Video monitoring equipment installed throughout Amherst in preparation for ‘Blarney’ -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Professor Neil Forbes receives $1.56 million grant to develop cancer-killing Salmonella -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

UMass, Trey Davis ready for Richmond and Kendall Anthony -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Milan Fashion Week mixes the old with the new -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Smartphone surge following historic net neutrality decision shows relationship between technology and consumers -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Tournament time: UMass women’s basketball faces St. Bonaventure in A-10 opener -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Bread & Butter brings local produce to Amherst’s breakfast scene -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

‘Blarney’ guest policy is too harsh and was announced too late -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Esho and Lalanne ready for one final show at Mullins Center -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: March 3, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Meet the 2015 SGA spring election candidates -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Years of dedication lead to breakout senior campaign for Zack LaRue -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Five simple steps to get your college diet on track -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Students head to State House, push for more public higher education funding -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Gabriel Schmitt hopes to improve UMass health services as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Barrett/Barbosa ‘ready on day one’ -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

An outsider to the SGA, student trustee candidate Nicholas Vigneau says he brings a fresh perspective to the position -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kristi Sefanoni pleased with UMass softball’s start to season -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Outsider candidates Rocco Giordano and Dhananjay (Danny) Mirlay Srinivas intent on shoring up student-administration relationship, getting more voices heard -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass tennis wins its first conference match in weekend split -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass competes in championship weekend

The Massachusetts track and field teams were in action this past weekend as the women competed in the Eastern College Athletic Association (ECAC) Championships while the men made a stand in the Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletes of America (IC4A) Championships. The women finished 43rd of 51 teams with four points, while the men ended the weekend in 31st place with 11 points.

For the Minutemen, a long-distance trio of seniors posted solid performances in the 10,000 meter run. Nicolai Naranjo led the squad with a third place finish and UMass season best time of 30:39:44.

Jonathan Pierce and Jason Ayr finished sixth and seventh respectively with times of 30:49:85 and 30:51:96. Another solid day one finish was distance runner Andrew McCann who took 22nd place in the 5,000 meter run with a time of 14:39:83.

The Minutewomen looked to Lisa Wilson to begin the championship weekend on the right foot. Wilson delivered with an eighth place discus throw of 147-07. Shiyi Zan finished 17th overall in the 10,000 meter event with a time of 38:08:42 and sophomore Karen Roa placed 20th overall in the 3,000 meter steeplechase with a mark of 10:46:19, improving on her own school record in the event.

On the second day of competition the men received strong finishes from Tyler Cotto, Daniel Wu and Sean Busch. Cotto finished 21st in the 110 meter hurdle preliminaries with a time of 14:82 while Wu jumped for a distance of 21-11.50 and 29th place overall in the long jump.

Wilson reined more dominance on the second day of competition with a mark of 171-03 in the hammer throw and an 11th place finish. Rachelle Bourque placed 10th in the javelin throw with a distance of 127-04.

Also the women’s 4×800 meter squad took 12th overall with a relay time of 9:04:30, the second-fastest mark in UMass school history. Nicole Pompei scored points for the Minutewomen with a sixth place finish in the pole vault. Pompei improved on her season best as well as her third-best mark in UMass school history.

The weekend concluded on Sunday with Wilson finishing 14th overall in the shot put throwing for a distance of 44-08.00 while Nalis Mbianda took 20th overall as a freshman with a distance of 42-00.50.

Michael Counos can be reached at mcounos@student.umass.edu.