UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass Football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

Sia brings song to Pearl Street

Sia is an Australian singer, songwriter and dancer who performs jazzy pop songs. She will bring her quirky, part oddball and all charming style to the Pearl Street Ballroom tomorrow at 8 p.m.

Whether or not you have heard of Sia, there’s a good chance you will recognize her music. With songs that have appeared on The O.C., Six Feet Under, the Sex in the City movie, and will soon be featured on Christina Aguilera’s new album “Bionic,” which is set for release on June 4, she is quickly becoming quite a prominent pop artist.

“From acid-jazz ecstasies to downbeat atmospherics, Sia is a woman of artistic phases,” says the preview for her show on the Iron Horse Entertainment Group website. It is hard not to like her soulful music and powerful voice. While her personal style may throw some off, she is delightfully eccentric and childlike, which lends well to her charm.

While her past songs were riddled with autobiographical bits about a very black period in her life, her new material is beginning to take the world by storm. It seems that her music is not far off from radio single stardom.

Sia first got her start in 2000 with her major-label debut album ‘Healing is Difficult,’ which received wide critical acclaim and popularized her music in the United Kingdom. Her next album, ‘Colour the Small One’ released in 2003, featured hit single ‘Breathe Me’ which gave her international recognition when it was featured in the last episode of Six Feet Under. ‘Colour the Small One’ saw an American release in 2006 following its success.

Sia has recently begun a new rise to fame and in the past five years she has managed to be on a number of talk shows, including Late Night with Conan O’Brien and the David Letterman show. Her third album, ‘Some People Have Real Problems,’ was nominated for Best Breakthrough Artist Album at the 2009 Aria awards.

Currently, Sia is on tour in support of her newest CD, ‘We Are Born,’ which will be released June 7. A few of the songs are available on her website now to listen to, including ‘Clap Your Hands,’ an upbeat song that is reminiscent of Christina Aguilera’s music, but still carries Sia’s personality across as well. The tour is called The We Meaning You Tour and spans two continents in two months. She will be visiting the United States, Canada, Denmark, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany and the United Kingdom.

On stage, Sia is joined by bassists Sam Dixon, guitarist Tim Vanderkuil, keyboardist Joe Kennedy, cellist Oliver Kraus and drummer Felix Bloxsom.

Tickets for Wednesday’s show are still available online for $20 and at the door for $25.

Tappan Parker can be reached at rtparker@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Sia brings song to Pearl Street”
  1. you are really a good webmaster. The site loading speed is amazing. It seems that you’re doing any unique trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterwork. you have done a great job on this topic!