Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Minutewomen clinch top spot in A-10 tournament

Through wind and high water, the Massachusetts softball team established itself as the No. 1 seed in the Atlantic 10 tournament with four wins over the weekend under tumultuous weather conditions.

The Minutewomen blanked Saint Joseph’s, 5-0, in Game 1 on Sunday to clinch the top spot in the postseason. With no playoff implications at stake, UMass (38-7-1, 17-0-1 A-10) allowed senior Bailey Sanders to pitch her first game since March 7 when she pitched three shutout innings against Robert Morris.

The offense shortened her work by scoring eight runs in five innings to give the Minutewomen a win by slaughter rule.

UMass had its first run in the first inning and continued solid hitting throughout the game.

The Minutewomen scored three runs in the third inning off of three hits. Outfielder Carly Normandin singled up the middle on a 2-2 pitch and then scored off a home run by left fielder Michelle Libby. First baseman Sarah Reeves homered on the next pitch to give UMass a 4-0 lead.

At the bottom of the fifth inning, the Minutewomen closed the game with four runs. The final two runs came off a two runs batted in hit by senior Jill Andrews.

“I thought we were awesome today,” UMass coach Elaine Sortino said.

Sanders finished the game with a two-hit shutout and six strikeouts.

“Bailey has worked so hard,” Sortino said. “She has been the consummate team player. She’s had limited opportunity and it felt great to be able to put the ball in her hands and see her go with it because she’s been working so hard, and getting better every day this year.”

In Game 1 against the Hawks (27-16, 11-7 A-10), solid defense eased the offense’s work load, which scored all it needed to win in the first inning. Normandin reached base on a single, then stole second.

The next two runs scored on an error and wild pitch. The Minutewomen continued to build the lead with a run by freshman Cyndil Matthew off a hit by catcher Meghan Carta. Right fielder Katie Bettencourt added to the effort with a home run of her own in the fifth inning. Pitcher Sara Plourde finished the game with 13 strikeouts while allowing two hits and two walks to put her at 501 strikeouts for the season.

On Saturday, Plourde broke another UMass record with her 35th win of the season against Temple in a game that was eventually canceled due to bad weather.

She finished with 10 strikeouts in five innings while allowing one hit. But Plourde had to do a lot of waiting before reaching another milestone in her sophomore year.

The game started an hour and a half late and then delayed 33 minutes just before the fifth inning. At the end of the frame, thunder and lightning came in to end the game.

However, the weather didn’t prevent the Minutewomen from getting runs early. The Maroon and White totaled four runs in the first inning starting with a leadoff solo home run.

Carta drove in the second run with a single to left field following a sacrifice bunt and walk that put pinch-runner Christine Della Vecchia in scoring position. At the end of the inning, the Minutewomen scored two runs on an error by the third baseman on a 1-2 count.

The fifth run came in the second inning, which started off with a single by shortstop Whitney Wiliams. Pitcher Lauren Spoo then walked Normandin to put runners on first and second with no outs.

After senior Michelle Libby reached on a fielder’s choice, Reeves singled up the middle, and scored Normandin. The senior currently leads the team (.382) in batting average.

The first inning of Game 1 was also a high-scoring inning for UMass.

The Minutewomen scored five runs with home runs by Libby and Carta. Libby homered with a runner on and a full count to give them a 2-0 lead.

Reeves doubled on the next pitch, which set up a single from Bettencourt to score the first baseman. Right after Reeves’s RBI, Carta homered to put UMass up 5-0.

In some ways, Sortino believes the first inning caused the defensive problems that came in the second inning.

Plourde allowed a double and two walks. One of them reached on a hit by pitch.

“We got a little spacy on defense,” Sortino said. “I thought we kind of lost our focus a little bit and allowed them to take a game that was going to be a blowout and crawl back into it. I just felt like we stayed in and out. I thought we made some mental mistakes defensively.”

However, Temple never scored in the second inning, or the rest of the game, while the Minutewomen tacked on another four runs in the third inning.

Sortino and Co., will begin the A-10 tournament as the No. 1 overall seed and receive a First Round bye. The Minutewomen will play the winner of SJU and Saint Louis on Thursday.

Adam Miller can be reached at amiller@dailycollegian.com.