Letters to the Editor

Dear Editor,

To the the University of Massachusetts administration, students, parents, staff and members of the UMass Minuteman Marching Band, and especially to the family of George N. Parks: People across this country share in your loss today, especially your extended band family. Parks brought an element of grace, discipline and excellence to fans of music and marching bands everywhere, and will be deeply missed. And, although we never had the honor and pleasure of meeting him, he will always be part of our lives.

In May 2006, our daughter, a freshman at the time, was named drum major for the new high school opening up in our little town that fall. Her director suggested that she attend that summer’s George N. Parks Drum Major Academy course, held nearby at the University of North Carolina Charlotte, to help develop her confidence and leadership skills. She took the field that fall as a sophomore rookie; the new school had no senior class and as such over half of that first year’s band was comprised of freshmen. And they proceeded to finish second in their class at state finals, an accomplishment never before achieved for a first-year school. Her junior year, the band was moved up to a larger class and still nearly managed to capture the state championship, once again finishing runner-up at finals. And finally, as a senior she led her band to a state championship, as well as to their first appearance at BOA Nationals. To cap the year, the band has been selected to march in the 2011 Macy’s Thanksgiving parade.

I’d like to also add that, since middle school, she had also received recognition as an all-state musician. Unfortunately she was not able to audition as a senior due to travel conflicts; the South Carolina Band Directors Association would not allow a make-up date for her to audition, even though she had a most compelling reason for missing the audition process. You see, we were in San Antonio that week. On January 9th, 2010, her mom and dad sat in the Alamodome with tears rolling down their cheeks as Jaclyn Turner was introduced as drum major for the U.S. Army All-American Marching Band.

I’m guessing that we’re hardly the only family that has had such a great experience through music and band, but I’m so very thankful that we have had the opportunity to enjoy such a great ride. And we will always owe a huge debt of gratitude to Parks for the part his program played in helping Jaclyn develop the leadership skills she never knew she had. We are so very fortunate to have been introduced to the great experience that is band, both on and off the field, and have all made lasting friendships through our collective activities. UMass, as well as the entire music world, lost a great leader today, but I can assure you that his legacy will continue on through the lives of every individual fortunate enough to have participated in his pursuit of excellence.

Our deepest condolences go out to his family, and to his band family as well.

Thank you so much for sharing him with so many of us across the country.

Steve Turner
Fort Mill, SC

——————————————————————

Dear Editor,

The year was 1998 and the University of Massachusetts Minuteman Marching Band won a most prestigious award, the Sudler Trophy, as the nation’s best marching band. There was no better tribute to the leadership of Marching Band Director, George Parks. His excellence and creativity were unparalleled and he was beloved by thousands of students for over 30 years. Not only did he make them “The Power and Class of New England,” he made it fun for all of them, and in doing so established a tremendous amount of pride in all of them. It is no secret that many people who attended home football games did so specifically to see one of the best marching bands in the country, and many stayed after the game just to see their mini-concerts.

A little known story, however, also occurred in 1998. The UMass football team was going for the National Championship in Chattanooga, TN against a powerful Georgia Southern team and they were definitely the underdog. In attendance were approximately 24,000 people, of which were only about 500 UMass fans. Prior to the game the whole mood and tone of the stadium was dominated by Georgia Southern and their fans. It was clearly a loud and one-sided atmosphere.

Then suddenly, as if from an epic movie, still yet unseen, everyone heard the sounds of trumpets blaring off in the distance. The stadium went silent wondering what it was and where the sound was coming from. Then, dramatically, down a ramp came into view the drumbeats and the powerful music of “The Power and Class of New England,” The UMass Marching Band. I am telling you it sent chills down your spine. People were agape with their mouths open, seeing, watching and listening to the best marching band in the country, over 300 strong. From that moment on it turned the whole atmosphere of the stadium over to UMass. UMass owned the stadium from that moment on. I have never seen anything like it.

Make no mistake about it, the UMass football team won the national championship for their great play on the field. But also make sure not to ignore the fact that The UMass Marching Band, under the leadership of George Parks, first changed the whole atmosphere of the stadium in favor of UMass on that day. This is only one tribute to George Parks.

Alfredo DiLascia (Honored to Have Been a Friend of George)
Suffield, CT

——————————————————————

Dear Editor,

The United States is an English speaking country, not a bi-lingual or multi-lingual speaking country. Our government conducts all business in English. Our military communicates only in English. Can you envision military commanders giving commands to attack in numerous languages? U.S. businesses typically communicate in English. One of the many strengths of this country is its outstanding communications system.

All roadside signs, instructions, business correspondence, school classes and general communications should be in English, with no references to any foreign languages.
Immigrants have to learn English and our children have to be proficient in English.

It can be beneficial for people to be fluent in a second language such as Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, etc. Our country needs expertise in foreign languages, but this should be subservient to fluency in English. U.S. citizens who cannot speak and write English as a primary language are probably placing themselves at a disadvantage on the ladder to success in this country.

We should not promote language diversity, because it will lead to divisiveness, the same type of divisiveness we see in numerous foreign countries.

Donald A. Moskowitz
Londonderry, NH