UMass football can’t overcome four third quarter Mississippi State touchdowns, fall 47-35 Saturday -

UMass football’s fourth quarter comeback attempt falls short against Mississippi State Saturday -

Cyr: Despite improvement, UMass football still can’t capture first marquee FBS win -

MassPIRG kicks off for the fall semester -

UMass Resistance Studies Initiative hosts activist and author George Lakey -

UMass field hockey readies for tough tests against Stanford, Boston College -

Calling the shots: everything you need to know about the flu vaccine -

UMass assistant Professor speaks about oppression of American Indians -

Astronomy department head hosting sundial and sky-watching event -

UMass football looks to pull off upset against Mississippi State Saturday -

Cyr: Comis? Ford? Here’s how I would handle the UMass quarterback situation this weekend against Mississippi State -

An unofficial presidential debate drinking game for the unruly masses -

Stop sweating the small stuff -

In defense of being uncomfortable -

Please go to sleep -

VIDEO – ‘Life in the Dollhouse: Wes Anderson and the Dollhouse Aesthetic’ -

Student struck by car near UMass’ Mullins Center -

President Anthony Vitale and Vice President Nick Rampone anticipate productive year at SGA -

Symposium hosts discussion on safety for journalism students -

Andrew Ford, Ross Comis still battling for UMass football’s starting QB position -

Wilson breaks record, boosts Minutewomen in New England Championships

After two days of competition, the Massachusetts track and field teams wrapped up the New England Championships in successful fashion.

The event began with a fast start from the Minutewomen while their male counterparts struggled to gain a foothold on the competition.

Rachelle Bourque led the Minutewomen with a solid performance for the second straight week. She earned a New England Championship in the javelin throw (135 feet). Last week, Bourque set the UMass record in the same event.

Lisa Wilson broke another record in the hammer throw. She took fourth place with her toss of 185 feet, one inch. Her throw beat her previous record from the New Hampshire pre-conference meet by nine feet.

Adding to the success on the first day was freshman Nicole Pompei in the pole vault, Katherine Finnegan in the long jump and Ida Okkonen also in the long jump.

The Minutemen did not share such early success. They saw one athlete finish in the top five, and three finish in the top 10.

Jason Ayr finished in second place in the 10,000-meter run for UMass. His time of 31 minutes, three seconds was also good enough to qualify him for the IC4A championship next week.

More of the same followed on day two of the event, as the Minutewomen finished in third place overall and the Minutemen placed ninth in a field of 39 teams.

Wilson again posted solid marks, this time in the shot put event. She took second in the discus throw as well, tossing it 152 feet.

Also coming onto the scene was freshman Emma Riedel, taking fourth place in the 100-meter dash. She crossed the finish line in 12.57 seconds. Fellow freshman Michelle Jenssen also placed seventh in the 400-meter dash.

Failing to impress on the first day, the Minutemen righted the ship on day two of the NECs.

The 4×800-meter relay team of Ryan DiOrio, Joe Doyle, Scott VanderMolen and Dan Barry took first place and was named best in New England. The squad combined for a time of seven minutes, 34 seconds, which was also good enough to qualify for next weekend’s IC4A championship.

Sonny Gamble set a personal best in the 3,000-meter steeplechase event, crossing the finish line in nine minutes, 17 seconds. Gamble was the second-highest scorer in the meet for UMass.

The impressive showings bode well for UMass as it heads into the final meet of the season next week.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Wilson breaks record, boosts Minutewomen in New England Championships”
  1. Mary B says:

The winning men’s relay team was the 4×800 relay, not 4×400 relay. Please correct this.