UMass men’s lacrosse’s win streak snapped in battle with No. 18 Towson -

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Closing arguments presented, jury deliberations begin Friday in first of four 2012 gang rape trials -

Friday, March 27, 2015

UMass library opens groundbreaking 3D printing lab -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Defendant in 2012 gang rape case says accuser consented to sex -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

For the love of the craft: UMass Juggling Club -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass lacrosse looks for fourth straight victory versus Towson -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

The dark, twisty special on Robert Durst proves that, yet again, humanity’s biggest “Jinx” is hubris -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Law and order, UMass style -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Hillel fails to represent all Jewish students -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse aims another perfect conference record against Duquesne -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass heads home to take on Albany -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Coming off weekend victory, UMass softball prepares for series against St. Josephs -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

‘The Last Man on Earth?’ more like, ‘The Worst Show on Earth’ -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

A new face for money -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass hopes to carry momentum into weekend series against VCU -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass Theatre Guild to present “Seussical” this weekend -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

UMass eyes the future of its athletics with the hiring of Athletic Director Ryan Bamford -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Derrick Gordon to transfer from UMass in search of more prominent role -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Local author and activist Don Ogden writes to make environmental change -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Chiarelli: Football the center of attention Tuesday at Bamford’s hiring -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Freshman Emersyn Pullan leading team in net

Courtesy UMass Media Relations

It’s never easy coming into a game to fill-in for a starting player. It’s even more difficult when you’re expected to fill the shoes of a key piece to an offensive rush, or a defensive line or any other critical element to a team’s success.

Now, just imagine that you’re a freshman goalkeeper on a collegiate soccer team and you’re called upon to step into those shoes and be the backbone of your team’s defensive end.

Once you fathom that, you can understand what Emersyn Pullan is experiencing playing for the Massachusetts women’s soccer team.

Pullan, one of nine freshmen to come to UMass to play for coach Ed Matz, has earned the spot of starting goalkeeper in place of the injured regular Emily Cota. The sophomore missed the past two games after suffering a head injury in a collision against Harvard.

Pullman saw her first start against Atlantic 10 powerhouse Charlotte, where she proved herself capable of holding her own in making four saves off of six shots on goal. Though the game ended in a 2-1 loss, Matz was pleased with her performance.

“She looked very good out there today,” Matz said after Friday’s game. “She looked comfortable and didn’t give up any rebounds. She played a great game.”

What proved to be a good performance on Friday progressed into a fantastic performance in net Sunday against another tough conference rival.

In the Minutewomen’s game against Saint Louis Sunday, Pullan pushed aside two saves in a fantastic effort to help lead the team to a tight 1-0 win. The win is Pullan’s first of the season, along with her first shutout, and she could not be more pleased with the results.

“It was a great game,” Pullan said. “It feels great to get my first collegiate win as a shutout against a strong A-10 opponent like Saint Louis. I was really nervous, but I just tried to take it one shot at a time. It shows that I can really compete, both individually and on a team level, against other tough teams.”

Although Pullan doesn’t know her fate with the team, she said she’ll be supportive of her coach no matter what she decides.

“I don’t know if I’ll start or not,” Pullan said. “That is up to coach to decide. If it is in the best interest of the team, then I will. If not, I won’t. I can only do what I’m asked to do, the best I can.”

Sporting an icepack around her left ankle after the game, Matz could only look at her and smile.

“She looks and plays like a badass,” he said.

Dave Martin can be reached at dmmartin@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “Freshman Emersyn Pullan leading team in net”
  1. Jenny says:

nice article however the picture is not of Emersyn Pullan!

2. Jenny says:

thanks for fixing the picture…