UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Calipari, Walberg best coaching duo to utilize Rose

Kentucky coach John Calipari takes questions at a press conference. He is currently a candidate for the head coaching job of the Chicago Bulls. (MCT)

John Calipari’s name is in the news again.

No, there is no controversy with John Wall, or any of the other Kentucky men’s basketball players for that matter. But he might be following his star point guard to the National Basketball Association to become the coach of the Chicago Bulls.

The Bulls recently fired Vinny Del Negro from his two-year stint with the Bulls after the Chicago media reported that he butted heads with Vice President of Basketball Operations John Paxson.

The guy being talked about as a possibility to replace Del Negro is the former coach for Massachusetts, who put the Minutemen in the Final Four during the 1996 season.

Calipari’s name is intriguing for many reasons. First, he has experience coaching Derrick Rose at Memphis.

Rose helped the Tigers reach the championship game against Kansas, and was the indisputable best player in college basketball during the 2008 season. If he’s not Rose’s top choice to replace Del Negro, he’s certainly one of them.

Then there is the 2010 free agent class. Calipari is one of the best recruiters, period, and he is a big name that almost anyone would be excited to play for.

In addition, he already has connections with this year’s top free agents. He is close friends with LeBron James and has the same agent as Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh.

Publicly, Calipari hasn’t said anything other than the fact that he wants to stay at Kentucky, but that doesn’t mean anything. Coaches go back on their word all the time. UMass is living proof of that when Travis Ford agreed to a contract extension with the Minutemen, then bolted for Oklahoma State soon after.

It’s why Calipari’s own employer doesn’t even believe him.

Kentucky offered Calipari an extension with more money the minute rumors started about his possible departure.

It’s true that college coaches usually fail in the NBA. Calipari left UMass following the 1996 season, which ended as a complete flop when he coached the New Jersey Nets. But that situation was much worse than what the Bulls have right now.

Chicago also tried the college coach experiment before when it hired Tim Floyd out of Iowa State as Phil Jackson’s successor.

It ended terribly, but that was just bad timing as the Bulls dismantled their championship team faster than former general manager Jerry Krause could say “organizations win championships.”

However, things are different with Calipari. He has much more respect in the NBA than he did the first time around, and as long as Chicago gets one of the top free agents available, it will improve no matter who is coaching.

If Calipari becomes the next Bulls coach, who he takes with him becomes just as intriguing. Rod Strickland, who is currently an assistant for the Wildcats, will likely get some sort of position, as he also worked with Calipari at Memphis.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if his next option is currently at UMass. Vance Walberg, the current assistant coach for the Minutemen, invented the dribble-drive motion offense, which Calipari popularized.

There are lots of reasons to believe the chances of Walberg following Calipari are next to nothing, but it would make plenty of sense if it did happen.

Although Calipari has never hired Walberg at Memphis or Kentucky, NBA teams hire specialists all the time.

Boston Celtics assistant coach Tom Thibodeau (also a candidate for the Bulls’ coaching job), was an assistant coach at Salem State and Harvard before he received an assistant coaching job with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

He is now one of the league’s top assistants with an expertise in defense, and will probably get a head coaching job sometime this summer.

Although Walberg is over 50 years old, he didn’t start coaching in college at any level until 2002. His credentials are ideal for UMass as he is there to help coach Derek Kellogg teach the offense, but not necessarily for an NBA job.

However, the offense alone is popular enough for him to at least deserve a shot at being on an NBA bench. Walberg understands that basketball is more about executing one-on-one than set plays, and that’s exactly what the dribble-drive is about.

The offense hasn’t worked so far with the Minutemen in Walberg’s first two years, but that has more to do with them being a young team that has seen its makeup change over the past two years.

With the Bulls, he would be working with a player who knows the offense in Rose and a young team that has experience playing with each other for a while and will only get better.

The last time Chicago had a young player with as much talent as Rose was Michael Jordan. The “Jordan Era” didn’t begin until the Bulls replaced Doug Collins with Phil Jackson.

His assistant, Tex Winter, created the Triangle Offense and helped Jackson teach it to an up and coming squad. If Calipari ends up in Chicago, Walberg could play the exact same role in helping Rose become the next icon in the Windy City under an offense that he created.

Adam Miller is a Collegian columnist. He can be reached at amiller@dailycollegian.com.

3 Responses to “Calipari, Walberg best coaching duo to utilize Rose”
  1. Brian says:

Give it up. Calipari isnt comiing to the Bulls. Media sucks these days

2. Mac says:

I know that’s right Brian. He didn’t leave Memphis either !!

3. Did anyone see the riots anfter the game 7 this week? What kind of fans celebrate by destroying their own city? LA fans are a bunch of animals. According to The Associated Press, thirty eight people were arrested for “public intoxication, vandalism or inciting a riot.” Probably doesn’t help to have criminals on the team. Rob Artest seems to have escaped that dog abuse charge easily. In any case, the pro basketball is starting to seem kinda fixed. Lakers always seem to get more than their share. No wonder Lebron is irritated. Wonder if it’s because of Jack Nicholson.

You must be logged in to post a comment.