UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Minutemen hitting carries team over Dayton

Bryan Leigh pitched the Massachusetts baseball team to a 10-2 victory over Dayton on Sunday afternoon, clinching his fifth straight victory and the team’s fifth straight conference series win.

The Minutemen (16-23, 11-10 Atlantic 10) traveled to Ohio on Friday for a three-game set with the Flyers (20-28, 9-12 A-10) and scored in double-digits for the fifth time in the last six outings, managing at least 14 hits in each game over the weekend.

UMass has now won eight of the past 10 games.

Leigh (5-4), the senior right hander, provided a big lift during the rubber match, throwing a complete game. The rest of the pitching staff did not travel so well, giving up seven home runs on Friday and blowing a ninth-inning lead on Saturday.

Six runs in the top of the ninth put the game out of the reach of Dayton, on Sunday. With the score 4-2, Mike Gedman scored on a wild pitch by Chris Beesley and Tom Conley knocked two runners in with a single up-the-middle. Another run batted in by Ryan Cusick and a two-run hit by Eric Fredette extended the lead to eight runs.

Leigh retired the next three batters to secure the win. He allowed two earned runs over nine innings, on eight hits and two walks.

Designated hitter Cusick led UMass from the leadoff spot, going 4-for-5 with two runs and an RBI. Conley, Peter Copa and Matt Gedman each had two hits.

The Minutemen suffered a tough defeat on Saturday, relinquishing a two-run lead going into the final frame to lose 17-16.

UMass led, 15-14, going into the ninth inning. Fredette reached base on an error by pitch Ian Gardeck, and three batters later, Brian Boudinet hit him in with a fielder’s choice to double the Minutemen lead.

Jonathon Castine led off the bottom of the ninth with a double for the Flyers to begin their rally. Mike Gedman gave up a walk and a single to the next two batters until pitcher Leif Sorenson relieved him out of the bullpen. A fielder’s choice by outfielder Mitchell Nelson cut the lead to one and a single by Joe Gayda provided the winning runs as Dayton walked off for the win.

Gedman (1-4) is tagged with the loss, allowing five runs, three earned on four hits and two walks. Starter Jared Freini gave up nine earned runs on 12 hits and seven walks through six innings pitched.

UMass won on Friday, 18-12, despite allowing seven home runs.

Nick Serino (2-5) gave up six long balls, including two apiece to Brian Blasik and Aaron Dunsmore. Serino allowed 11 earned runs on as many hits over six and 0.1 innings pitched on Friday, but still got the win thanks to solid protection from Sorenson, Glenn Misho and 22 UMass hits.

The Minutemen jumped out to a quick 6-0 lead, only to see Dayton eventually even the score in the bottom of the third inning. UMass answered back with four runs in the top of the fourth and added six more unanswered runs through the next three frames to take a 16-6 lead into the bottom of the seventh.

Each hitter in the starting lineup hit safely for the Minutemen and all but one did so multiple times. Mike Gedman registered four hits and eventually scored each time. Copa and left fielder Kyle Multner each went 3-for-5, combining for nine RBIs.

UMass combined for 53 hits off of Dayton pitching in Games 1 and 2 of the series, including the season‘s best total of 22 on Friday. The Minutemen average over 10 hits per game on the season.

UMass now has almost 11 runs per game in their last ten outings, nearly five more runs than its season average (6.36 runs per game).

Dan Gigliotti can be reached at dgigliot@student.umass.edu.

3 Responses to “Minutemen hitting carries team over Dayton”
  1. Doug Leigh says:

Please note, Nick Serino did get the win. You may also want to add that he was pitching with a 30-40 mile wind blowing out to right. Reason for the home runs. In fact URI and St Boneventure cancelled their game Saturday due to wind.

These facts may be usefull in the article.

2. Adam Miller says:

Thanks for the heads up. I corrected the error in the article, but not the 30-40 mph wind as I’m simply editing his articles and don’t want to add anything that he didn’t already say. However, I will make sure to let him know. Thanks.

3. Roland says:

Very nice post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I’ve truly loved surfing around your weblog posts. In any case I will be subscribing for your feed and I’m hoping you
    write again very soon!

You must be logged in to post a comment.