Work already underway for SGA speaker Sïonan Barrett -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass in for a challenge against Penn State and quarterback Christian Hackenberg -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Nostalgia and angst abound in ‘Palo Alto’ -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Want student power? End the SGA -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass football kicking situation still undecided, looking forward to opportunity to play at Beaver Stadium -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Lorenzo Woodley finds opportunity after getting lost in the shuffle -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Millennials’ votes can make a difference in all elections -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass faculty member Bonnie Strickland recognized for work in psychology -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass women’s soccer suffers major set back with injury to co-captain Jackie Bruno -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass men’s soccer returns home looking for season’s first win -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass professor Elizabeth Chilton to speak in Madrid and Paris about importance of heritage studies -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass club rugby hopes to continue momentum despite opening loss -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Bizarre foods eaten worldwide -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

US should spend more on space -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Walking through a week of practice with UMass field hockey -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass receives $37.5 million for environmental and sustainability initiatives -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Irish coffee recipe -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

To fight ISIS, US must understand them, not chalk up actions to pure evil -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass tennis is reloading, not rebuilding in 2014 -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Fast food workers need more than $7.25 to sustain basic living -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Wilson breaks record, boosts Minutewomen in New England Championships

After two days of competition, the Massachusetts track and field teams wrapped up the New England Championships in successful fashion.

The event began with a fast start from the Minutewomen while their male counterparts struggled to gain a foothold on the competition.

Rachelle Bourque led the Minutewomen with a solid performance for the second straight week. She earned a New England Championship in the javelin throw (135 feet). Last week, Bourque set the UMass record in the same event.

Lisa Wilson broke another record in the hammer throw. She took fourth place with her toss of 185 feet, one inch. Her throw beat her previous record from the New Hampshire pre-conference meet by nine feet.

Adding to the success on the first day was freshman Nicole Pompei in the pole vault, Katherine Finnegan in the long jump and Ida Okkonen also in the long jump.

The Minutemen did not share such early success. They saw one athlete finish in the top five, and three finish in the top 10.

Jason Ayr finished in second place in the 10,000-meter run for UMass. His time of 31 minutes, three seconds was also good enough to qualify him for the IC4A championship next week.

More of the same followed on day two of the event, as the Minutewomen finished in third place overall and the Minutemen placed ninth in a field of 39 teams.

Wilson again posted solid marks, this time in the shot put event. She took second in the discus throw as well, tossing it 152 feet.

Also coming onto the scene was freshman Emma Riedel, taking fourth place in the 100-meter dash. She crossed the finish line in 12.57 seconds. Fellow freshman Michelle Jenssen also placed seventh in the 400-meter dash.

Failing to impress on the first day, the Minutemen righted the ship on day two of the NECs.

The 4×800-meter relay team of Ryan DiOrio, Joe Doyle, Scott VanderMolen and Dan Barry took first place and was named best in New England. The squad combined for a time of seven minutes, 34 seconds, which was also good enough to qualify for next weekend’s IC4A championship.

Sonny Gamble set a personal best in the 3,000-meter steeplechase event, crossing the finish line in nine minutes, 17 seconds. Gamble was the second-highest scorer in the meet for UMass.

The impressive showings bode well for UMass as it heads into the final meet of the season next week.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Wilson breaks record, boosts Minutewomen in New England Championships”
  1. Mary B says:

The winning men’s relay team was the 4×800 relay, not 4×400 relay. Please correct this.