UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Calipari, Walberg best coaching duo to utilize Rose

Kentucky coach John Calipari takes questions at a press conference. He is currently a candidate for the head coaching job of the Chicago Bulls. (MCT)

John Calipari’s name is in the news again.

No, there is no controversy with John Wall, or any of the other Kentucky men’s basketball players for that matter. But he might be following his star point guard to the National Basketball Association to become the coach of the Chicago Bulls.

The Bulls recently fired Vinny Del Negro from his two-year stint with the Bulls after the Chicago media reported that he butted heads with Vice President of Basketball Operations John Paxson.

The guy being talked about as a possibility to replace Del Negro is the former coach for Massachusetts, who put the Minutemen in the Final Four during the 1996 season.

Calipari’s name is intriguing for many reasons. First, he has experience coaching Derrick Rose at Memphis.

Rose helped the Tigers reach the championship game against Kansas, and was the indisputable best player in college basketball during the 2008 season. If he’s not Rose’s top choice to replace Del Negro, he’s certainly one of them.

Then there is the 2010 free agent class. Calipari is one of the best recruiters, period, and he is a big name that almost anyone would be excited to play for.

In addition, he already has connections with this year’s top free agents. He is close friends with LeBron James and has the same agent as Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh.

Publicly, Calipari hasn’t said anything other than the fact that he wants to stay at Kentucky, but that doesn’t mean anything. Coaches go back on their word all the time. UMass is living proof of that when Travis Ford agreed to a contract extension with the Minutemen, then bolted for Oklahoma State soon after.

It’s why Calipari’s own employer doesn’t even believe him.

Kentucky offered Calipari an extension with more money the minute rumors started about his possible departure.

It’s true that college coaches usually fail in the NBA. Calipari left UMass following the 1996 season, which ended as a complete flop when he coached the New Jersey Nets. But that situation was much worse than what the Bulls have right now.

Chicago also tried the college coach experiment before when it hired Tim Floyd out of Iowa State as Phil Jackson’s successor.

It ended terribly, but that was just bad timing as the Bulls dismantled their championship team faster than former general manager Jerry Krause could say “organizations win championships.”

However, things are different with Calipari. He has much more respect in the NBA than he did the first time around, and as long as Chicago gets one of the top free agents available, it will improve no matter who is coaching.

If Calipari becomes the next Bulls coach, who he takes with him becomes just as intriguing. Rod Strickland, who is currently an assistant for the Wildcats, will likely get some sort of position, as he also worked with Calipari at Memphis.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if his next option is currently at UMass. Vance Walberg, the current assistant coach for the Minutemen, invented the dribble-drive motion offense, which Calipari popularized.

There are lots of reasons to believe the chances of Walberg following Calipari are next to nothing, but it would make plenty of sense if it did happen.

Although Calipari has never hired Walberg at Memphis or Kentucky, NBA teams hire specialists all the time.

Boston Celtics assistant coach Tom Thibodeau (also a candidate for the Bulls’ coaching job), was an assistant coach at Salem State and Harvard before he received an assistant coaching job with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

He is now one of the league’s top assistants with an expertise in defense, and will probably get a head coaching job sometime this summer.

Although Walberg is over 50 years old, he didn’t start coaching in college at any level until 2002. His credentials are ideal for UMass as he is there to help coach Derek Kellogg teach the offense, but not necessarily for an NBA job.

However, the offense alone is popular enough for him to at least deserve a shot at being on an NBA bench. Walberg understands that basketball is more about executing one-on-one than set plays, and that’s exactly what the dribble-drive is about.

The offense hasn’t worked so far with the Minutemen in Walberg’s first two years, but that has more to do with them being a young team that has seen its makeup change over the past two years.

With the Bulls, he would be working with a player who knows the offense in Rose and a young team that has experience playing with each other for a while and will only get better.

The last time Chicago had a young player with as much talent as Rose was Michael Jordan. The “Jordan Era” didn’t begin until the Bulls replaced Doug Collins with Phil Jackson.

His assistant, Tex Winter, created the Triangle Offense and helped Jackson teach it to an up and coming squad. If Calipari ends up in Chicago, Walberg could play the exact same role in helping Rose become the next icon in the Windy City under an offense that he created.

Adam Miller is a Collegian columnist. He can be reached at amiller@dailycollegian.com.

3 Responses to “Calipari, Walberg best coaching duo to utilize Rose”
  1. Brian says:

Give it up. Calipari isnt comiing to the Bulls. Media sucks these days

2. Mac says:

I know that’s right Brian. He didn’t leave Memphis either !!

3. Did anyone see the riots anfter the game 7 this week? What kind of fans celebrate by destroying their own city? LA fans are a bunch of animals. According to The Associated Press, thirty eight people were arrested for “public intoxication, vandalism or inciting a riot.” Probably doesn’t help to have criminals on the team. Rob Artest seems to have escaped that dog abuse charge easily. In any case, the pro basketball is starting to seem kinda fixed. Lakers always seem to get more than their share. No wonder Lebron is irritated. Wonder if it’s because of Jack Nicholson.