Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Darrice Griffin named UMass’ senior associate athletic director for internal operations/senior woman administrator -

Report: UMass football will host Mississippi State in 2016 -

Monday, June 8, 2015

Freshman Emersyn Pullan leading team in net

Courtesy UMass Media Relations

It’s never easy coming into a game to fill-in for a starting player. It’s even more difficult when you’re expected to fill the shoes of a key piece to an offensive rush, or a defensive line or any other critical element to a team’s success.

Now, just imagine that you’re a freshman goalkeeper on a collegiate soccer team and you’re called upon to step into those shoes and be the backbone of your team’s defensive end.

Once you fathom that, you can understand what Emersyn Pullan is experiencing playing for the Massachusetts women’s soccer team.

Pullan, one of nine freshmen to come to UMass to play for coach Ed Matz, has earned the spot of starting goalkeeper in place of the injured regular Emily Cota. The sophomore missed the past two games after suffering a head injury in a collision against Harvard.

Pullman saw her first start against Atlantic 10 powerhouse Charlotte, where she proved herself capable of holding her own in making four saves off of six shots on goal. Though the game ended in a 2-1 loss, Matz was pleased with her performance.

“She looked very good out there today,” Matz said after Friday’s game. “She looked comfortable and didn’t give up any rebounds. She played a great game.”

What proved to be a good performance on Friday progressed into a fantastic performance in net Sunday against another tough conference rival.

In the Minutewomen’s game against Saint Louis Sunday, Pullan pushed aside two saves in a fantastic effort to help lead the team to a tight 1-0 win. The win is Pullan’s first of the season, along with her first shutout, and she could not be more pleased with the results.

“It was a great game,” Pullan said. “It feels great to get my first collegiate win as a shutout against a strong A-10 opponent like Saint Louis. I was really nervous, but I just tried to take it one shot at a time. It shows that I can really compete, both individually and on a team level, against other tough teams.”

Although Pullan doesn’t know her fate with the team, she said she’ll be supportive of her coach no matter what she decides.

“I don’t know if I’ll start or not,” Pullan said. “That is up to coach to decide. If it is in the best interest of the team, then I will. If not, I won’t. I can only do what I’m asked to do, the best I can.”

Sporting an icepack around her left ankle after the game, Matz could only look at her and smile.

“She looks and plays like a badass,” he said.

Dave Martin can be reached at dmmartin@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “Freshman Emersyn Pullan leading team in net”
  1. Jenny says:

nice article however the picture is not of Emersyn Pullan!

2. Jenny says:

thanks for fixing the picture…

You must be logged in to post a comment.