UMass field hockey pulls off thrilling overtime victory against Northeastern -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Kicking competition between Blake Lucas, Mike Caggiano nearing decision -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

Minutemen tangle with Bobcats

For the first time this season, the Massachusetts baseball team has a winning conference record after taking two out of three games at Dayton over the weekend.

“It’s great. That’s what we’re trying to do and we’ve had five great weekends in a row,” UMass coach Mike Stone said. “We’re taking it one game at a time and trying to put together a good effort.”

UMass (16-23, 11-10 Atlantic 10) plays Quinnipiac on Tuesday afternoon, its final non-conference opponent, before taking on Xavier and La Salle in its last two three-game series of the season.

“It’s another opportunity for us to build a better season and we need to give a good effort,” Stone said. “We’re only playing one game this week and we need to take advantage of the opportunity to play. I think we’ll be ready to go.”

The Bobcats (14-30, 13-11 Northeast) are tied for third place in the NEC. They are coming off a series versus Fairleigh Dickinson in which they took three out of four games.

The Minutemen currently sit tied for seventh place in the A-10 with Fordham, but only two games separate seventh and second place. Rhode Island and Saint Joseph’s share that spot with a 13-8 conference record. Saint Joseph’s overall record is 18-23, only two wins better than UMass.

Still, the Minutemen cannot afford to look past this game, knowing that its two most important conference series wait ahead.

“Hopefully we avoid that,” Stone said. “It’s something that we talk about, we remind everybody how important it is to play well everyday. We can’t dwell on that, we’re trying to stay focused and have a good ballgame.”

The Bobcats, as a team, do not hit many home runs, as Brian Monack leads them with seven home runs. Their opponents are out-homering them by 19, and they’re last in the NEC in home runs with 24, with a slugging percentage of .398.

However, small ball is not part of Quinnipiac’s game either. They are at the bottom of the NEC in sacrifice bunts with only eight, tied for last in sacrifice flies, and second to last in stolen base attempts. Like UMass, Quinnipiac has only two players with over five steals. Ryan Ullrich is 10-of-13 while Mickey Amanti is 9-of-13 in bases swiped.

No one on the Bobcats pitching staff with at least six innings pitched has an earned run average under five. As a team, their combined ERA is just under eight at 7.98, while opponents have an ERA of 4.99 against them.

For the Minutemen, sophomore Ben Hart will make his first and only start on the mound.

“He’s pitched well in relief and it’s time to give him a start,” Stone said. “We’re anxious to see what he can do.”

The two teams have met in each of the past three years, with UMass taking two of those games. In their most recent matchup on May 12, 2009, the Minutemen took an early 8-1 advantage in the first three innings and won easily, 12-5. Current senior outfielder Brian Baudinet had a home run in the game.

Pete Vasquez can be reached at pvasquez@student.umass.edu.