UMass women’s basketball falls to North Dakota 82-52 -

Home-and-home with Quinnipiac up next for UMass hockey -

Carl Pierre’s breakout performance helps UMass men’s basketball over Western Carolina -

Pipkins’ double-double leads UMass men’s basketball over Western Carolina -

Ten delicious, easy shots even a college student can afford

Courtesy Kate Evans

Every Friday – or Tuesday, for some – we put away our books, laptops and morals, and then ask ourselves a simple question: What should I drink tonight?

Fortunately, the burden has been lifted. As college students, our funds are low due to escalating textbook prices. In lieu of this dilemma, a carefully compiled list of 10 deliciously easy to make shots for the everyday college student has been created. Warning: Do not attempt these mind-blowing concoctions all at once for fear of taste bud overload and alcohol poisoning. Please, drink responsibly.

Chocolate Cake

For those of you with a sweet tooth, the combination of only two ingredients – one part vodka and one part hazelnut liqueur – is not only affordable, but will also reward your senses with far fewer calories than the real deal. This dessert shot not only goes down smooth, but it flaunts your newly acquired bartending skills and leaves the crowd begging for more.

Buttery Nipple

Staying on the sweeter side, this shot is as tantalizing as its name suggests. Again with only two simple ingredients – one part butterscotch schnapps and one part Bailey’s Irish Cream – it is quite the conversation starter. Once you throw it back, the conversation steadily improves, because how can you beat a burst of caramel sliding down your throat?

Fireball

Now for those of you who want to spice it up a little, this oral explosion consists of one part rum, one part cinnamon schnapps and a splash of Tabasco sauce. This unique mixture of hotness will require immediate relief in the form of any other shot on this list. Stir it up, shoot it back and let the flames ensue.

Tequila XO

Put the whips and chains aside, but leave out the whipped cream. Calling all tequila lovers for this perfect blend that will take the bark out of the bite. This simple shot of tequila with a dollop of whipped cream on top is a great substitute for the overplayed lime wedge and salt combination.

The Collegiate

This shot is similar to Tech N9ne’s hit song, “Caribou Lou,” but for half the cost and double the taste. This simple shooter of one part Malibu rum and one part pineapple juice represents UMass as a fun and lively refreshment.

Tootsie Roll

A blast from the past,this chocolaty treat was always a childhood fan favorite. Add one part amaretto and one part orange juice to recreate some much wilder days of adolescence. This delectable delight encompasses both the sweet and savory aspects that will leave you asking Mom for more.

Woo Woo

For all you fist pumping Cape Codder junkies, this is the holy grail of tangy goodness. We’ve upped the ante to three ingredients for those of you with deeper pockets to one part vodka, one part peach schnapps, and a splash of cranberry juice. By the end of the night, your voice will be horse from all the “woo woo’s!”

Redheaded Sl*t

Cue all the dads saying, “I’ve had a few of those back in my day, if you know what I mean.” This popular shot has made a name for itself not only because of its name but also because of its minimal ingredients. With one part Jaegermeister and one part peach schnapps, the Redheaded S**t is possibly better than the real thing.

Deep Throat

For all you badass drinkers that are willing to champ it, this burly beverage of one part whiskey and a dash of root beer schnapps will have you growing a little extra hair on your chest. Don’t be afraid to do as the name says and throw it down the hatch.

Alabama Slamma’

Break out your Southern roots, cowboy boots and lasso for a slammin’ good time. Open your liquor stash and dust off one part Southern Comfort, one part gin, and one part amaretto, because this tart shot will beat out the Waffle House any day.

Now that you have been informed, it’s time to pin this list onto your micro-fridges and corkboards and play bartender. The initial question has been answered and it’s time to take matters into your own hands to decide which shot best suits you.

Kate Evans can be reached at kevans@student.umass.edu. Leslie Rosenfield can be reached at lrosenfi@student.umass.edu.

3 Responses to “Ten delicious, easy shots even a college student can afford”
  1. marissa macgauley says:

Best article thus far in the collegian. Funny and full of great recipes! Love it

2. twistnshout says:

Almost all of these shots are horrible misrepresentations of real drinks. They leave out at least one ingredient, which has a pretty big impact on the flavor. I know 3$ for juice or 8$ for liquor might seem like a lot to a college student, but when it represents a third of a shot, it’s probably important.

3. Morgan says:

The tootsie roll does not taste like a tootsie roll! It tastes like terrys chocolate orange! However, my friends and I put chocolate liquor to the amaretto and THAT tastes like a tootsie roll.