Beaulieu and Gomez earn weekly honors

Charlotte Athletics
The Atlantic 10 Conference Men’s Soccer Player of the Week and Rookie of the Week awards were announced last Monday by the league office. Forward T.J. Beaulieu of Charlotte and forward Simon Gomez of Duquesne were both rewarded for their hard play this week.

In the first game of the year, Beaulieu assisted the only goal scored for the 49ers in a losing effort to UNC-Greensboro. In the second game, however, Beaulieu scored the game-winning goal against in-state rival Elon in a 1-0 victory at home. The junior ended the first week of the season with one goal on five shots as well as one assist to total three points. After winning its home opener, the team has won 10 of its last 11 home openers since 2000. Charlotte is currently 2-2-0 after a 2-1 overtime loss at Alabama-Birmingham and a 4-0 win against Memphis.

In his first week of playing college soccer, freshman Simon Gomez respectively won the Rookie of the Week honors for his two goals and assist in a 3-1 victory over Robert Morris. The Dukes won their last two games to climb to first place in the standings with a record of 3-1-0. Gomez leads the entire league in points and goals scored with four, respectively.

First hat trick of the year

The first hat trick of the young season was recorded by George Washington’s Seth Rudolph on Saturday against Mount St. Mary’s.

The goals scored by Rudolph were in the 22nd, 49th and 55th minutes, with the last score tying up the contest, 3-3. The Belleville, Ill. native also won the Player of the Week award this past Monday for tallying eight points on four total goals.

Saint Joseph’s off to a slow start

The Hawks began the season with losses in its first four games to drop to last place in conference standings.

Of the four games, two of them were closely-contested in a 3-2 loss to Towson and a 1-0 loss to Duquesne. The only two goals scored by the Hawks this season are from Giacomo Dilisi and Colin Reilly. In order to bounce back from its rough start, SJU will look to improve its number of shots per game (7.5), while limiting its opponents in the same area (18.8).

The Hawks are also averaging less than a goal per game and are allowing an average of nearly three scores. On top of scoring, the Hawks can look to limit the number of mistakes and fouls committed with seven yellow cards recorded already this season.

Chris Noreika can be reached at [email protected].