Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Four news faces succeed for Minutemen

As the sun set on Franklin Park in Boston, the Massachusetts cross-country teams had overcome a variety of different obstacles to turn in two strong performances.

The men’s team had four new faces among its top five finishers, who overcame their inexperience to lead the team to a 30th place finish of out 47 teams. The women’s team overcame a series of nagging injuries to improve on last year’s performance, coming in 11th out of 47 teams as well.

The Minutemen were led by junior Patrick McAllister, who led the team for the first time this season with a 90th place finish in 26 minutes, eight seconds. Senior Sonny Gamble (26:16) and freshman Paul Merriman (26:57), who came in 109th and 186th respectively, followed McAllister.

Rounding out the five top finishers for the Minutemen were freshman Jared Reddy, who finished in 187th with a time of 26:59, and junior Andrew Erwin, who came in 199th with a time of 27:06. Only Gamble had placed before for the Minutemen this season.

Dartmouth College was the overall winner of the men’s race. Dartmouth had all five of its placing runners finish in the top 50 competitors, an accomplishment no other school in this competition can boast.
Tom Robbins was the top finisher for the Big Green, coming in fifth with a time of 24:36. Their 138 points just edged out Boston University, which finished with 140 points.

Eric Ashe led BU with a second place finish. The individual victor was Glarius Rop of American International College, who finished in a time of 24:08.

The top competitor for the Minutewomen was sophomore Courtney Baldwin, no stranger to these top finishes.

Baldwin has placed first for the Minutewomen in three of their four meets this season. She crossed the finish line in 18:41, good for 39th place. Junior Karen Roa (18:45) came in second, with a 46th overall finish. Senior Gina Perno, senior Elizabeth Fisk and junior Jennifer Harkey rounded out the top five for the Minutewomen.

“I thought the women competed well, they raced hard. We are still not 100 percent with the athletes,” UMass coach Julie LaFreniere said. “Karen Roa is not healthy, Gina Perno was diagnosed with a sinus infection last week. We have ideas of what we need to work on, we just need a little time to heal from the injuries.”

Boston College ran away with the women’s race, finishing with 26 points. This blew away its closest competitor, Connecticut, which came in second with 116 points.

The Golden Eagles placed four runners in the top five overall finishers, with their fifth competitor coming in 12th. The top individual finisher was Corey Conner of Maine, who crossed the finish line in 16:54.

The men’s team will next return to action on Oct. 16 at the Chili Pepper Festival in Fayetteville, Ark. The women’s team will next be competing at the Rothenberg Race in Warwick, R.I. on Oct. 15. After that, the Atlantic 10 Championships are on the horizon for both teams.

Ben Lambert can be reached at wlambert@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.