REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day three: Ex-quarterbacks A.J. Doyle, Andrew Verboys continue transitions to new positions -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day two: Defensive secondary hopes experience, added depth brings greater consistency -

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

UMass football kicks off day one of fall camp Monday -

Monday, August 17, 2015

Cyr: The time to start talking football is back again -

Monday, August 17, 2015

UMass football adds series with USF, Maine to future schedules -

Thursday, August 13, 2015

UMass competes in championship weekend

The Massachusetts track and field teams were in action this past weekend as the women competed in the Eastern College Athletic Association (ECAC) Championships while the men made a stand in the Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletes of America (IC4A) Championships. The women finished 43rd of 51 teams with four points, while the men ended the weekend in 31st place with 11 points.

For the Minutemen, a long-distance trio of seniors posted solid performances in the 10,000 meter run. Nicolai Naranjo led the squad with a third place finish and UMass season best time of 30:39:44.

Jonathan Pierce and Jason Ayr finished sixth and seventh respectively with times of 30:49:85 and 30:51:96. Another solid day one finish was distance runner Andrew McCann who took 22nd place in the 5,000 meter run with a time of 14:39:83.

The Minutewomen looked to Lisa Wilson to begin the championship weekend on the right foot. Wilson delivered with an eighth place discus throw of 147-07. Shiyi Zan finished 17th overall in the 10,000 meter event with a time of 38:08:42 and sophomore Karen Roa placed 20th overall in the 3,000 meter steeplechase with a mark of 10:46:19, improving on her own school record in the event.

On the second day of competition the men received strong finishes from Tyler Cotto, Daniel Wu and Sean Busch. Cotto finished 21st in the 110 meter hurdle preliminaries with a time of 14:82 while Wu jumped for a distance of 21-11.50 and 29th place overall in the long jump.

Wilson reined more dominance on the second day of competition with a mark of 171-03 in the hammer throw and an 11th place finish. Rachelle Bourque placed 10th in the javelin throw with a distance of 127-04.

Also the women’s 4×800 meter squad took 12th overall with a relay time of 9:04:30, the second-fastest mark in UMass school history. Nicole Pompei scored points for the Minutewomen with a sixth place finish in the pole vault. Pompei improved on her season best as well as her third-best mark in UMass school history.

The weekend concluded on Sunday with Wilson finishing 14th overall in the shot put throwing for a distance of 44-08.00 while Nalis Mbianda took 20th overall as a freshman with a distance of 42-00.50.

Michael Counos can be reached at mcounos@student.umass.edu.