Quick Hits: A few standout performances highlight UMass football’s annual spring game -

Northampton cited as city choosing not to comply with ICE -

MASSPIRG hosts seminar on hunger and homelessness -

University Union hosts debate on Electoral College -

Stop fearing World War III -

UMass tennis gears up for weekend of Atlantic 10 matches -

UMass men’s lacrosse to clinch CAA tournament berth with win over No. 10 Hofstra -

UMass softball squeaks past Boston College 2-1 Wednesday afternoon -

UMass men’s lacrosse needs another big game from goalkeeper D.J. Smith against No. 10 Hofstra -

‘Your Name’ will defy your expectations -

‘Wilson’ is the weird neighbor who is worth a chance -

Online shopping may be easy, but retail stores are feeling the effects -

Fourth inning propels UMass baseball over Northeastern -

Fenway Park a unique change of scenery for UMass baseball -

Short-handed UMass baseball pitching staff provides quality work Wednesday in win over Northeastern -

DeJon Jarreau, Brison Gresham to transfer from UMass men’s basketball -

Panel discusses future of reproductive justice activism -

Don’t overlook South Sudan -

Students, faculty concerned about UMass Boston budget cuts -

Man who threatened to bomb Coolidge Hall attends court -

Minutewomen host Rams after rainout vs. Crusaders

Amanda Joinson/Daily Collegian

The depth of the Massachusetts tennis team will ultimately decide their future this season and UMass coach Judy Dixon expects all hands on deck now that the fall season is underway. That depth will be tested when the Minutewomen face Fordham Friday at home after their home opener was postponed Thursday against Holy Cross due to inclement weather.

“All of these girls are coming together quickly in a real positive way, and that will be necessary to compete against some of the schools we have coming up,” Dixon said.

Although the fall season is still young, Dixon believes that the previous weekend’s Eastern Collegiate Invitational was the perfect opportunity to evaluate how the Minutewomen will compete match-to- match for the near future, as UMass’ opponents compared favorably to upcoming rival schools.

“We’ve got a bunch of girls here who played well and I expect to see them build on this weekend going into the matches coming up,” Dixon said.

Last weekend provided insight into the projected singles lineup against upcoming opponents. UMass saw two of its younger players, last year’s A-10 All-Conference first team player, sophomore Julia Comas and freshman Jessica Podlofsky come away with single’s tournament championships.

“Julia and Jess played great. They never gave into the opponent during any match and played hard until the end,” Dixon said.

The singles lineup starts at the top with highly-recruited freshman Yuilana Motyl, who didn’t have a sufficient chance to compete at the tournament, losing in the second round of the Flight A bracket after receiving a first round bye. Comas is penciled in as the No.2, followed by a close battle between senior Candynce Boney and freshman Clara Matias for the No.3 spot. The No. 5 spot is currently still up for consideration between a couple players, notably senior Kaitlyn Carpenter, but very soon might be closed for discussion after Podlofsky’s performance over the weekend.

“We’re still working on some things in terms of lineups, but I feel confident with whatever we do will be the best for everyone,” Dixon said.

Doubles play, a crucial factor of collegiate tennis, is still in the process of being constructed for UMass. The weekend provided some assurance going into Fordham in terms of pairings, as Carpenter and sophomore Jocelyn Providence reached the Flight B doubles final, defeating four opponents along the way.

“It was good to see both of them work well together. They communicated all the time, and that’s what it takes to be successful in doubles matches,” Dixon said.

Although there are some highly-talented individual players on the UMass roster, the teamwork and cohesiveness of returning players and underclassmen will be the formula for success this year.

“You can’t win a collegiate event against another school alone. It takes everyone doing their part,” said Dixon. “We will make some adjustments along the way, but this is the group we’re going to compete with, and it seems like things are going well so far.”

Scott Cournoyer can be reached at scourney@student.umass.edu.