180° South: Moving music for a moving documentary

Although the film itself may have flown under your radar, the soundtrack to “180° South” has commanded attention on the indie scene with its ensemble cast of famous musicians.

The lineup includes James Mercer of the Shins, Mason Jennings, Jack Johnson, and, most notably, Modest Mouse’s front man Isaac Brock, under the highly-acclaimed alias Ugly Casanova.

The presence of Ugly Casanova on the album may be surprising to fans, as it has been nearly 12 years since his only release, “Sharpen Your Teeth.” To find out that Brock has decided to quietly resurface this musical persona is like finding a present under the Christmas tree when it’s already six months past Christmas – why the tree would still be up is beside the point.

The album starts off with a brief, but powerful, ambient instrumental piece reminiscent of “Explosions In The Sky” but with a Modest Mouse flare. The following tracks lead into a more linear song craft and are mostly contributed by Ugly Casanova. The music is familiar and easy on the auditory palette, but behind the music you can hear the turmoil and the growth that comes with being a person, which is a very fitting addition to the documentary.

The other artists enhance the moving quality of the film, emphasizing the hero’s struggles on his journey to Patagonia. Particularly, Mason Jennings’s song, “Machines” is the most powerful song on the album. With its swooping electric guitar, traditional folk rhythms and beautiful vocal melodies and lyrics, the song takes you on a journey of self-reflection and melancholic appreciation.

As a whole, it is a perfect soundtrack – you do not even need to see the movie to call it perfect. Just lay down, close your eyes and give it the close listen to it deserves.

Cameron Stenger can be reached at [email protected].