Colonials Triumph in Blue Hen Classic

Freshman Alex Neal’s goal in the 87th minute sealed a 2-1 victory for the George Washington women’s soccer team over Delaware on Sunday afternoon in the Blue Hen Classic. The Colonials finished the week on a three game-win streak.

The Blue Hens (4-4) tallied the first goal of the match in the first half when Melissa Pennington scored off a pass from Andrea Luttio in the 34th minute.

Adriana Moya scored her second goal of the season in the 57th minute to put the game at a 1-1 tie. The Colonials (5-3) continued to put pressure on Blue Hen’s goalie Breanna Stemler, taking 11 shots, eight on goal, while holding Delaware to six total shots.

Neal scored off a rebound from a shot taken by Moya that Stemler could not wrap up to win the game for George Washington.

Senior defender Jillian Morgan, as well as freshman Claire Haft joined Moya and Neal on the Blue Hen Classic All-Tournament Team.

The Colonials wrap up their non-conference schedule at home on Friday against Gardner-Webb before they open up conference play against Temple. 

After winning the first game in the Blue Hen Classic, La Salle fell to Drexel 2-0 on Sunday. The Explorers, looking to extend their five game unbeaten streak, out-shot the Dragons, 12-9, but could not get the ball in the net.

Drexel (4-4) broke the scoreless tie in the 52nd minute as Jenna Lindsay scored her second goal of the season. Lindsay also got an assist on an Alex Vazquez goal that got by goalie Gabby Pakhtgian in the 81st minute to put the Dragons up 2-0. It was the second goal of the season for Vazquez.  

Victoria Troccoli and Nicole Sinclair combined on the shutout in goal while making five stops.

Freshman forward Renee Washington, defender Jess Hopton and midfielder Courtney Niemiec earned selections for the Blue Hen Classic All-Tournament Team.

La Salle (5-3-1) will be back in action on Friday against Lehigh before it begins its conference schedule against St. Joseph’s on Sunday.

Dayton’s Colleen Williams and St. Bonaventure’s Nicole Markert received Atlantic 10 Women’s Soccer Co-Players of the Week honors.

Williams showcased her skill for the Flyers when she tallied seven points in two matches, scoring two goals and dishing out three assists. The sophomore midfielder had a hand in five of the six goals scored by Dayton this past week as the Flyers wrapped up their non-conference schedule at 8-2.

On Friday, Williams scored a long shot from 45 yards away with one second left in the first half. She then assisted on both goals scored in the second half in a 4-0 victory of Loyola-Chicago.

On Sunday, Williams closed out the weekend with a goal and an assist in a 2-1 victory over Wright State. Williams leads the entire A-10 in points, goals and assists this season.

Markert won her fifth-straight start and led the Bonnies (6-3) to a pair of wins and a first place finish at the 2010 Puma/Big 4 Tournament hosted by St. Bonaventure over the weekend.

The senior goalkeeper impressed between the posts, allowing just one goal in 180 minutes of action. Markert finished the weekend with four saves, two in each game, and picked up her third shutout of the season in St. Bonaventure’s 1-0 win over Niagara. Because of her outstanding performance in the tournament, Markert was selected to be on the All-Tournament Team.

This season, Markert owns a record of 5-1 and has surrendered just four goals in six starts.

Dan Lajoie can be reached at [email protected].