Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Sia brings song to Pearl Street

Sia is an Australian singer, songwriter and dancer who performs jazzy pop songs. She will bring her quirky, part oddball and all charming style to the Pearl Street Ballroom tomorrow at 8 p.m.

Whether or not you have heard of Sia, there’s a good chance you will recognize her music. With songs that have appeared on The O.C., Six Feet Under, the Sex in the City movie, and will soon be featured on Christina Aguilera’s new album “Bionic,” which is set for release on June 4, she is quickly becoming quite a prominent pop artist.

“From acid-jazz ecstasies to downbeat atmospherics, Sia is a woman of artistic phases,” says the preview for her show on the Iron Horse Entertainment Group website. It is hard not to like her soulful music and powerful voice. While her personal style may throw some off, she is delightfully eccentric and childlike, which lends well to her charm.

While her past songs were riddled with autobiographical bits about a very black period in her life, her new material is beginning to take the world by storm. It seems that her music is not far off from radio single stardom.

Sia first got her start in 2000 with her major-label debut album ‘Healing is Difficult,’ which received wide critical acclaim and popularized her music in the United Kingdom. Her next album, ‘Colour the Small One’ released in 2003, featured hit single ‘Breathe Me’ which gave her international recognition when it was featured in the last episode of Six Feet Under. ‘Colour the Small One’ saw an American release in 2006 following its success.

Sia has recently begun a new rise to fame and in the past five years she has managed to be on a number of talk shows, including Late Night with Conan O’Brien and the David Letterman show. Her third album, ‘Some People Have Real Problems,’ was nominated for Best Breakthrough Artist Album at the 2009 Aria awards.

Currently, Sia is on tour in support of her newest CD, ‘We Are Born,’ which will be released June 7. A few of the songs are available on her website now to listen to, including ‘Clap Your Hands,’ an upbeat song that is reminiscent of Christina Aguilera’s music, but still carries Sia’s personality across as well. The tour is called The We Meaning You Tour and spans two continents in two months. She will be visiting the United States, Canada, Denmark, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany and the United Kingdom.

On stage, Sia is joined by bassists Sam Dixon, guitarist Tim Vanderkuil, keyboardist Joe Kennedy, cellist Oliver Kraus and drummer Felix Bloxsom.

Tickets for Wednesday’s show are still available online for $20 and at the door for $25.

Tappan Parker can be reached at rtparker@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Sia brings song to Pearl Street”
  1. you are really a good webmaster. The site loading speed is amazing. It seems that you’re doing any unique trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterwork. you have done a great job on this topic!