‘Campus Fashion Gold Star’ goes to…

Joanna Guberow/Collegian

Maddy Bonnanzio, a junior Marketing major, considers her fashion sense trendy. I found her unexpectedly sitting on a bench in front of the library with a textbook and sheets of paper attempting homework diligently.

On a gorgeous sunny Thursday, she has on a high-waisted bluish-gray pencil skirt with button detail. The skirt is by Blossom, a Canadian-based fashion brand. She is wearing a baby pink Ann Taylor Loft tank top with a feminine flower.

For accessories, Maddy keeps it simple, but not understated with metallic periwinkle blue ballet flats by Gap adorning her feet. She carries a khaki shoulder bag with a brown minute snakeskin print detailing, which she believes she got at Bloomingdales. Her finger is wrapped with a silver ring, and she has studs in her ears. Maddy’s short-cropped highlighted hair gives her otherwise sweet ensemble an edgy flair.

The outfit struck me because not everyone wears a skirt to school. A lot of students wear sweats and jeans or shorts on hot days like that Thursday was, but Maddy actually made an effort to stay sassy and cool. The colors were the colors of this fall: light pink and navy blue, but the tank and the ballet flats made it appropriate to wear on a day so hot because Maddy could stay cool. It’s easier to pull on a tank and shorts than to actually still put effort into your outfit on a hot day. You can look cute and still be comfortable. Maddy pulled it off with ease… keeping her trendy fashion sense in check while keeping in mind her schedule. Getting dressed for school be stressful at its worst… she made it look simple.

Maddy says she follows trends, but makes them her own. She says, with a small shrug of her shoulders, that she strives to adapt trends in order to make them comfortable for school. According to the fashion-lover, she would prefer to wear her current look with a pair of pumps instead, but she chose the flats because of all of the walking she must do as a student on campus.

Her favorite trends this fall include animal prints, light pink color tops, and camo/army green apparel. Maddy is a follower of’Project Runway’, a hit show hosted by Heidi Klum. She is also subscribed to a number of fashion magazines, Elle and Vogue amongst them. On cooler days, according to Maddy, you can expect her to be wearing oversized clothes with belts, which she would most likely pair with over-the-knee boots, or preferably, gray suede flat boots.

Maddy Bonnanzio is a fashionista in her own right; taking trends by the reins and adding her touch of personality makes her stand out.

Joanna Guberow can be reached at [email protected].