UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Minutewomen win twice over weekend

The Massachusetts women’s soccer team put on a stunning offensive show on the road against Fairfield that ended with a 4-0 victory on Sunday.

The Stags (3-3-0) found themselves on the wrong end of a game that saw junior Deanna Colarossi score twice as sophomore Emily Cota secured her second shutout of the season and the third of her career.

The Minutewomen (3-2-0) scored twice in the first half while out-shooting Fairfield, 14-3.

Senior Ashley Hamel scored the first goal of the game and her second of the season at the 31 minute, 57 second mark off of a pass from junior Meghan Collins. Colarossi followed up with a tally of her own less than 10 minutes later.

In the second half, freshman Blair Ferry scored her first-ever collegiate goal in the 59th minute of play off a shot by senior co-captain Therese Smith. The midfielder then set up the fourth goal of the game with a long pass to Colarossi, who connected with the back of the net on the 87th minute of play. That goal would be the second on the day for Colarossi, bringing her season total to three.

Cota provided a strong performance in net for the second straight game, turning away seven Fairfield shots for the Minutewomen’s second shutout of the year.

When the final whistle blew, UMass finished with a 20-11 shot advantage. The Minutewomen have now out-shot their opponents 89-60 this season.

On Friday, it pulled off a come-from-behind 2-1 victory in double overtime against New Hampshire at Rudd field.

Though the UMass offense beat out the Wildcats in shots, 21-10, and corner kicks, 6-1, the first tally didn’t come until the 82nd minute of the contest, in which UNH attacker Jordyn Krall put a low shot past goalkeeper Emily Cota.

Junior Meghan Collins then struck back for UMass in the 88th minute, tying the game with a shot that came amid a mad scramble in front of the opposing net. From there, the score would sit at one apiece until well into the second overtime period.

The Maroon and White kept applying pressure to the UNH defense, bringing play after play well into the opposing zone and onto Wildcat goalkeeper Erica Correa’s doorstep. The closest chance came at the 63:46 mark, in which senior Ashley Hamel shot a beauty that rolled just wide of crossing the goal line.

Just three minutes later, Hamel sealed the deal with the golden goal that made it past the far post off of a pass from freshman Kayla Austin. The goal was the first tally for Hamel in her UMass career.

Correa put up a solid game in net for UNH despite the loss. She had 10 saves in the losing effort.

David Martin can be reached at dmmartin@student.umass.edu