BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Minutewomen take care of business against American -

Monday, December 8, 2014

UMass women’s basketball handles American, 71-61 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

UMass basketball downed by Florida Gulf Coast 84-75 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Minutewomen win twice over weekend

The Massachusetts women’s soccer team put on a stunning offensive show on the road against Fairfield that ended with a 4-0 victory on Sunday.

The Stags (3-3-0) found themselves on the wrong end of a game that saw junior Deanna Colarossi score twice as sophomore Emily Cota secured her second shutout of the season and the third of her career.

The Minutewomen (3-2-0) scored twice in the first half while out-shooting Fairfield, 14-3.

Senior Ashley Hamel scored the first goal of the game and her second of the season at the 31 minute, 57 second mark off of a pass from junior Meghan Collins. Colarossi followed up with a tally of her own less than 10 minutes later.

In the second half, freshman Blair Ferry scored her first-ever collegiate goal in the 59th minute of play off a shot by senior co-captain Therese Smith. The midfielder then set up the fourth goal of the game with a long pass to Colarossi, who connected with the back of the net on the 87th minute of play. That goal would be the second on the day for Colarossi, bringing her season total to three.

Cota provided a strong performance in net for the second straight game, turning away seven Fairfield shots for the Minutewomen’s second shutout of the year.

When the final whistle blew, UMass finished with a 20-11 shot advantage. The Minutewomen have now out-shot their opponents 89-60 this season.

On Friday, it pulled off a come-from-behind 2-1 victory in double overtime against New Hampshire at Rudd field.

Though the UMass offense beat out the Wildcats in shots, 21-10, and corner kicks, 6-1, the first tally didn’t come until the 82nd minute of the contest, in which UNH attacker Jordyn Krall put a low shot past goalkeeper Emily Cota.

Junior Meghan Collins then struck back for UMass in the 88th minute, tying the game with a shot that came amid a mad scramble in front of the opposing net. From there, the score would sit at one apiece until well into the second overtime period.

The Maroon and White kept applying pressure to the UNH defense, bringing play after play well into the opposing zone and onto Wildcat goalkeeper Erica Correa’s doorstep. The closest chance came at the 63:46 mark, in which senior Ashley Hamel shot a beauty that rolled just wide of crossing the goal line.

Just three minutes later, Hamel sealed the deal with the golden goal that made it past the far post off of a pass from freshman Kayla Austin. The goal was the first tally for Hamel in her UMass career.

Correa put up a solid game in net for UNH despite the loss. She had 10 saves in the losing effort.

David Martin can be reached at dmmartin@student.umass.edu