Minutewomen relying on younger roster this year

UMass Athletics
UMass Athletics
For the Massachusetts women’s soccer team, learning quickly might be its best strategy, as the squad welcomes 10 new players onto the pitch for the upcoming season.

UMass head coach Ed Matz faces the challenge of developing a younger and less experienced team, despite the good news of losing just three starting players to graduation.

Eight members of the starting group will be back for the 2010 season, a lineup which consists of 10 incoming freshmen

While all players are competing for starting spots and playing time, Matz is concerned that the freshmen are not showing consistency yet in the preseason.

“They are playing like normal freshmen would,” Matz said. “Two or three will standout one day, and the next day a different two or three will catch my attention.”

Matz also stated that his team is very versatile and anyone who can contribute to making the team better will be given the chance.

The 2009 Colonial Athletic Association Coach of the Year has known nothing but winning in his past few seasons with his previous teams at Northeastern. With over 20 years of collegiate coaching experience, Matz assembled a brand new staff, including assistant coaches Brendan Faherty, who is a former head coach at New Haven, and Abby Shiffler who was in charge of goalkeepers at Pennsylvania.

Forwards

In 2010, Matz looks to improve upon the team’s offensive production. The forward position is poised as one of the more experienced areas of the Maroon and White with redshirt senior co-captain Sydney Stoll leading the way. Stoll chipped in five goals and one assist in 2009. The other returning starter from last season is Ashley Hamel who distributed a pair of assists in 2009.

UMass averaged less than a goal a game in 2009 and connected on 15-of-192 shot attempts, 81 of which were shots on goal. The Minutewomen averaged about 10 shots per game, just half of which their opponents averaged..

“The key is the offense is going to need to make the most out of scoring opportunities, which is vital to our success,” Matz said.

Sophomore Jenna Goodwin returns with 12 games under her belt and an assist in 2009, along with junior Natalie Muka, who played in four games last year.

Junior Deanna Colarossi returns as well as freshmen additions Blair Ferry and Alexa Zielinski.

Stoll and Goodwin have faced injuries in the preseason but look to be healthy for the start of the regular season.

Midfielders

The deepest part of the lineup for the fall lies in the midfield. Led by senior co-captain Therese Smith, who contributed with five goals and three assists last season, might prove to be the heart and soul of the squad. .

Starters returning to the midfield include sophomore Meredith Fox, who had a goal and an assist in 2009, as well as senior Kelsey Anderson and juniors Meghan Collins and Lauren Yelinek, who handed out two assists last season. The only freshmen addition to the midfield is Jen Houtman.

“I was ecstatic with the way the girls trained in the offseason and that they entered this preseason ready to work and adjust to my way of coaching,” Matz said.

Defense

The most impressive aspect of the 2010 Minutewomen for Matz has been the defense early on.

Led by two seniors Alyssa Viscanti and Anderson, the Minutewomen will pose as a brick wall, challenging their opponents to score.

The defense allowed 169 shots on goal attempts last season and will try to improve upon that to cut down on the opposition scoring, whom averaged nearly two goals a game in 2009.

Other returners include juniors Lindsey DiOrio and Rachel Miranda, sophomore Jess Howe and Marissa Dos Santos.

Matz said that he is looking to fill a spot on the defensive unit, which he expects could come from a freshman. Contenders for the position include Brittany Moore, Jenna Skagerlind, Annie Ward and Lauren Skesavage.

The last bit of defense for the Minutewomen will likely be sophomore goalkeeper Emily Cota. As a freshman, Cota started seven of her 17 games last season, allowing 23 goals and currently boasts 83 saves in net. However, freshman Emersyn Pullan may give her competition as the season progresses.

“I am very impressed with the defense so far,” Matz said. “We had a scrimmage against Saint John’s in which they played well together and are showing a lot of positive potential for the upcoming season ahead of us.”

Michael Counos can be reached at [email protected].