by bassists Sam Dixon, guitarist Tim Vanderkuil, keyboardist Joe Kennedy, cellist Oliver Kraus and drummer Felix Bloxsom.

Tickets for Wednesday’s show are still available online for $20 and at the door for $25.

Tappan Parker can be reached at rtparker@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Sia brings song to Pearl Street”
  1. you are really a good webmaster. The site loading speed is amazing. It seems that you’re doing any unique trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterwork. you have done a great job on this topic!