Minutemen rematch with Tigers in CAA tourney

According to Massachusett’s men’s lacrosse coach Greg Cannella, the Minutemen’s season starts tonight.

No. 16 and fourth-seeded UMass (8-5, 2-3 Colonial Athletic Association) takes on No. 20 Towson in the opening round of the conference tournament Wednesday evening at 7:30 p.m. at Johnny Unitas Stadium in Baltimore.

“It’s great for the program and great for our guys,” Cannella said.

“We’ve never been in this position, so it gives you a chance for you to earn your way in.”

UMass joined the CAA this season after being members of the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference and winning the title last season in their final year.

The Tigers (6-7, 4-1 CAA) who hold the one seed, upset the Minutemen back on April 10 by a score of  a 10-9, UMass’ Senior Day.

UMass is coming off a 12-6 loss against Drexel to finish up their regular season conference schedule.

The winner of the CAA tournament earns an automatic bid to the NCAA national tournament, as the Dragons and Delaware faceoff in the other game.

Back on April 10, goalkeeper Tim McCormack had a career-high 18 saves, while Anthony Biscardi netted three goals.

“It’s a quick turnaround and there’s some travel involved, but we have to get off the mat here and get ourselves ready to play,” Cannella said. “It’s a new season, so our guys should be looking forward to it.”

David Brinch can be reached at [email protected].