Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Minutewomen advance with win over St. Joe's

Senior Michelle Libby makes a throw during a game earlier this year. The Minutewomen beat Saint Joseph's and will play Fordham on Friday. (Jeff Bernstein/Collegian)

The first postseason game of the year is nothing new for Massachusetts softball coach Elaine Sortino. But for a team as young as the Minutewomen, she knew the first game was going to cause some nervousness.

Regardless, sophomore Sara Plourde kept Saint Joseph’s bats cool with 16 strikeouts in a seven-inning shutout while senior Sarah Reeves, who is no stranger to the Atlantic 10 tournament, hit two home runs in a 3-0 victory over the Hawks (28-17).

Her first came in the third inning on the first pitch. The ball went into left field and gave UMass a 2-0 lead.

She homered again in the sixth inning again to left field, but closer to the foul pole on a 1-2 count. Reeves finished the game with 10 home runs on the season.

“I was just trying to stay aggressive at the plate,” Reeves said. “That’s what we’ve been doing all season, every one of us throughout the lineup, and it paid off today.”

Sortino said she was glad that one of her team leaders could step up and show her leadership offensively. The last time Reeves homered twice was in the Maroon and White’s 7-5 victory over Boston University on April 13.

“We call her chief because she’s in charge of everything and she kind of barks the orders all-around and everyone listens to her so it’s nice to have her lead the way,” Sortino said.

While Sortino believed the extra run support helped, she believes the play that gave the Minutewomen (39-7-1), the edge the rest of the game came in the second inning.

Freshman Christine Della Vecchia came in as a pinch-runner following a walk to senior Jessica Serio setting up second baseman Kyllie Magill with a runner on first base.

Magill hit a double to right center to advance Della Vecchia, who came in late on an SJU fielder trying to make a play at home, but the freshman slid around the back of the plate and reached base with her hands, avoiding contact from catcher Brooke Darreff.

“It was a great slide,” Sortino said. “That’s one of her fortes. I mean she’s a really fast base-runner and I think over the years, she’s really going to be tearing it up on the bases. I think she’s going to be able to steal a lot.”

Hawks pitcher Taryn Ashway finished the game giving up six hits and three strikeouts in the loss.

UMass plays again on Friday against Fordham at noon. The winner will automatically qualify for the Atlantic 10 Championship while the loser faces either Charlotte or St. Joe’s.

The Minutewomen faced the Rams in a double-header on April 3 and won both games. However, UMass should not expect them to go away quietly, especially with one of the nation’s top pitchers in Jen Mineau. The sophomore has a 30-5 record with a 0.69 earned run average and 436 strikeouts.

She recently became a Top 10 Finalist for the USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year award and rivals Plourde as one of the top pitchers in the nation.

In Fordham’s first game against Charlotte, Mineau threw a no-hitter with 12 strikeouts in defeating the 49ers, 1-0. The last time the Rams lost was their meeting with the Minutewomen in the Bronx.

Regardless of what happens, the two teams could meet again in the Championship if the losing team wins its next game.

Adam Miller can be reached at amiller@dailycollegian.com.

You must be logged in to post a comment.