Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Get to know Southwest

Southwest residential area may not be the most pleasing to the eye, but it definitely pleases the students who live there.  Designed by renowned architect Hugh A. Stubbins Jr. in the 1960s, the five 22-story towers and 11 low-rise halls are home to approximately 5,500 students.  The buildings all resemble the brutalist style which was popular from the 1950s to the 1970s.

Southwest houses two dining halls; Berkshire and Hampshire respectively, as well as the Southwest Café and a convenient store.  There is a large horseshoe complete with two basketball courts and a large grassy area commonly referred to as “the beach,” which is overflowing with students on warm, sunny days.

The dense, urban feel that the residential area provides is a large reason why Southwest is so popular.  Southwest is the most racially and ethnically diverse place on campus, as well as the most social.

“I always am meeting new people, seeing new faces,” says student Lauren Taber.  “It’s different. It’s a fun atmosphere, plus the dining halls are amazing.”

So any student looking for good times, good food, and an overall excellent dormitory experience will discover that Southwest has it all.

ON THE WEB

News-2-Know is a blog created by B.J. Roche’s Journalism 301 class. Every weekday, an author will write about a topic that is newsworthy and provide links on additional resources. To read the rest of the entries, click here.