Talk to you later, instead of never

Have you heard those kids yelling in the workrooms on the bottom floor of the W.E.B. Dubois library every night?  Most likely, you are hearing the hard work of the student-run organization, Project Instead.  

Project Instead is a unique organization aimed at educating Americans on the dangers of texting while driving by employing a number of viral campaigns. The organization utilizes Facebook, Twitter and its own website, which includes an interactive blog to express its messages. Video will soon be a big part of their communication efforts.

Students in the organization have created original and compelling messages and program platforms to get young people – in the words of the U.S. Department of Transportation – to ”Put It Down.” One they call the “Talk to You Later Team or TTYLT,” another is the creation of the “Designated Texter or DT.” As students and admitted former offenders, members believe they really know what is needed to change the mind-set and habits of those who drive and text.

The cornerstone of their campaign has been built around the idea of “instead.” An Instead is an activity, person stuffed animal; it is anything that you will miss if you were to be injured or killed in a car crash. What would you rather be doing instead of being dead? The group sees “instead” as a thought-provoking and life affirming credo for the organization.

Texting while driving is about six times more likely to result in an accident than driving while intoxicated.  The National Safety Council found that cell phone use leads to about 1.6 million car crashes a year and the average text message takes a driver’s focus away from the road for 4.6 seconds – enough time to travel the length of a football field at 55 mph.  

We, as an organization, understand that everyone “thinks” that their text is a vital piece of information that needs to be expressed at that moment in time, however, here the TTYLT tries to explain that one moment in time is not worth the countless moments lost due to the senseless deaths that occur from texting while driving. This is what we are trying to teach every member of society.

We have created a movement on the UMass campus that is changing the way people view the concept of texting while driving. Even though companies like AT&T and State Farm are creating awareness, this student-run organization is building a huge following and fast. With the financial backing from Rothschild Clothing and more to come from other sources, Project Instead looks to be a nationwide cause in the months to come. If you would like to learn more about the cause contact Project Instead at [email protected] 

Matthew Medney is the president of Project Instead. He can be reached at [email protected].