Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Ties becoming an all too familiar outcome for UMass

Maxwell Sparr/Daily Collegian

For most collegiate soccer teams, overtime periods are something of a rarity. They are exciting, tense, urgent and generally infrequent – but not for the Massachusetts soccer team.

Upon tying Dartmouth (4-2-1) at Rudd Field on Wednesday, the Minutemen have had four of their eight games decided in double overtime. With a 1-3-4 record, UMass has as many overtime ties as it does wins and losses combined.

UMass forward Chris Roswess has never seen anything like it.

“It’s getting kind of frustrating now that we can’t just pull out a win,” Roswess said. “It’s definitely the most overtimes I’ve been in [this early in a season].”

The overtime periods have added up to over 90 minutes – the same amount of time in a full regulation game.

“It takes a toll on our bodies, but we’re pretty fit,” Roswess said. “It doesn’t really affect us that much, because we can run all day.”

“I think it helps us get ready for the Atlantic 10,” UMass coach Sam Koch said, citing his team’s resilience. “It’s good extra work. There’s nothing like the game to face situations and to test ourselves.”

The Minutemen have been tested a lot so far this season, especially in overtime. According to Roswess, UMass’ game plan shifts from a standard, balanced attack to a more defensive-minded approach once overtime begins.

“Coach definitely stresses defending, because we don’t want to concede a goal,” Roswess said. “We’d rather have a tie than a loss. We try to stay compact, make sure we don’t concede, then counter and try to get a goal that way.”

For the most part, UMass will keep its outside back in a defensive position throughout overtime instead of letting him make a run into the attacking part of the field – a common practice during regulation.

“We try to do that during the regular 90 minute game,” Koch said. “In overtime we let the midfielders and forwards do their jobs and make sure that we stay organized in the back with the idea that we don’t want to be unbalanced and give them an easy opportunity. [In overtime], an outside back can go forward only if he has a really clear, open opportunity to do it.”

In their current five-game homestand, the Minutemen are 1-2-2. UMass breeds confidence at Rudd Field, but understands that their competition has been more than challenging. Every team the Minutemen have welcomed into their complex has a winning record.

“We’ve had a tough run against very good teams,” Koch said. “I think this team is better than their record, but that’s the record we have. You can talk all you want, but bottom line is we’ve still won one game and have lost three [and tied four]. I think we’re a good team, but we have to start proving it in the win column.”

On Saturday, Siena will visit UMass for a game at 1 p.m. It is the final game the Minutemen will play before their conference schedule begins on Oct. 8 against Xavier.

“It’s bizarre, but we’re kind of getting used to it,” Koch said. “You’re certainly getting your money’s worth as [the fans] get an extra 20 minutes each game.”

Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu.