Pete Yorn to make Pioneer Valley debut

Courtesy of Myspace

Rock and pop singer-songwriter Pete Yorn is on his way to Northampton for the first time in support of his new, self-titled album. Yorn will be performing at 8 p.m. this Monday, Oct. 4 at the Pearl Street Ballroom in Northampton.

As far as popular rock is concerned, Yorn is exceptional. The veteran musician combines the intimacy of folk with the sweeping grandeur of rock and roll. His expertly crafted songs are hook laden and accessible enough to maintain popular appeal, yet retain a rough and rugged edge that sets them apart. He has distinguished himself time and time again in a genre inundated with bland and formulaic music. Yorn is genuine, and he also happens to be really good.

Yorn’s latest album was released Sept. 28 on Vagrant Records, marking his fifth major studio release. Produced by Black Francis of the Pixies, it has been described as “his most self-conscious” and “introspective” record to date, receiving highly favorably reviews.

According to Spin.com, “From the bracing opener ‘Precious Stone’ to the chugging fan appreciation ‘Rock Crowd’ to a heartfelt version of Gram Parson’s ‘Wheels,’ Yorn emerges with his most purposeful, affecting album yet.”

This recent record marks the tenth year of Yorn’s career. Over the past decade he has worked with some of the biggest names in music, including R.E.M. guitarist Peter Buck, Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters, Martie Maguire and Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks, and Bright Eyes Producer Mike Mogis. He has even recorded an album titled “Break Up,” with actress and singer Scarlett Johansson in 2009. Yorn has also toured extensively with the likes of the Dave Matthews Band, R.E.M, Foo Fighters, Weezer, Coldplay, the Dixie Chicks and Semisonic.

A New Jersey native, Yorn moved to Los Angeles in 2000, where he began writing music for film and television. He got his big break when he was asked to score the Farrelly Brothers’ movie “Me, Myself, and Irene,” starring Jim Carrey. His first single, “Strange Condition” was released on the soundtrack.

Following a record deal with Columbia, Yorn released his first full-length album, “Musicforthemorningafter,” in 2001. The album later went gold with the help of the hit single, “Life on a Chain,” one of his most famous songs to date. He followed with a second album, “Day I Forgot” in 2003, which features several contributions from Buck.

Yorn’s third studio album, “Nightcrawler,”  (2006) saw the emergence of a more rock-oriented sound. The record was named one of the top twenty of 2006 by Paste Magazine. His next album, “Back and Forth,” was released in 2009 with Mogis at the helm.

Yorn is now on tour supporting his recent release. According to Spin.com, Yorn is “fronting a tight four-piece band.” The lineup includes, Mark Noseworthy on guitar, Zak Shaffer on bass, and Scott Seiver on drums.

Don’t miss Yorn’s first Pioneer Valley performance this Monday at Pearl Street. The concert starts at 8 p.m. and  tickets are $20 in advance, $25 at the door. Pete Yorn is sure to have a spectacular Northampton debut.

Andrew Cogan can be reached a [email protected].