Get to know Southwest

Southwest residential area may not be the most pleasing to the eye, but it definitely pleases the students who live there.  Designed by renowned architect Hugh A. Stubbins Jr. in the 1960s, the five 22-story towers and 11 low-rise halls are home to approximately 5,500 students.  The buildings all resemble the brutalist style which was popular from the 1950s to the 1970s.

Southwest houses two dining halls; Berkshire and Hampshire respectively, as well as the Southwest Café and a convenient store.  There is a large horseshoe complete with two basketball courts and a large grassy area commonly referred to as “the beach,” which is overflowing with students on warm, sunny days.

The dense, urban feel that the residential area provides is a large reason why Southwest is so popular.  Southwest is the most racially and ethnically diverse place on campus, as well as the most social.

“I always am meeting new people, seeing new faces,” says student Lauren Taber.  “It’s different. It’s a fun atmosphere, plus the dining halls are amazing.”

So any student looking for good times, good food, and an overall excellent dormitory experience will discover that Southwest has it all.

ON THE WEB

News-2-Know is a blog created by B.J. Roche’s Journalism 301 class. Every weekday, an author will write about a topic that is newsworthy and provide links on additional resources. To read the rest of the entries, click here.