VIDEO: UMass United Ralley in support of Derrick Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Friday, April 18, 2014

John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Five places to study at UMass -

No Massachusetts magic in Michigan

Maxwell Sparr/Collegian

Ann Arbor, Mich. — Though the Massachusetts football team was able to keep up with a tradition-rich Michigan program until the final whistle blew, it was the big plays ultimately cost it an upset victory at the Big House on Saturday.

The Wolverines created just enough separation to hold off the Minutemen (2-1, 1-0 Colonial Athletic Association), 42-37, in front of 110,187 fans, easily breaking the record for the highest-attended UMass sporting event ever.

Quarterback Denard Robinson led the high-powered Michigan (3-0)  offense with 241 yards in the air and 120 on the ground while accounting for three touchdowns. The early Heisman Trophy favorite completed just 10-of-14 passes, but connected for big plays with wide receiver Darryl Stonum, who caught three passes for 121 yards and two scores.

In the running game, it was tailback Michael Shaw who gashed the Minutemen defense to the tune of 126 yards and three touchdowns on 12 carries, an average of 10.5 yards per rush.

“In the second half, they really emphasized the inside zone play and gave the ball to the back,” UMass coach Kevin Morris said after the game. “I guess one thing to take away was that we held Robinson to only about 350 yards, if that’s a bonus, I don’t if it is.”

UMass  pounded the rock as well, with its combination of tailbacks in Jonathan Hernandez and John Griffin. Hernandez got the bulk of the work, rushing for 118 yards and two scores on 26 carries, while Griffin accounted for 99 yards on 17 chances himself.

Minutemen quarterback Kyle Havens was efficient throughout the game, going 22-for-29 passing for 222 yards and two touchdowns. The senior drove the ball consistently against the Wolverines defense and made only one mistake on his first interception of the season.

Though the overwhelming expectation was that Michigan would easily take care of UMass, Havens had a strong belief in his team heading into the contest.

“I worked hard, we all worked hard and you don’t work hard to lose,” Havens said. “I don’t want to lose, I know everybody thought they would come in and crush us. Never crossed my mind, I told you guys from the beginning. I thought we were going to win this game.”

Despite the hostile atmosphere, UMass came out of the gate strong and seized a 17-7 lead after a 9-yard run by Hernandez with one minute, 17 seconds remaining in the first half. That’s when momentum shifted as Michigan answered with a quick-strike 66-yard touchdown from Robinson to Stonum, followed by another score by Stonum after a Griffin fumble to take a 21-17 lead into the intermission.

“That was a big swing in the game, obviously score-wise and from us potentially being in the lead at halftime to being down,” Morris said. “So certainly it affected the game but we had our shots in the second half and weren’t able to overcome it.”

The Minutemen never led again as the Wolverines tacked on two more touchdowns in the third quarter to make it 28 unanswered points. After falling into an 18-point hole on two occasions in the second half, however, UMass clawed its way back into the contest with a late surge.

With 5:15 remaining in the game, Havens found wide receiver Julian Talley for a 5-yard score to cut the deficit to 30-42. After a failed two-point conversion, the Minutemen special teams blocked a Will Hagerup punt to take over in Michigan territory.

Havens found tight end Andrew Krevis for his second touchdown of the day on a 7-yard pass to reduce the Wolverines lead to 42-37. With 2:05 remaining and only one timeout at its disposal, UMass went for an onside kick with the hopes of getting another chance to pull off the upset. Butthe onside attempt by kicker Caleb Violette went out of bounds to give the possession to the Wolverines, who picked up a first down to run out the clock.

With the win, Michigan hands the Minutemen their first loss of the season as they move to 2-1.

UMass looks to rebound when it returns to action next week at Stony Brook at 6 p.m. on Saturday.

Jay Asser can be reached at jasser@student.umass.edu.

4 Responses to “No Massachusetts magic in Michigan”
  1. Ozone says:

This Michigan fan, born at the University hospital, and raised right to support the Blue through many decades since, salutes your collegians. A tremendous display of the power of confidence, courage, and poise–just what Michigan teams used to be known for, and what the Michigan program now seeks.

2. Chuck says:

All this “intangibles” mumbo-jumbo you are spewing about courage and poise (presumably in a dig at the current Michigan coach) takes away from the really great job that the UMass coaches did in creating a gameplan to exploit Michigan’s known weakness (the defensive secondary) and try to stop their known strength (Denard Robinson). The UMass players did a great job executing it.

This isn’t a Little Engine That Could fairytale, this was a well-prepared team and I’m sure you thought you were complimenting them, but it was backhanded at best.

3. Brian says:

Chuck,

I believe that he was serious and that you should drop the Napolean complex. Clearly, UMass has a great program and along with JMU, Richmond, App State, Montana et al. could compete in any conference and would certainly not be walk-overs.

Don’t read between the lines. Accept the compliment with grace.

MGoBlue,

Brian

4. BobT says:

Great job by the UMass team and fans that made the trip to Ann Arbor. What a great experience… and thnx for the kind words Ozone (please ignore Chuck)! Your fans were welcoming and really know how to do a football game right.