UMass field hockey pulls off thrilling overtime victory against Northeastern -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Kicking competition between Blake Lucas, Mike Caggiano nearing decision -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

Sia brings song to Pearl Street

Sia is an Australian singer, songwriter and dancer who performs jazzy pop songs. She will bring her quirky, part oddball and all charming style to the Pearl Street Ballroom tomorrow at 8 p.m.

Whether or not you have heard of Sia, there’s a good chance you will recognize her music. With songs that have appeared on The O.C., Six Feet Under, the Sex in the City movie, and will soon be featured on Christina Aguilera’s new album “Bionic,” which is set for release on June 4, she is quickly becoming quite a prominent pop artist.

“From acid-jazz ecstasies to downbeat atmospherics, Sia is a woman of artistic phases,” says the preview for her show on the Iron Horse Entertainment Group website. It is hard not to like her soulful music and powerful voice. While her personal style may throw some off, she is delightfully eccentric and childlike, which lends well to her charm.

While her past songs were riddled with autobiographical bits about a very black period in her life, her new material is beginning to take the world by storm. It seems that her music is not far off from radio single stardom.

Sia first got her start in 2000 with her major-label debut album ‘Healing is Difficult,’ which received wide critical acclaim and popularized her music in the United Kingdom. Her next album, ‘Colour the Small One’ released in 2003, featured hit single ‘Breathe Me’ which gave her international recognition when it was featured in the last episode of Six Feet Under. ‘Colour the Small One’ saw an American release in 2006 following its success.

Sia has recently begun a new rise to fame and in the past five years she has managed to be on a number of talk shows, including Late Night with Conan O’Brien and the David Letterman show. Her third album, ‘Some People Have Real Problems,’ was nominated for Best Breakthrough Artist Album at the 2009 Aria awards.

Currently, Sia is on tour in support of her newest CD, ‘We Are Born,’ which will be released June 7. A few of the songs are available on her website now to listen to, including ‘Clap Your Hands,’ an upbeat song that is reminiscent of Christina Aguilera’s music, but still carries Sia’s personality across as well. The tour is called The We Meaning You Tour and spans two continents in two months. She will be visiting the United States, Canada, Denmark, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany and the United Kingdom.

On stage, Sia is joined by bassists Sam Dixon, guitarist Tim Vanderkuil, keyboardist Joe Kennedy, cellist Oliver Kraus and drummer Felix Bloxsom.

Tickets for Wednesday’s show are still available online for $20 and at the door for $25.

Tappan Parker can be reached at rtparker@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Sia brings song to Pearl Street”
  1. you are really a good webmaster. The site loading speed is amazing. It seems that you’re doing any unique trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterwork. you have done a great job on this topic!