Micheletto apologizes to fans, aims to regroup following 11-1 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Vermont throttles UMass hockey 11-1 -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass guard Trey Davis: ‘There’s a lot coming at me right now’ -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass ‘big four’ neutralized by Notre Dame in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass basketball can’t corral Grant, Irish in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Frustration haunts Minutemen in 5-3 loss to Boston College -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey drops 5-3 decision to No. 12 Boston College Friday night -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey prepares for nationally ranked Hockey East foes BC, Vermont -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Food scientist proposes way to improve health via breast milk -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons shine in ‘Whiplash’ -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Masculinity: A feminist’s perspective -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball uses size and speed en route to its first win against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Why Melissa McBride is the best actor on television -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

‘Gienie’ in a bottle: Patriots, Browns, and Seahawks highlight week 12 picks -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball secures first victory of the season against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Revisiting ‘The Hobbit’ trilogy as the final installment looms -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Establishing the rules of classroom attendance -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass hockey’s Troy Power reflects as his 100th career game approaches -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Sophomore swimmer Meriza Werenski excelling in increased role -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

SGA senator plans survey on bigotry -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

The “Unplugged” becomes new minority

Meet Arthur. Arthur owns and runs one of the many street corner news stands found around Philadelphia. Everyday customers come to him for the latest news, gossip and good conversation. On Fridays, Arthur goes to his local mosque for prayer where he is an integral part of the local Muslim community. By all appearances, Arthur is average. Arthur, however, is one of a growing minority that is abandoning cell-phones and computers.

These “willfully unconnected” are the focus of University of Massachusetts communications professor Jarice Hanson’s latest research and were discussed at the Center for Public Policy and Administration’s (CPPA) flagship lecture for their fall colloquium series this past Monday.

The presentation, “The Digitally Divided: The New Minority and Willful Retreat from the Information Society” highlighted Hanson’s findings and their relevance for public policy in a digital age.

According to Hanson, the project was an accident.

In an effort to find real world examples of individuals who have decided to “unplug” for her students, Hanson stumbled upon a hidden “network of unconnected.” What was more, “there was a real pride in being unconnected,” said Hanson. With each interview, Hanson was given more contacts.

But who are these “tech refugees?”

Early on, Hanson explained her focus was on those who – despite available access – willfully abstain from connectivity as opposed to those unable to secure access. She found that most tech hermits fall into three categories: self-employed working adults with no children, urban squatters and the disabled. Most participants were well educated, self-identified as readers and all had been connected at one time. Another commonality was a deep-rooted concern for privacy. “Some have real horror stories concerning privacy in their lives,” said Hanson.

Despite being unconnected, all of those surveyed in Hanson’s study felt that they were as, if not more, informed than the rest of the connected public. What’s more, all 24 participants felt their happiness increased after unplugging.

Robin, a photographer from New York, was interviewed by Hanson, felt her decision relieved daily stress levels. “I don’t want anyone interrupting me, or asking for advice every time they go to buy something new,” explained Robin. According to Hanson, the stress caused by constant connectivity is also being addressed in businesses around the nation who have begun implementing e-mail free days.

Robin’s response also highlights the importance those interviewed placed on their decisions being conscious and deliberate. As Hanson pointed out, this violates the common conception of those who have retreated from technology, “it is not a circumstance, but a choice.”

The conscious aspect of un-connectedness holds important implications for public policy and Hanson believes they have been overlooked.

“We think that this [connectivity] is a natural evolution and that the answer to all our problems is more technology,” commented Hanson on popular public policy viewpoints on technology, “[but] sometimes we’re not asking all the questions.”

The CPPA and the National Center for Digital Government & Science will be hosting four additional seminars through out the semester. The next event, titled “Nanotechnology & Society: Emerging Organizations, Oversight and Public Policy Systems,” will be held at 8 a.m. Friday, Sept. 24, registration is required.

Max Calloway can be reached at maxcalloway@gmail.com.