VIDEO: UMass United Ralley in support of Derrick Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Friday, April 18, 2014

John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Five places to study at UMass -

Minutewomen host Rams after rainout vs. Crusaders

Amanda Joinson/Daily Collegian

The depth of the Massachusetts tennis team will ultimately decide their future this season and UMass coach Judy Dixon expects all hands on deck now that the fall season is underway. That depth will be tested when the Minutewomen face Fordham Friday at home after their home opener was postponed Thursday against Holy Cross due to inclement weather.

“All of these girls are coming together quickly in a real positive way, and that will be necessary to compete against some of the schools we have coming up,” Dixon said.

Although the fall season is still young, Dixon believes that the previous weekend’s Eastern Collegiate Invitational was the perfect opportunity to evaluate how the Minutewomen will compete match-to- match for the near future, as UMass’ opponents compared favorably to upcoming rival schools.

“We’ve got a bunch of girls here who played well and I expect to see them build on this weekend going into the matches coming up,” Dixon said.

Last weekend provided insight into the projected singles lineup against upcoming opponents. UMass saw two of its younger players, last year’s A-10 All-Conference first team player, sophomore Julia Comas and freshman Jessica Podlofsky come away with single’s tournament championships.

“Julia and Jess played great. They never gave into the opponent during any match and played hard until the end,” Dixon said.

The singles lineup starts at the top with highly-recruited freshman Yuilana Motyl, who didn’t have a sufficient chance to compete at the tournament, losing in the second round of the Flight A bracket after receiving a first round bye. Comas is penciled in as the No.2, followed by a close battle between senior Candynce Boney and freshman Clara Matias for the No.3 spot. The No. 5 spot is currently still up for consideration between a couple players, notably senior Kaitlyn Carpenter, but very soon might be closed for discussion after Podlofsky’s performance over the weekend.

“We’re still working on some things in terms of lineups, but I feel confident with whatever we do will be the best for everyone,” Dixon said.

Doubles play, a crucial factor of collegiate tennis, is still in the process of being constructed for UMass. The weekend provided some assurance going into Fordham in terms of pairings, as Carpenter and sophomore Jocelyn Providence reached the Flight B doubles final, defeating four opponents along the way.

“It was good to see both of them work well together. They communicated all the time, and that’s what it takes to be successful in doubles matches,” Dixon said.

Although there are some highly-talented individual players on the UMass roster, the teamwork and cohesiveness of returning players and underclassmen will be the formula for success this year.

“You can’t win a collegiate event against another school alone. It takes everyone doing their part,” said Dixon. “We will make some adjustments along the way, but this is the group we’re going to compete with, and it seems like things are going well so far.”

Scott Cournoyer can be reached at scourney@student.umass.edu.