UMass encourages responsible celebrating, modifies guest policy ahead of Super Bowl -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass basketball returns home to Mullins Center with matchup against Dayton -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Microsoft introduces Windows 10, Codename Spartan and the HoloLens -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Cheap gas, a speed bump for the planet -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Friday night a chance at redemption for UMass hockey -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Beautiful focuses on body image and loving oneself -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Minutewomen set to redeem themselves against the Bonnies -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass basketball seeks more consistency out of its veterans -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass hockey hopes to ride momentum into Friday’s matchup against Boston University -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Tips for maintain and transitioning to a healthier lifestyle -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

MASSPIRG urges McDonalds to stop purchasing meat raised with antibiotics -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

How to avoid, treat and prevent Computer Vision Syndrome as a college student -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Obama and Modi strengthen ties between U.S. and India -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

UMass receives research honor from the Carnegie Foundation -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Islamophobia is a form of racism that needs to be stopped -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Björk gets personal on breakup album, ‘Vulnicura’ -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

UMass Dining nominated for Seafood Champion Award -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Why UMass basketball isn’t a good brand of basketball -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

BLOG: Joseph Widmar commits to UMass hockey -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

BLOG: New York Jets name Marcel Shipp new running backs coach -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

Sia brings song to Pearl Street

Sia is an Australian singer, songwriter and dancer who performs jazzy pop songs. She will bring her quirky, part oddball and all charming style to the Pearl Street Ballroom tomorrow at 8 p.m.

Whether or not you have heard of Sia, there’s a good chance you will recognize her music. With songs that have appeared on The O.C., Six Feet Under, the Sex in the City movie, and will soon be featured on Christina Aguilera’s new album “Bionic,” which is set for release on June 4, she is quickly becoming quite a prominent pop artist.

“From acid-jazz ecstasies to downbeat atmospherics, Sia is a woman of artistic phases,” says the preview for her show on the Iron Horse Entertainment Group website. It is hard not to like her soulful music and powerful voice. While her personal style may throw some off, she is delightfully eccentric and childlike, which lends well to her charm.

While her past songs were riddled with autobiographical bits about a very black period in her life, her new material is beginning to take the world by storm. It seems that her music is not far off from radio single stardom.

Sia first got her start in 2000 with her major-label debut album ‘Healing is Difficult,’ which received wide critical acclaim and popularized her music in the United Kingdom. Her next album, ‘Colour the Small One’ released in 2003, featured hit single ‘Breathe Me’ which gave her international recognition when it was featured in the last episode of Six Feet Under. ‘Colour the Small One’ saw an American release in 2006 following its success.

Sia has recently begun a new rise to fame and in the past five years she has managed to be on a number of talk shows, including Late Night with Conan O’Brien and the David Letterman show. Her third album, ‘Some People Have Real Problems,’ was nominated for Best Breakthrough Artist Album at the 2009 Aria awards.

Currently, Sia is on tour in support of her newest CD, ‘We Are Born,’ which will be released June 7. A few of the songs are available on her website now to listen to, including ‘Clap Your Hands,’ an upbeat song that is reminiscent of Christina Aguilera’s music, but still carries Sia’s personality across as well. The tour is called The We Meaning You Tour and spans two continents in two months. She will be visiting the United States, Canada, Denmark, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany and the United Kingdom.

On stage, Sia is joined by bassists Sam Dixon, guitarist Tim Vanderkuil, keyboardist Joe Kennedy, cellist Oliver Kraus and drummer Felix Bloxsom.

Tickets for Wednesday’s show are still available online for $20 and at the door for $25.

Tappan Parker can be reached at rtparker@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Sia brings song to Pearl Street”
  1. you are really a good webmaster. The site loading speed is amazing. It seems that you’re doing any unique trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterwork. you have done a great job on this topic!