Three teens arrested in motor vehicle stops

Courtesy of Amherst Police

The Amherst Police Department was busy last week. Since Wednesday, Sept. 29, APD officers have arrested three teens in two separate incidents on drug trafficking charges.

The first arrest took place last Wednesday at about 4:19 p.m., when an officer attempted to stop a car traveling above the speed limit on East Hadley Road. After a short pursuit, the officer stopped the driver at The Boulders apartment complex. The driver, Somrathonak J. Som, 17, of 296 Daniel Shays Highway in Pelham, Mass., was found to have packaged narcotics in his possession. He was arrested and charged with failure to stop for a police officer, possession with intent to distribute a Class D substance, marijuana, possession with intent to distribute a Class B substance, cocaine, and a school zone violation.

Som was held overnight at the Hampshire County House of Corrections in Northampton and was arraigned Thursday morning at Eastern Hampshire District Court in Belchertown.

A second traffic stop which occurred early Thursday also resulted in possession with intent to distribute charges being filed. Officers spotted a vehicle also traveling on East Hadley Road with expired inspection stickers, and, after pulling the vehicle over, found packaged marijuana inside.

Two of the car’s occupants were arrested. They were Caleb Y. Satterfield, 17 of 63 Dyce’s Head, Castine, Maine, and Jack M. Ryan-Ackerman, 18, of 151 Rolling Ridge Road in Amherst.

Satterfield was charged with possession with intent to distribute a Class D substance, marijuana, and possession with intent to distribute a Class B substance, oxycodone and Ritalin. Ryan-Ackerman was charged with possession with intent to distribute a Class D substance, marijuana.

The two were arraigned at Eastern Hampshire District Court last Thursday morning.

None of the three individuals arrested are Five College students.

-Collegian News Staff