Thursday’s NCAA tournament rematch between UMass men’s soccer and Colgate will be a battle of adjustments -

Veteran belonging and the decline of American communities discussed by journalist and author at Amherst College -

‘UMass Cares About Cancer’ Hosts Blanket Making Event -

UMass women’s basketball heads to North Dakota for two games -

Local Creperie a sweet success

University of Massachusetts alumni Greg Varypatakis wasted no time starting his business after he graduated in May. Beginning renovations while he was still in school, he was able to open Amherst Creperie only a month after graduation.

Varypatakis grew up knowing restaurants, working in his family’s Greek restaurant most of his life. After just one visit to the Creperie, his knowledge of the business is easily detected. This adorable little French-style bistro offers the students and residents of Amherst a tasty and affordable eatery, centrally located in Amherst.

Located on North Pleasant Street, this restaurant appeases all types of cravings. The Amherst Creperie offers a variety of both sweet and savory crepes. With fast-food counter style ordering and a friendly wait staff that brings the food to your table, it is a great place for a casual dinner date.

The wide variety of savory crepes ranges from meat to vegetarian, and all savory crepes include a small side salad served with a smooth balsamic vinaigrette. If the date goes well and you want to order some dessert, your trek will be no further than back to the counter, where you can order from a variety of sweet crepes or a selection of gelatos and smoothies.

The Creperie also serves omelets and breakfast sandwiches, so it is also the place to go if you need a boost before class. The Amherst Creperie is open daily from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m., so it’s even a perfect go-to for late night cravings. The free Wi-Fi also allows students a cozy environment to do homework.

If the description of the menu hasn’t already caught your eye, just take a look at the prices. Crepes range from $2.95 to $6.25, and their 99 cent coffee is both quality-made and affordable.  Varypatakis knows just what it’s like to be a starving UMass student, so the prices remain low to draw college kids in.

You can also alter your crepe any way you want; as long as they have the ingredients they will make it. I created my own dessert crepe when I ordered the D’Amour (made with peanut butter, Hershey’s syrup, and whipped cream) and I asked them to add strawberries. If your mouth isn’t already watering just thinking about that, believe me when I say it tasted absolutely heavenly.

The most popular of the Creperie’s dessert crepes is the Anna, which is made with strawberries, whipped cream, and a choice of Hershey’s chocolate syrup or Nutella. 

The employees of the Amherst Creperie seem to all have the same friendly, upbeat attitude, and they make their jobs appear enjoyable. Varypatakis himself works at the restaurant all the time, and if you have the chance to meet him you will quickly realize how personable he is.

It is no wonder why only three months after opening, the Amherst Creperie’s business is already booming. With one trip to 19 North Pleasant Street you can see for yourself why this little restaurant is already becoming a distinguished eatery in Amherst.

Acacia DiCiaccio can be reached at adiciacc@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Local Creperie a sweet success”
  1. Adam Sweet says:

It’s too bad it’s out of business now. That was a nice place!