UMass women’s basketball rolls over Fisher College 121-38 in a record setting affair -

Hailey Leidel catches fire, breaks program record for 3-pointer’s in 121-38 victory over Fisher College -

Hockey Notebook: Jake Gaudet beginning to find his rhythm with UMass hockey -

Pipkins’ scoring outburst leads UMass past Providence -

Second half run leads UMass men’s basketball over Providence -

Students vote ‘yes’ for Student Union renovations -

Writer and Black Lives Matter activist Shaun King speaks at Amherst College -

UMass has best defensive performance of year against Holy Cross -

Hampshire College student built a house from scratch for refugees -

Smith College’s Jandon Center reaches out to University of Puerto Rico professors -

Makar, Ferraro pegged to Team Canada’s World Junior Championship selection camp roster -

UMass women’s basketball returns to Mullins after successful Texas road trip -

UMass women’s basketball hopes to keep turning defense into offense -

The GOP tax bill is detrimental to college students -

Does hate have a home at UMass? -

Can students protest on campus? -

‘Cuba and the Cameraman’ is an unprecedented look at Cuba over 50 years through some of its ordinarily special denizens -

‘Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri’ is one of 2017’s best pictures -

UMass men’s basketball comes away with 64-50 win over Holy Cross -

UMass falls in NCAA Play-In Game

The Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team came close, but ultimately fell a few goals short of competing for a national championship this season.

UMass suffered a loss at the hands of Stanford in the NCAA Play-In Game on Saturday afternoon at Cagan Stadium. Offense was on display as both teams found success on the attack, but the Minutewomen came out on the short end, falling 15-12.

UMass ends its season with a 10-10 overall record, while No. 15 Stanford improves to 15-5 overall and advances to meet James Madison in the opening round of the 2010 NCAA Tournament.

Senior Merritt Cosgrove put the Minutewomen on the board first, scoring a goal just one minute, 17 seconds into the contest. The Cardinal, however, responded with a pair of goals over the next five minutes. Stephanie Hopkins and Ali Houlis scored back-to-back free-position goals to reclaim the lead before Houlis scored again to put UMass up 4-2.

Both teams traded goals as Jesse O’Donnell scored with 10:33 remaining in the half to make it 6-6. The goal extended O’Donnell’s scoring streak to 21 consecutive games.

From there, Stanford closed out the period strong, taking a 11-8 lead into halftime with scoring coming from Claire Hubbard, Lauren Schmidt, and Sarah Flynn.

“Going into halftime, having them score 11 goals in a half is something we’re not accustomed to,” UMass coach Alexis Venechanos said to UMass Athletics after the game. “I thought we did a good job at halftime making adjustments, and I thought that second half was even.”

The Cardinal increased their lead to begin the second period, scoring three of the first four goals. Haley Smith and Jackie Lyons brought UMass back within three on consecutive goals to make it 14-11. Lyons scored again with 7:27 remaining in the game to make it 15-12, marking the final goal of the game and the season for the Minutewomen.

Down the stretch, UMass failed to amass a comeback despite several chances. Stanford controlled the possession and ran out the clock in the final moments to claim the victory.

In cage, Katie Florence made 11 saves, including eight in the first half, in a losing effort for the Minutewomen. Annie Read secured the win for the Cardinal, making six saves in the contest.

Stanford held a 35-to-23 shot advantage, including 25-to-12 in the first half. UMass committed 20 turnovers while forcing the Cardinal into only 11. The game was physical with 57 combined fouls whistled, including 35 on Stanford.

“You have to adjust to the style of play of the opponent you’re playing against,” Venechanos said. “I felt that some of the turnovers we had, ironically, were from mental lapses rather than physical.”

Cosgrove and Lyons each scored three goals to lead the UMass attack, while Flynn led all scorers with five goals for Stanford. Lyons’ first goal of the game gave her 100 for her career and Cosgrove finished as the all-time games started leader making her 74th career start.

Despite the season-ending loss, Venechanos recognized that her team played hard right until the very end.

“I’m very proud of this team,” Venechanos said. “The whole year, and even during this game we had some adversity. I thought we fought and we had different people step up, but we just ran out of time at the end of the game.”

Jay Asser can be reached at jasser@student.umass.edu.