UMass crime alerts reveal reports of lewd acts -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass women’s soccer hopes added depth brings more consistency in 2014 -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Midfield unit looks to lead UM in 2010

Matthew Harrison/Collegian

After going 7-7-3 last season for its worst mark since 2005, the  Massachusetts men’s soccer team knows that most important aspect of this season will be the play of its midfield.

The Minutemen aren’t coming off the best season of UMass coach Sam Koch’s tenure, but last season, Koch saw good performances out of the midfield – something he hopes will continue as he heads into his 20th season at the helm with the Minutemen.

Leading that strong midfield was Ben Arikian, who will be returning as a senior in 2010. Arikian sat second behind Mark DeSantis last season in goals scored, registering three goals and four assists with a team-high 36 shots on goal.

“He’s our leader; he’s very important,” Koch said. “We know Ben is going to do the job. The guys around him have to step their games up in order to make Ben more effective by being in better positions, by receiving balls on the ends of passes and crosses, by [creating] a dangerous situation and then getting the ball back to Ben to score goals.”

Still, Koch believes there’s room for his star midfielder, who is expected to be a leading scorer in 2010, to improve.

“Ben’s ability to improve will depend on the players around him and their improvement,” Koch said. “They all work off of each other. Ben makes other players better and other players make Ben better.”

Much of the Arikian’s success will depend on fellow senior Stuart Amick, who has started alongside Arikian since partway through 2007, when both were sophomores. Amick scored a goal and an assist last year, while using his speed and ability to get into scoring position to create chances for the Minutemen.

The third pillar of the UMass midfield will be junior Bryant Craft, whose consistency as a starter dates back to his freshman campaign in 2008, when he tallied a goal and an assist. Last year, Craft replicated those statistics, something both he and Koch would like to improve upon this year.

“Bryant Craft on the flank is dangerous going forward,” Koch said. “He’s worked hard all summer from what he’s told us, and he can have a huge impact on scoring goals for us. We need him to help us score goals. We’ve got players that can do that, and we’ll show up when they show up.”

With Arikian, Amick and Craft presumably starting in the midfield this season, the competition for the remaining starters has already begun. One candidate for the remaining starting job is junior Chris Stoker, who transferred from Providence this year.

“Stoker is a veteran player who will be another edition to the midfield, and he can help us in that area,” Koch said.

It’s obvious that the midfield will be the foundation for the  Minutemen this year, not only because of its talented midfielders, but also because of the midfield-heavy formations Koch plans to employ throughout the 2010 campaign.

“[We will use] a traditional 4-4-2,” Koch said. “We will also play a 4-5-1 and a 3-5-2. However, the way the game goes will determine what our formation is. Midfield will be in the attack.”

Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu.