SGA Elections to take place next week

While the nation’s mid-term elections will not take place for over a month, the student body at the University of Massachusetts will soon vote in student government elections.
This year’s Student Government Association (SGA) elections will take place next Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday for the first time ever online via the Campus Pulse application, according to Jitesh Khushalani, Chancellor of Elections. The elections feature four referenda questions, senatorial elections and House Council elections.

The four questions include one pertaining to the creation of an SGA vice president, another question regarding the shifting of SGA presidential veto authority such that motions which have not been signed within one week of their introduction become official Acts of the SGA, a third question which would change the statute of limitation for filing with the Student Judiciary from 90 days to 30 days, and a final question which would remedy a typographical error in the SGA Constitution.

This year’s field of candidates for SGA Senate include three individuals seeking election from Sylvan, one from Northeast, five from Southwest North, five from Central, 12 from Orchard Hill, eight from Southwest South, and 13 candidates for Commuter Senator.

There are 18 candidates for president of House Council, 15 candidates for vice president, 16 for treasurer and eight for secretary.

SGA Elections are next week on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Sept. 28, 29 and 30, respectively.

There will still be one polling place that’ll be in Campus Center Concourse, however, since the elections are online, students can vote at any point during those 72 hours via Campus Pulse.

According to Khushalani, this year’s nomination process was the same as in years past, despite the move to the online format. Election results will be available Monday, Oct. 4.