11 fresh date ideas designed for fun

Courtesy of A Bookish Blog

Dating in college ain’t easy. Between the labels, the formalities, the presents… who can keep up with it these days? What can be even harder is finding a place to go on a date that doesn’t bore you. Who wants to be that guy who suggests the cliché dinner and a movie? So whether you are in the mood to impress or just stuck in a rut, here are some fresh and affordable date ideas that are fun for both of you.

Going on a first date?

• For the active types: Bring your date to the Mullins Center for free public ice skating. If you are an olympic skater, this is your perfect opportunity to show off your skills. If you still need the kiddie crates, your date will find you even more endearing. Either way, you two will be sure to finish up the night cuddling up with some hot cocoa. Check for public skating times and skate rental fees at http://www.mullinscenter.com/ice_rink.aspx
  • Put a spin on the dinner date by trying new food! Downtown Amherst has a great variety of foods from all over the world within just a few blocks. Choose from Paradise of India, Baku’s African cuisine, Miss Saigon Vietnamese cuisine, Arigato Steak House Japanese cuisine, Veracruzana Mexican cuisine, or Moti for Mediterranean cuisine. May I suggest ordering two dishes and sharing. Even if you both don’t end up liking the food, you’ll have fun getting out of your comfort zone. Reward yourselves after with a Bart’s ice cream.

So the first date was a success, now the pressure is on to up the ante for the second date…

• Head to Northampton! This town was meant for dates and hanging out. Downtown is home to dozens of quirky shops and restaurants which means you can shake off the first date jitters and make this one your own. Music lovers, hop down into Turn it Up! record store followed by a visit to the piano shop next door. For a good laugh, browse the goofy knick-knacks and t-shirt collections in Faces. Or if you have a sweet tooth, treat your date to chocolate at the Mocha Emporium. By car, Northampton is only a twenty minute drive down Route 9 from UMass. For those lacking a vehicle, the PVTA regularly runs the B43 bus from Haigus Mall to Northampton. Here’s the bus schedule! http://www.umass.edu/transit/schedules.html
  • Cheer on the UMass basketball team! Girls who are dating sports fans but don’t care for sports themselves, this is your time to shine! Show him you are willing to sit through a game just for him. He’ll love it! These games are not as rowdy as hockey games but are still lively with the UMass Hoop Band and a decent crowd at the men’s games. Check out the season schedule here! http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/umas-m-baskbl-sched.html
  • In the mood to dance? The UMass Ballroom dance team offers free dance lessons ranging from tango to swing Monday nights in the Fine Arts Center lobby. Check the schedule for the dance you want to learn.  http://umass.edu/rso/ballroom/UMBDT/Social_Dances.html
  • Now this is a cute one for the intellectual types and it’s one stop shopping. The Montague Bookmill is a used book store just a couple miles north of Amherst with a moto ‘Books you don’t need in a place you can’t find’. Not only can you rummage through interesting books, you can visit the Louise Minks Studio of art, or grab a bite at whimsical The Night Kitchen Restaurant. They also offer a once a week movie night. http://www.montaguebookmill.com/

Now you two have been dating for a while but have exhausted all the typical date spots. Don’t worry! There are still things to do!

• Get outdoors! Pack a picnic and hike up Mount Sugarloaf in Deerfield. If you aren’t the sandwich type, try veggie pitas or wraps with hummus. The trail is very easy and should take under an hour. Once you reach the top, the views of the Pioneer Valley are spectacular. You can even see UMass in the distance!
  • Everyone loves to be serenaded so why not do it in public at karaoke night at the Harp in Amherst? Maybe you can even perform a duet. It’s very Sonny and Cher. http://www.theharp.net/
  • Cook dinner together! It’s nice to have someone cook for you but it’s even better to have someone cook with you. Remember to keep it simple. Try pizza. Buy pre-made pizza dough and add all your favorite toppings like onion, pepperoni, mozzarella, basil, or buffalo chicken. Get creative! Design the toppings into shapes or words. Follow it up with a dessert and a movie.