UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Minutewomen host Rams after rainout vs. Crusaders

Amanda Joinson/Daily Collegian

The depth of the Massachusetts tennis team will ultimately decide their future this season and UMass coach Judy Dixon expects all hands on deck now that the fall season is underway. That depth will be tested when the Minutewomen face Fordham Friday at home after their home opener was postponed Thursday against Holy Cross due to inclement weather.

“All of these girls are coming together quickly in a real positive way, and that will be necessary to compete against some of the schools we have coming up,” Dixon said.

Although the fall season is still young, Dixon believes that the previous weekend’s Eastern Collegiate Invitational was the perfect opportunity to evaluate how the Minutewomen will compete match-to- match for the near future, as UMass’ opponents compared favorably to upcoming rival schools.

“We’ve got a bunch of girls here who played well and I expect to see them build on this weekend going into the matches coming up,” Dixon said.

Last weekend provided insight into the projected singles lineup against upcoming opponents. UMass saw two of its younger players, last year’s A-10 All-Conference first team player, sophomore Julia Comas and freshman Jessica Podlofsky come away with single’s tournament championships.

“Julia and Jess played great. They never gave into the opponent during any match and played hard until the end,” Dixon said.

The singles lineup starts at the top with highly-recruited freshman Yuilana Motyl, who didn’t have a sufficient chance to compete at the tournament, losing in the second round of the Flight A bracket after receiving a first round bye. Comas is penciled in as the No.2, followed by a close battle between senior Candynce Boney and freshman Clara Matias for the No.3 spot. The No. 5 spot is currently still up for consideration between a couple players, notably senior Kaitlyn Carpenter, but very soon might be closed for discussion after Podlofsky’s performance over the weekend.

“We’re still working on some things in terms of lineups, but I feel confident with whatever we do will be the best for everyone,” Dixon said.

Doubles play, a crucial factor of collegiate tennis, is still in the process of being constructed for UMass. The weekend provided some assurance going into Fordham in terms of pairings, as Carpenter and sophomore Jocelyn Providence reached the Flight B doubles final, defeating four opponents along the way.

“It was good to see both of them work well together. They communicated all the time, and that’s what it takes to be successful in doubles matches,” Dixon said.

Although there are some highly-talented individual players on the UMass roster, the teamwork and cohesiveness of returning players and underclassmen will be the formula for success this year.

“You can’t win a collegiate event against another school alone. It takes everyone doing their part,” said Dixon. “We will make some adjustments along the way, but this is the group we’re going to compete with, and it seems like things are going well so far.”

Scott Cournoyer can be reached at scourney@student.umass.edu.