UMass basketball trounces Northeastern 79-54 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Students and staff discuss racial and social inequality following Ferguson decision -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

UMass hockey falls to Vermont, 3-1 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

One Direction hints at newfound sophistication on ‘Four’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

TV on the Radio sounds rejuvenated on ‘Seeds’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass men’s club soccer fundraises its way to Memphis -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey takes accountability and seeks redemption against Vermont on Tuesday -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Large group of males tries to forcibly enter a Hobart apartment over the weekend -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass forward Zach Coleman excels in increased role against Florida State -

Monday, November 24, 2014

Freshman Emersyn Pullan leading team in net

Courtesy UMass Media Relations

It’s never easy coming into a game to fill-in for a starting player. It’s even more difficult when you’re expected to fill the shoes of a key piece to an offensive rush, or a defensive line or any other critical element to a team’s success.

Now, just imagine that you’re a freshman goalkeeper on a collegiate soccer team and you’re called upon to step into those shoes and be the backbone of your team’s defensive end.

Once you fathom that, you can understand what Emersyn Pullan is experiencing playing for the Massachusetts women’s soccer team.

Pullan, one of nine freshmen to come to UMass to play for coach Ed Matz, has earned the spot of starting goalkeeper in place of the injured regular Emily Cota. The sophomore missed the past two games after suffering a head injury in a collision against Harvard.

Pullman saw her first start against Atlantic 10 powerhouse Charlotte, where she proved herself capable of holding her own in making four saves off of six shots on goal. Though the game ended in a 2-1 loss, Matz was pleased with her performance.

“She looked very good out there today,” Matz said after Friday’s game. “She looked comfortable and didn’t give up any rebounds. She played a great game.”

What proved to be a good performance on Friday progressed into a fantastic performance in net Sunday against another tough conference rival.

In the Minutewomen’s game against Saint Louis Sunday, Pullan pushed aside two saves in a fantastic effort to help lead the team to a tight 1-0 win. The win is Pullan’s first of the season, along with her first shutout, and she could not be more pleased with the results.

“It was a great game,” Pullan said. “It feels great to get my first collegiate win as a shutout against a strong A-10 opponent like Saint Louis. I was really nervous, but I just tried to take it one shot at a time. It shows that I can really compete, both individually and on a team level, against other tough teams.”

Although Pullan doesn’t know her fate with the team, she said she’ll be supportive of her coach no matter what she decides.

“I don’t know if I’ll start or not,” Pullan said. “That is up to coach to decide. If it is in the best interest of the team, then I will. If not, I won’t. I can only do what I’m asked to do, the best I can.”

Sporting an icepack around her left ankle after the game, Matz could only look at her and smile.

“She looks and plays like a badass,” he said.

Dave Martin can be reached at dmmartin@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “Freshman Emersyn Pullan leading team in net”
  1. Jenny says:

nice article however the picture is not of Emersyn Pullan!

2. Jenny says:

thanks for fixing the picture…